“Splendid B&B for a Calgary and area (Rockies) visit”

The Stone Gate Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 De Winton B&B and Inns
Yellowknife, Canada
“Splendid B&B for a Calgary and area (Rockies) visit”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a top choice spot for Calgary and for those who wish to have ready access to the mountains and southern Alberta. It's an easy and direct drive from the airport (approx. 1/2hour) and about 25km to city centre - just a few kilometres from southern city limits. The location is beautiful - rolling hills, ranches and a beautiful golf course nearby. There is easy access to the Kananaskis and Rockies as well. The home is beautifully decorated and very comfortable with various sitting areas for privacy or sharing stories. There is a beautiful sun room for relaxing. Most importantly Kim and Terry are attentive and very welcoming. Full breakfasts are wonderful. We will definitely return to this special spot.

C&R

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Stone Gate Inn Bed & Breakfast is the perfect place to stay. Hosts Kim and Terry Coles are very knowledgable, kind, personable, accommodating, engaging and (Most Importantly!) very Welcoming. Their home is clean and beautifully furnished with all the amenities (shampoo, tea, kitchen) and touches (exercise room, night lights). The breakfast is hearty and delicious!

Each room is uniquely decorated. I stayed in the Golden Moments Suite, perfect for an adult and child, so charming. I assume so entitled because golden rays of sushine poured into the room in the morning. My very tall friend stayed in the Western Heritage Suite and said he had a wonderful night's sleep. The room with bath en suite looks very nice (maybe next time!). The shared bathroom was well appointed (forgot my shampoo), and I was so tempted to take a bubble bath (provided). My friend said he really enjoyed using the exercise room each day.

The breakfast was so delicious - yogurt parfait, ham, eggs, fresh fruit, granola, toast, local condiments, juice, coffee (LOL - and we all visited so much the night before then ran off, we forgot about breakfast). We really felt at home (only better, because the home itself was beautifully crafted by Terry), and not like at home when you were 10 yrs. old with a boat of restrictions, where you can't remember all the rules for a night's stay. The common areas are very nice and my only regret is that we couldn't enjoy the home more, as we were there only a short time. I really enjoyed visiting with Terry and talking hockey and loved the "feeling of friends."

We got lucky staying here (in a B&B exchange), but the location and surroundings were much more to my liking. I wanted an area that was to the south of the city of Calgary, as we were heading back in the morning and this was perfect. Easy access into Calgary for events (towards DeWinton) and easy access south in the morning (towards Okotoks).

Kim and Terry receive high marks for representing the Inn/B&B industry, as well as Canada, so beautifully. I have stayed in all types/locations of B&B's, and this was by far my best overall experience. This was also my friend's first experience staying in a B&B, and his first visit to Canada. He had no idea what it was like and was highly impressed with both. I doubt that he will be as impressed staying at another B&B in comparison.

*Note to Travelers re B&Bs: If you do not want to be engaged in the morning or share common spaces, social/travel experiences or interests, then staying at any B&B is not for you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you are looking for a bed and breakfast in Calgary, you'll not find anything better than The Stone Gate Inn. Kim and Terry have built a gorgeous custom home just outside of the Calgary city limits with spectacular views of the city skyline and the mountains. Even better, though, are the warm and inviting spaces that they have devoted to their guests--an entire floor with two sitting rooms, a workout room, a full kitchen, and a beautiful outdoor patio area. All the bedrooms and bathrooms are bright, comfortable, and immaculate. Depending on your needs, you have the choice of a room with an en-suite, a private bath, or a shared bath. Two of the rooms also have a single bed in addition to the queen bed, making them perfect for families.

We had originally booked all four rooms for a family event in late May, but thought we'd spend a couple of nights beforehand to see the place in person. The Stone Gate Inn was everything I'd have hoped for and more. Kim is such an accommodating hostess and went out of her way to make my husband and I feel at home. The location is also perfect; a quiet country setting but just minutes from the major freeways making it easy to get to everywhere we needed to go in Calgary.

My husband and I have stayed in many B&Bs in Canada, the US, and Europe over the years, but I'd have no hesitation in saying that The Stone Gate Inn ranks up there as one of the best.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank migonette
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was in the process of relocating to Calgary and needed to find temporary housing before I bought my own place. I must say that Stone Gate Inn was the greatest thing that happened to me. Terry and Kim were the perfect hosts, they treated me like family and was extremely helpful. Matter of fact, they went out of their way to help me settle into Calgary and provided me with the much appreciated "family" support that made the frustrations of relocating much easier to bear.

They were truly my family away from home. And I am thankful for the care that they showered and the advice that they gave along the way. I was so delighted that I extended my stay at the Stone Gate for an additional month!!

The place is clean, quiet and nice. It is located just next to the Deerfoot, Macleod and Ring road, making the commute to everywhere in Calgary a breeze - Something that was critical as I needed to travel quite a bit in search of my house. Matter of fact, I was so impressed with the convenience of the location that I ended up buying a house not far from Dewinton :)

I highly recommend the Stone Gate Inn for those who want to experience true Calgarian Hospitality at its best. Thanks Kim & Terry once again for hosting me and I look forward to having my family meet you when I finally make my move to Calgary. Jwee

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifully decorated to make you feel at home...regardless, its the people that m...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jwee T
Walsrode, Germany
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here as our last stopover before flying home from Calgary and we would definitely recommend it. The house is absolutely gorgeous and guests have their own wing downstairs which has it's own kitchen, utility room, bedrooms, piano room and lounge. Our bedroom was stunning and spotlessly clean, the bed was huge! Kim and Terry, our hosts were an absolute delight and would do anything to make your stay more comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and truly Canadian which was brilliant. The view from the house is beautiful and the surrounding area quiet and peaceful however if you so wish you can travel 5 minutes down the road to a lovely restaurant/bar. We would definitely stay with Kim and Terry again if we were in Calgary.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Was on business trip in Calgary and as emergency required to extend the stay for one more day. Tried to book available hotel into corporate tool and all 60 hotels listed were sold out. Found this "The Stone Gate Inn" on Booking.com as place where to sleep over when outside is -20 degree and expected to see kind of motel quality. What the surprise was when I came late at night, saw the hotel and met owners. Beautiful house, comfortable rooms and beds, Family friendly environment, fantastic view to the city, access to full kitchen, living rooms, fireplaces, gym, bathrooms, deck and much more I sometimes didn't receive being Hilton and Marriott Gold member for a years.
Free parking and very good free breakfast provided by Kim and Terry at the morning I usually pay about $15 when stay in another well known brands hotels.
Would recommend this place to stay for any business or Family travelers

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Recently my wife and I had the opportunity of staying at the Stone Gate Inn, Everything about our visit was just perfect. The Coles were superb and attentive hosts and even stayed up into the early hours of the morning to help guide us to our destination, thanks to our late arrival and iffy SatNav. The accommodation was cozy, clean, spacious and very comfortable; and the situation of the B&B charming, with views of horses and deer on the rolling foothills, under big blue Alberta skies, We would highly recommend Stone Gate to anyone looking for great value for money, and that rare commodity, so sorely lacking in the travel industry--true hospitality. We would definitely not go anywhere else if we were to return to the Calgary area and it would be like returning to visit good friends. Kim and Terry are reason enough to want to keep going back, and their wonderfully operated, immaculate, five-star B&B is the delightful bonus.

Room Tip: We stayed in the self-contained flatlet of this B&B, which really made it feel like 'home aw...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Deerfoot Inn and Casino
#35 of 109 in Calgary
Hotel Le Germain Calgary
#10 of 109 in Calgary

Been to The Stone Gate Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!