All reviewsdining roomwhale watching tourbrier islandnova scotiasee whalesseal covegreat viewsecond floorenjoyed our stayget awaydigby necksecond to nonelong timestayed one nightseafoodcoffee makerbeautiful place
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Brier Island Lodge in August, 2017. Not only were each and every staff member overly kind, but also SO helpful and welcoming.

I most definitely recommend this hotel to any traveller!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We came for the whale watching. The lodge has packages for stay and play. Its the main place to stay on the Island. Rooms are large and clean. Some have Jacuzzi tubs in them, which is very nice after your whale watching experience. We had gone to the dinner in town to eat cause the restaurant at the lodge is really expensive.

Stayed: September 2016
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I booked online in May of 2017 for our trip in August 2017. I know the island well as relatives from one side of the family were raised in Westport. This was my first time staying at the lodge, however. I was told not to stay in the old section by family members. I tried to make sense of where I was staying when I did the online booking, but apparently I should have called. When we arrived, I found out that we were booked into room 6 in the original 80s building.

My wife has severe asthma, so once we got into room 6 we realized it was not a great thing. Due to the fact that Westport gets a lot of fog and that the room has no A/C (just baseboard electric heat), the room was very musty smelling. The carpet was old, the bed was old, the bathroom was old. Everything was straight out of the late 80s, when it originally opened.

We informed the front desk that we'd like to change rooms because the room stunk. I was informed that they were full that night, so no help was possible in moving rooms. A few minutes later, the woman that told me they were full showed up at the door with an ozone machine. I’d used ozone in the past to de-skankify cars, so I figured it was worth a shot. We were leaving to meet relatives so I set it for a 2 hour treatment and we vacated the room. When we came back, the smell was much better so at least my wife wouldn’t have an asthma attack overnight.

When we went to sleep, we realized how awful the bed was. I don’t know how old it was, but it creaked and you could feel the springs in your back. Very uncomfortable for 2 people that already have back problems.

The next morning I complained about the horrible bed. The woman at the desk claimed that the bed was fairly new, which I doubted unless they got some sort of closeout sale on garbage mattresses. She looked at their reservation binder (yes, you read that correct, 2017 and they’re still using a paper reservation system). She initially said that we could move into a Jacuzzi suite in the newer section for an extra $10 per night, which sounded great. I was all excited so I went back to the room to tell my wife.

The desk woman came and knocked on our door a few minutes later to tell me that she was looking at the wrong day on their fancy paper reservation binder and there was no availability for the Jacuzzi room. She told us that room 2 was available that night. Room 2 is still in the original building and it was just a double bed instead of the queen we had the first night.

We checked out room 2 and at least the mattress wasn’t a piece of plywood with springs attached to it. We decided to move to room 2. During our swap to room 2 from 6, I had to move a fan, the alarm clock, and the fridge, as room 2 didn’t even have an alarm clock… We slept better in room 2, but it was still pretty dumpy for what we were paying. Also, room 2 adjoins the dining room, and they vacuum in there at about 11:30 PM, FYI.

If you do get stuck in the old building, note that rooms 2 and 6 don’t have anti-scald valves in the showers. So you could freeze or boil at the drop of a hat while you’re showering. Good times!

Note that the lodge doesn’t have TVs in any of the rooms. There are coax cables coming out of the wall, but apparently nothing is connected to them. There are several Bell satellites attached to the buildings, but I guess they are just there for decoration. So when it’s foggy, no TV for you! You’ll stare at the fog, and you’ll like it!

Also note that if you want to sit out on their lawn and look at the view (if it’s not foggy), they have some beat-up Adirondack chairs that will likely give you butt and arm splinters. That is, assuming the chair you sit in has 2 arms. Not all of them have such luxuries as 2 arms. Plastic Adirondack chairs don’t cost much, but apparently guest comfort and the overall guest experience is low on the list of priorities at the Brier Island Lodge.

So in summary, this is what happens when there is no competition and a captive audience.

Room Tip: Save yourself and your vacation! Ask for the new building!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This was the first time staying at the Brier Island Lodge. My family and I booked here after winning a whale watching tour with Brier Island Whale and Seabird Cruises. The lodge staff were friendly. The rooms were ok. No tv in the room was hard with children. A microwave I the room would have been nice since we are a family that packs meals. Wish we had a top floor room so we could have a better view of the water.its a very peaceful spot that over looks the whole Bay. Would go back again for sure

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed one night at the lodge. The host was very nice and helpful and was able to answer all our questions.
The room with an ocean view on the second floor was great. It had a whirlpool bath and a shower. Coffee pot and fridge were in the room. There are no tvs but didn't mind that. We did have wifi with a strong connection so you can easily stream on any devise.
The bed was comfortable. There is no air conditioning but there are fans in the room.
Breakfast was included in our package and we had an omelette, toast, fruit and coffee. Delicious.
Just a short drive you will find a general store and liquor store.
A great stay, I would defiantly recommend.

Room Tip: Second floor ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple