Club Surf Popoyo
Machele's Place(Tola)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$92
Aqua Wellness Resort(Playa Redonda)
US$204
US$120
Hotel Punta Teonoste(Tola)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$88
  • Breakfast included
Mukul Beach Golf & Spa(Playa Manzanillo)
US$514
US$460
US$469
US$420
Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$92
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)
US$74
US$70
Travelocity
Hotel Brio(Playa Gigante)
Agoda.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspizzahis wifeplace to staytiramisuexcellent locationgreat foodair conditioningawesome staffevery mealpoint breakplace is greatwe loved our stayprivate bathroomfilippoboattripsspots
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We've stayed here three years in a row now, its simply the best place in Popoyo, the food is amazing - pizzas are particularly good as is the fresh fish, its good value for money, we paid about 27 a night for air con rooms and that included a big free breakfast.
Everything you could need from airport transfers, road trips to surf spots and boat trips is taken care of by Fillipo whenever you need it - he's a gentleman. He's really good at responding to emails - we left for El Salvador and decided to come back again a week later and he sorted us out with a room at short notice.
A special word for Rafa the surfguide who was always on the ball with getting us to the surf and just being a good dude.
The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Popoyo reef - this is good for dawnie sessions.
There's not much else to do here if you don't surf but if you do, you're in the perfect place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank arantimeall
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in another hotel but ate here / hung out for almost every meal and snack. Filippo is awesome as he hooked us up with great food, boat trips to surf, car trips to surf and just about everything else. He runs it like an American place - spotless and efficient. He even let me keep a tab of everything and pay at the end with a credit card. Filippo is the Man!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gene S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived past midnight from the airport and Felip had waited up for us to show us to our room. We were traveling with our toddler and everyone helped watch out for her. Felip checked in with us everyday to make sure we were okay and so did all his staff. We were in Popoyo during semana santa and our hotel felt like an oasis for the parties on the street. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach for a quieter night sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 34ALV
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Planned a trip as a couple to Popoyo- my partner surfs and I do not. Having traveled to many surf spots in Central America I made the incorrect assumption that Popoyo would be similar in that there would be enough to do for me as well. However, Popoyo and Club Surf are aimed at surfing and not much else. This is not a bad thing in and of itself but it was a negative for me as the non surfer. I wish I had known this beforehand when planning the trip so I am writing this review from my perspective to inform future travelers in my situation.

As a non surfer I would not recommend Popoyo or club surf because 1) there is no beachfront "hangout" area at club surf. If I'm not surfing I like to have a chair or hammock or something to relax in while on the beach and club surf does not have these facilities. It's beach front but there's a large empty space between the hotel building and the actual beach and the view of the ocean/beach from the hotel is blocked by vegetation and the empty property between. There are actually very few places in popoyo that do have beachfront facilities. The area is mostly private home rentals and a few hotel/hostels. It was not pleasant to lay directly on the sand because the winds were strong and I was whipped by the blowing sand if I laid down to read 2) since there are very few places in Popoyo and access to them is limited, your options for food are basically your accommodations. Club surf has hands down the best food in Popoyo but I like to venture out and you can't really do that 3) this is not the fault of club surf, but the power went out daily, sometimes twice daily, in Popoyo and we ran out of water once so keep that in mind 4) I assume because of the power outages, a long time for the heated water to return so we didn't have a hot shower until our 3rd night. Because the water was running out the first night, the water pressure was really low and I wasn't able to wash my hair after a long day of travel and swimming in the ocean 5) the bed and pillows were not very comfortable and my back and neck ached after sleeping. For $60-$65/night I expected better quality. We paid less in Granada and San Juan for significantly nicer accommodations.

I've been a round the world backpacker on the cheap and have dealt with these types of things before, but this trip was not in that spirit. It was my first holiday in 2 years and Popoyo and club surf were just not what I had in mind.

However if you are simply looking for a true surf trip and all you need is a place to lay your head and eat your meals then you will really enjoy Popoyo and club surf. The beach is beautiful and clean, there are two breaks within walking distance, the accommodations are adequate, private and cleaned daily (and from the looks of things one of if not the nicest places in Popoyo that's not a private home) and the food is really delicious especially the pizza.

Otherwise, I recommend heading to playa maderas round the corner from San Juan for a chill surfing vibe with more choices.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bluepassion264
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This place is incredible - great rooms that are cleaned daily, air con and fan, hot water, fabulous restaurant with to die for food and the owner is friendly, hospitable and laid back. It feels like a five star resort, without the price tag and without the arrogance. Highlights on the menu: lobster pasta and make sure you come for pizza night! The owner is Italian - you won't get pizza that good anywhere else in Central America.

• Stayed: April 2014