Soma Surf Resort
Hotel Ola Verde(Popoyo)(Great Value!)
US$35
Los Cocos Beach House(Popoyo)(Great Value!)
US$20
Nicawaves(Popoyo)(Great Value!)
Hostel Sunset Villas Popoyo(Popoyo)(Great Value!)
Cafe Cerveza(Popoyo)
  • Beachfront
Nicawish Hostel(Popoyo)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewshorseback ridingother guestsskill leveldry seasonsurf resortexceeded our expectationsshort drivefood and drinkstidal poolsfishing villagegracious hoststostoneswent smoothlythe food is greatalready planning our next trip backperfect temperaturegorgeous infinity pool
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Soma Surf Resort is a peaceful and beautiful place. We were to only stay one night but after we arrived and fell in love with the tranquility, we decided to stay another two nights. The owner, Casey, was fantastic. She helped us coordinate activities (horse back riding, beach adventures, massages, hot springs) and it was very fun to talk to her to learn more about her venture into Nicaragua. The rooms are spacious, super clean, comfortable and modern. They are top notch. One of my best trips ever was to Nicaragua and Soma Surf Resort helped to make it that. Food was good too. Try the hummus and the chicken pesto salad. The road to get to Soma (and the general area) may be trying, but the playa and the montañas are worth it! Highly recommended, excellent value. I would definitely visit again!!!

Room Tip: Several options to choose from. Air conditioning is nice and hot showers are great!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ksimmonlowman
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I've never written a travel review until now, that is how inspired I was by my stay at Soma! I've travelled quite a bit at both ends of the travel spectrum, and for my tastes, that I would describe as adventure travel with Four Seasons sensibilities, Soma was truly top notch. Soma provided it all! Laid back luxury, with the perfect balance of privacy and attentiveness. Casey and Bill, the proprietors, are truly lovely people, that care deeply that their guests have the best possible experience while staying at Soma. One of my favorite experiences of my stay, was how pleasurable the other guests and staff were - I truly enjoyed getting to know everyone and sharing the experience with such authentic, interesting, open people. I found the local people we encountered to be nothing but kind, honest, warm and sincere. The tour of the volcano and horsebackriding on the beach were my favorite highlights. I was pleasantly surprised by how healthy, fresh and consistently delicious the food that Soma served was.. there aren't too many beautiful places left in the world where one can travel free of canned tourism, and this area of Nicaragua is one of them. My husband had a fabulous time fullfilling his lifelong dream of going to a surf safari, and I as a non-surfer had a fantastic time with many excursions to choose from as well as enjoying lounging around the pool and taking naps in our extraordinary bungalow.. I have truly not slept that well in years.. just perfect! I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly T
Reviewed 19 November 2011

1.THE FOOD 2. THE SPACE 3. THE LAND 4. THE SURF 5. THE PEOPLE 6. THE VIBE 7. CASEY + BILL
1. Food was excellent: light, filling and tried many things on the menu and they were all great. (veggies be sure and tell Casey and she will accomodate) 2. Beautiful, gorgeous, serene. I got there and my jaw dropped. I would lay on the hammocks where there is quiet space to look out over the UNTOUCHED hills with cows grazing, take a yoga class, or sparr with Bill. Infinity pool and beautiful bungalows tastefully designed and built with respect for the land 3. Beautiful and rugged; an indigenous area, weather was great. 4. I've surfed in many parts of the world, Nicaragua is way up there with waves for all levels 5. Nica's are the sweetest, coolest and down to earth people. 6. It starts with Casey and Bill. They love what they do, they enjoy making the guests happy you can tell; its GENUINE. Anywhere you want to go they arrange to have you driven; surf at 5 a.m. volcano tour, horseback riding, tide pools...They set the tone, it is paradise and it isn't expensive at all. 7. Casey and Bill are wonderful, its like I have known them for years, a very family vibe. I felt very much at home. They employ local Nica's and they are all happy to be there and very cool. Not pretentious, laid back, accommodating, inexpensive, great vibe I can't wait to go back. Oh yeah, last but not least...the BEDS are soooo comfortable, slept great. Can't wait to go back!
Caveat: Food takes a while to be prepared so order early, take a shower, or dip in the pool, then eat. It can feel a little isolating, not much nightlife around. Not on the beach, but the view alone is worth it. You don't want to surf the same beach anyway...they take you wherever you want to go. Theres lots of good breaks nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2011

How often do you plan a vacation and everything you want to do, you do and it goes off without a hitch? I would say never, until now. I travelled with my wife, little 6 year old daughter and best friend to Nicaragua to catch world class waves and have jungle adventures. We stayed for 6 nights, 7 days. Casey and Bill run the place and they are Americans with an amazing sense of design, artistry and knowledge. They are warm and accommodating. They really know the area and if they don't know something they have locals around them that are extremely knowledgeable and have grown up their whole lives in San Juan Del Sur. The boutique hotel is perfectly placed on top of a small hill just a quick ride to some amazing beach and point breaks. If you want to go out on a boat to surf some bigger breaks that is easily accessible and affordable from SOMA. At first you would think that you want to be on the beach, but the truth is that the beach can be tough all day (with the sun) and night and the atmosphere is more of a backpacker crowd. The genius of Bill of Casey is recognizable in so many ways. They have created an environment where families can come and have fun if they surf or don't. I went out surfing with my buddy and the girls went horseback riding. The accommodations are upscale, but the cost is reasonable. The beds are so comfortable I think I slept at least 9 hours a night except for the last night, because we woke up and did a dawn patrol session at Popoyo beach. The food is fantastic and the people we met and hung out with seemed to be of the same mindset. You can go horseback riding, Yoga, explore the tide pools, visit the volcano Mombacho and go zip-lining (this was an incredible experience). http://www.mombacho.org/ This is the official site, but I think its only in Spanish.

I would recommend getting picked up by SOMA from the Managua airport. It's tricky to get out there and you don't want to mess around with all the dirt roads and streets without street signs. Nica's are not great about signage. Once you arrive you know you went to the right place.

I went for my 40th birthday and typically my wife and I don't ever travel to the same place twice, but we both talked about going back to SOMA. Thank you so much Bill and Casey for thinking of everything and making or day trips effortless and incredibly fun.

Make sure you read the faqs page before you go and definitely get some Nicaraguan money (Cordobas) if you plan on buying some gifts and going to the small towns.

If you are going to surf in Nicaragua SOMA is has to be your first choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow and it was extremely comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Adam M
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Very much like Miramar and Buena Vista, Soma was conceived and is operated by a couple who carefully planned this business for years. Everything from the location, bedding, common areas and amenities reflect thoughtful and savvy proprietors. Surf-centric trips are no longer about “roughing it.” I want a nice view, beautiful accommodations, delicious food and all the creature comforts if I can find it. (Like Peru, where finding hot water for the shower was a luxury?!)

Soma was so beautiful, my name-dropping, manolo-wearing, weekly mani/pedi, prima donna friends would have been pleased. (But I’d leave them home anyway.) When I came back home, I told my buddy about a place he could go surfing and his wife wouldn’t be miserable, complain and do nothing the whole trip.

The resort is perched up on a breezy hill, about 1-1.5 miles from the beach. I was expecting Popoyo to be the crowded tourist mecca known as Tamarindo and Soma to be a luxury resort that sort-of offered some surfing- I’ve never been so happy to be totally mistaken. I think I was 2 places for ding repair and 1 bar in the whole town (okay, I probably missed a lot), but it’s a far FAR cry from overbuilt northern Costa Rica. And Soma proximity to the breaks is no different that the dozen other surf “camps” in the area.
I went on this trip primarily to surf. I requested a 7'6 of 7'8 funboard to rent in advance of my arrival. They had been able to promptly procure a board and have it the day I checked in. We usually sorted out the next day’s game plan the night before- how I felt, when was high tide, what beach Bill recommends for me under the expected conditions. And for those early times, the coffee was brewing by 430AM.
I didn't see too many dining options or bodegas’ in the area. At Soma, the owners and staff were always around so that I could dine at my convenience. I do suggest that if your surfing or plan on being particularly active, to pack some energy bars, nuts, dry, portable food.
I took a day to do the volcano hike. For the park fees, guide, food, water, snacks, I suggest you bring $50 (solo) or $40 per person (2+) minimum in small bills. They have bathrooms there but- I highly recommend you pack some toilet paper and hand sanitizer because the bathrooms can run out of those things. The truck makes 2 stops. First stop is a cafe where you can buy bags of coffee as gifts, cookies, pastries, water, and order hot drinks like coffee and cocoa. The cafe is priced in USD. You have about 10 minutes, and then you get back in, and continue up to the park station. If you want to eat something more substantial, wait till you arrive at the park station at the top of the hill. The final stop also has water, snacks and sports drinks that are far less expensive than the cafe.
I did the puma trail- they told me it takes about 4 hours but I completed it at a moderate pace in 2.5 hours. It not hard, but with stone steps covered in mud and wet leaves, hilly stairs at 40 degree angles, chose footwear with traction, I’m glad I didn’t wear my running sneakers. Flip flops are not a good idea either. And be mindful of the time- the trucks that take you back down come every few hours, not every hour or half hour, ask the rangers when the next truck is arriving before you start your hike.

Room Tip: Its hard to tell in the pictures, but the private bungalows have vaulted ceilings with nickel polished ceiling fans (and AC).
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo