“Perfecto.”

Soma Surf Resort
Edmonton, AB
“Perfecto.”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

After the long drive in the middle of the night I must say we were getting a bit nervous... But when we arrived at Soma we were absolutely floored. Casey and Bill have created a beautiful, comfortable, and completely relaxing little spot. Delicious, fresh and healthy food... Yummy drinks... Friendly and helpful staff... The best of everything. You have absolute freedom to be as active or as lazy as you want to be... The pool, hammock/yoga rancho and rooms are gorgeous, Bill is a wicked surf instructor, and overall the two of them really know how to create a tranquilo environment. It was so hard to leave. Can't wait to go back... Hopefully soon!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had lunch at SOMA today. The food was so, so good. Would have been the best lunch ever if it would have been anywhere. We toured the hotel and would recommend it to anyone. Very fresh, clean and well designed.

Room Tip: All looked great!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Traveling to Nicaragua during the "down surf" season was a fabulous way to spend the Winter holiday. The SOMA Surf Resort and staff were thoughtful and extremely friendly (not to mention tremendous culinary professionals on Christmas). My wife and I were able to visit 99% of the sites with a 2WD Toyota; however, we'd suggest renting the more robust Hilux.

This is a worthwhile trip at a worthwhile resort. I hope to return soon!
We posted a video here: http://vimeo.com/34634955

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Richards Landing, Ontario
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We have just returned from a week in Nicaragua at Soma Surf Resort. Our goal was to be in a place that was comfortable and relaxing for a family gathering, and at the same time, to have access to activities that we could do together. SOMA exceeded our expectations. My eldest son had just returned from teaching in Mozambique, and my youngest son and his girlfriend were in the midst of a several month cycling trip. In addition to the activities arranged for us outside the resort such as yoga, riding horses up a remote river bed, and beach activities such as surfing, Casey also gave boxing lessons!! The food was fresh, local, and wonderfully prepared. Casey's staff are eager to please and share themselves with us. We felt more like pampered friends than guests. The accommodations were first class; both comfortable and private.
We rented a 4WD from the airport in Managua and my one recommendation to travellers would be to do the same. The roads closer to the resort are very rough. The signage is quite sparse the further one gets from Managua. Casey is extremely responsive to any questions you might have as far as travel and once you are at the resort, you are in excellent hands!
My son and his girlfriend have continued their travels, cycling in Nicaragua and south to Panama. We have come back to winter. Our visit to SOMA was my gift to my family, and it was a huge hit with all of us.

Room Tip: This is a boutique hotel. All the bungalows are the same and you can't go wrong with any one of...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet M
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We decided on a trip to Nicaragua (seventh visit) for a long weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday the first weekend in November. We had heard a lot of great things about Soma and decided to check it out. We picked up our 4WD at the airport and headed towards Rivas. Had a blast in the 4WD on the road from Rivas to the coast--road was a little rough due to all the rain earlier in the week.

The property itself was immaculate--contemporary, fantastic views of the countryside, large guest rooms and beautiful gardens. The restaurant was great and the staff did a fantastic job and were very pleasant. Casey and Bill were great hosts and seem to have a great handle on the local area.

All of the other reviews are accurate, so there's not a lot more that I can add. We'd definitely recommend this property to anyone that wants to get away from it all.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Soma Surf Resort is a peaceful and beautiful place. We were to only stay one night but after we arrived and fell in love with the tranquility, we decided to stay another two nights. The owner, Casey, was fantastic. She helped us coordinate activities (horse back riding, beach adventures, massages, hot springs) and it was very fun to talk to her to learn more about her venture into Nicaragua. The rooms are spacious, super clean, comfortable and modern. They are top notch. One of my best trips ever was to Nicaragua and Soma Surf Resort helped to make it that. Food was good too. Try the hummus and the chicken pesto salad. The road to get to Soma (and the general area) may be trying, but the playa and the montañas are worth it! Highly recommended, excellent value. I would definitely visit again!!!

Room Tip: Several options to choose from. Air conditioning is nice and hot showers are great!
1 Thank ksimmonlowman
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I've never written a travel review until now, that is how inspired I was by my stay at Soma! I've travelled quite a bit at both ends of the travel spectrum, and for my tastes, that I would describe as adventure travel with Four Seasons sensibilities, Soma was truly top notch. Soma provided it all! Laid back luxury, with the perfect balance of privacy and attentiveness. Casey and Bill, the proprietors, are truly lovely people, that care deeply that their guests have the best possible experience while staying at Soma. One of my favorite experiences of my stay, was how pleasurable the other guests and staff were - I truly enjoyed getting to know everyone and sharing the experience with such authentic, interesting, open people. I found the local people we encountered to be nothing but kind, honest, warm and sincere. The tour of the volcano and horsebackriding on the beach were my favorite highlights. I was pleasantly surprised by how healthy, fresh and consistently delicious the food that Soma served was.. there aren't too many beautiful places left in the world where one can travel free of canned tourism, and this area of Nicaragua is one of them. My husband had a fabulous time fullfilling his lifelong dream of going to a surf safari, and I as a non-surfer had a fantastic time with many excursions to choose from as well as enjoying lounging around the pool and taking naps in our extraordinary bungalow.. I have truly not slept that well in years.. just perfect! I would go back in a heart beat.

1 Thank Holly T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
La Jolla Hotel
La Jolla Hotel
#1 of 1 in Popoyo
Hotel Punta Teonoste

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!