“Soma rocks”
Review of Soma Surf Resort

Soma Surf Resort
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Do not miss the opportunity to see Nicaragua beacause you don't know where to stay. This is the place. It is really off the beaten path. Awesome for surfing for my 15 year old son but my 14 year old daughter had equally good time. The resort arranged for fishing, horseback riding, local excursions including zip lining, cigar factory, coffee plantation. Casey and Bill, the owners, provided personalized service that can't be equalled. I am particular for my accommodations, and travelled extensively in central America. This was my favorite trip. Both of my kids want to go back with their friends. That is the strongest endorsement for a couple of California teens.

Room Tip: The bungalows were a little more spacious and worth the nominal additional expense. Go to Yolanda...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2012

You know when you are trolling the net looking at photos of Hotels,resorts etc? All look pretty good eh? Then when you arrive, S@#t ,not how it looked online..?? Well what if you booked somewhere and it was 10 times better than it looked on the bloody Internet? Enter Soma Surf Resort. I spent 8 nights in November and believe me when I say ,don't hesitate, just stay here!I felt guilty for the care I got compared to what it cost .........From fast Eddies pick up at the airport, Mad Max's spanish lessons, the food, the surf hell i'm goin back now

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I came to Nicaragua to celebrate my 50th birthday and enjoy empty waves with my 11 year old son. We had an amazing experience. Bill and Casey took care of everything. All we had to do was show up at the airport. They have created a place like no other -- and I have traveled throughout Central America. The rooms were spotless, the food fresh and delicious, the staff kind and helpful. I look forward to returning soon. Thanks Bill for being so great in the water with my son, and Casey for making everything effortless.

Room Tip: All rooms are pristine. I would have no problem with any of them. Some bungalows are more removed f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gordon G
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This was truly the highlight of our trip to Ncaragua. We spent 3 nights there with along with two of our friends and all of us talked about how we should come back and bring all our other friends here. The food and service was excellent. Casey, Bill and the staff were amazing hosts! It was great that Bill was willing to take us pretty much anywhere we desired to show us the true beauty of the Popoyo area, still very rustic and untouched. The bungalows were beautiful and very spacious!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I think the reason it has taken me so long to write this review is that I wanted it to be perfect - and how does one put into words the most restorative, relaxing, adventurous, one of a kind trip you've ever been on? And maybe I was a little intimidated that my review would fall short of describing the incredible experience SOMA gave me, the truly special and unique place Casey and Bill have built. I traveled to SOMA mid August 2012 and the trip has not left my mind since, I find myself searching online wondering how to create such another unbelievable trip and realize that maybe I just need to plan another to SOMA! After all, I did just buy my first surfboard upon returning to Los Angeles! I'd never surfed a wave in my life and SOMA is so much more than just that, but I'm grateful I was able to be turned on to such an amazing sport while there.

This is the type of place perfect for solo travelers, family, groups of friends, romantic couples. Really, Casey and Bill have built a place that attracts visitors who are like minded and add to the experience. You don't need to be a surfer or even attempt it to have a truly beautiful vacation - though I'd highly recommend it. They'll be sure you stand your first time. My favorite part about SOMA was how small it was: three bungalows and two rooms means lots of personal service. Casey and Bill understand what they created is more than just a place, it's an experience that the traveler has not yet even fully defined in their mind.

SOMA staff take care of your needs before you realize you have them! They make everything easy - you want to maybe learn to surf: hop in the pick up truck, the dogs and boards in the back and they'll drive you down the dirt roads where horses are running out in front of the truck. You'll get to one of the biggest horizon lines you've ever seen - sheer beauty, no one on the beach, warm water and so you try to surf. The dogs guard your towels and bags left on the beach from maybe the other four friendly surfers walking down. And it's great. It's perfect: you're out in the water in one of the most beautiful, undeveloped places. You even stand up your first time. Then worn out they drive you back you walk up the steps to SOMA and are greeted with a smile. Someone takes your surfboard, the only question you are asked is "would you like a mojito with lunch?" Then fresh, healthy, tasty food and an unbelievable drink is brought to you -- in the pool! You lounge, nap and maybe head back to the beach. Who knows, maybe you are into this surfing thing.

And you'll sleep so well. By the end of the trip you feel rested, healthy, fit (and you didn't even think you were going to try that whole "surfing thing").

Seriously, as a single female traveler, I wish I could put into words have perfect this trip was. Everything was easy, everything was taken care of, all I had to do was enjoy.

THANK YOU CASEY, BILL and SOMA!

Room Tip: I'd book the bungalow.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

When looking for a vacation spot this summer, my wife and I were not having much success finding something that we agreed on. Soma came up on jetsetter.com and we were intrigued. After reading the rave reviews on tripadvisor.com, my wife actually had doubt that Soma could be as good as everyone said. We emailed Casey with some travel questions and heard back from her that day. By that night we were booked!

From the Northeast it was an easy flight to Miami and then a surprisingly short flight (2hr20min) from Miami to Managua. Eddie was waiting at the airport to drive us to Soma - appx 1 hour on the "highway" and another 45-60 min on the dirt road to Soma. The scenery on the drive was incredible and made it go by quickly. My wife, who does get carsick, was fine in the backseat of the truck, Eddie is a very careful driver and we felt safe on the road the whole time.

When we pulled up to Soma, it was just like in the pictures we had seen on the website and here on tripadvisor. Amazing. The property is in the hills about 10 min drive from some of the best surfing in the world. It's about an acre but the layout maximizes the use and views of the hills and ocean. There are 3 detached bungalows and 2 rooms attached to the main building. We had bungalow #1 with 2 full beds and a huge bathroom. The room was very nice, clean and well maintained. There was A/C and we were reminded not to run it when we were not in the room. Soma also has a pool and outdoor eating area, as well as the yoga platform with hammocks to nap in.

That afternoon, while relaxing in the pool, Bill and Casey were around, in the office but available to answer questions and plan our activities for the week. We wanted to do some surfing and light hiking but were also looking forward to doing nothing by the pool for some of our trip. We decided to go surfing with Bill the next morning, my wife would get a lesson and I would surf on my own.

We ended up surfing 2 of the four full days we were at Soma, the other days we went on a beach hike to Magnific Rock and got a tour of Granada with Eddie. Most of our meals were made to order at Soma, some of the best food I've ever had. They have a full menu and fresh fish of the day that is literally delivered there by a local fisherman. Four days was a good length vacation (not including travel day to get there and the day we left) but we wished we could've stayed longer.

Bill and Casey are great hosts, available all the time yet respectful of our space. I would say that Soma lives up to the hype and then some and we will be going back soon I hope!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas P
Reviewed 29 August 2012

As the other reviewers have written, Soma is an amazing place to stay. With only 5 rooms available the resort is the perfect place to hang out and relax. The owners are wonderful, the food is great, the staff is helpful, and the resort is in a beautiful location. The location is a bit out of the way and although our cab driver was able to find it with the aid of the directions on the Soma website, I would recommend making arrangements with Soma to pick you up instead.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
La Jolla Hotel
3 mi away
99 Surf Lodge
99 Surf Lodge
#6 of 14 in Popoyo

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!