“Perfection”

Soma Surf Resort
Chicago, IL
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

You can not ask for a better resort experience. My wife and I went for our anniversary trip and had such an amazing time at Soma. Bill and Casey are excellent hosts and do everything they can to make your trip perfect. We had a great blend of activities (horseback riding, surfing, hiking) and relaxation (daily naps in the hammocks!). Eddy was our driver back and forth from the airport since we landed at night and he was fantastic. On the way back to Managua he helped us find the hammock shop so we were able to purchase the exact same hammocks they have at Soma!

Bill was a great surf guide for my wife and I; we had never surfed before and had a blast. I honestly do not know why more people do not make Nicaragua a winter destination, the empty beaches and beautiful weather are great. Casey helped us plan our days and encouraged any deviations when we realized we needed to schedule some more relaxation time. The massages there were among the best we've ever had and galloping down the beach on horseback was outstanding. Everyone we encountered at Soma were attentive and kind.

We stayed in one of the bungalows and it exceeded our expectations. The are large rooms with great simplicity. And the showers are HUGE!

I apologize for the amount of superlatives in this review, but Soma truly deserves it. Bill and Casey have built a beautiful resort in a gorgeous country. The entire time we were there we were daydreaming about our next visit. Go there now!

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow and loved it but all of the rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Soma is great place to go to calm your nerves! Everything about the resort says relax. The hotel is so clean and it sits on a little hill with amazing views. The highest point is a wooden roofed porch with hammocks for the ultimate stress-free nap. Definitely very zen.

The room was nice and clean, but the best part was the rainfall shower.

The food at the restaurant is super fresh and delicious. I recommend anything on the menu.

Bill, Casey and the staff are very accommodating and wonderful. they helped us make the most of our vacation. The driver, Eddie, picked us up from the airport and dropped us off. He was very pleasant and told us all about Nicaragua on the two hour plus ride from the airport.

The resort is very close to many great surf spots for both beginners and experts. We also walked to another beach, that we had basically to ourselves.

I highly recommend this resort. There you feel comfortably at home, and wonderfully relaxed like you should feel on vacation.

Room Tip: The garden room has plenty of space!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Soma Surf Resort is the perfect place to get away. The resort is beautiful and relaxing. Casey and Bill will help with anything you need. The beaches they take you to surf are beautiful and deserted. The food at the resort is made right in their kitchen with fresh fish caught and brought in everyday. The staff is very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: The garden rooms are very zen. Clean and open with a beautiful view.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

When you choose a place as well reviewed as Soma you arrive with pretty high expectations. Soma, owned and run daily by Bill and Casey, exceeded those expectations in every way during our stay.

Visiting with my husband and two children (ages 11 and 9), we stayed through Thanksgiving. Upon arrival, we were amazed how little the pictures, as gorgeous as they are, do justice to the resort and surrounding views.

For the resort itself, the rooms were ideal. We stayed in one of the bungalows which was perfectly appointed. Our initial worry was that we would find ourselves too confined to the resort as Nicaragua offered less tourist infrastructure than we found on our last trip to Costa Rica. Had that been the case, we would have been fine. The views were gorgeous. The hammocks offered perfect breezy naps. The staff (Eddy, Max, Rafa) was unfailingly polite, fun and helpful. The kids, in particular, enjoyed trading their fractured Spanish with the staff's much better English.

Soma, of course, has a restaurant, but that really doesn't describe it. It is more like having access to a private chef throughout your waking hours. The food and drink never disappointed - not once.

However, we weren't confined to the resort. We went to Nicaragua to enjoy the country and the opportunities it offered. Surfing - my son loves it, and Bill made sure every trip we made was well planned, telling us (actually taking us) to the best breaks depending upon time of day and tides. When my son wanted to surf Popoyo, a single break that can get a little crowded, Bill went in the water to block so our 11 year old could get his rides. We didn't ask him to or expect him to. He just did. Horseback riding - Casey set it up almost before we even asked. Sore after hiking the Volcano - Casey arranged great massages with Bary, whose three little girls were great playmates for our daughter. In fact, anything we were interested in, Bill and Casey were ready with helpful suggestions, recommendations and tips.

By departure, my husband and I actually wondered aloud whether Bill and Casey do too much and are too accommodating, not that we minded. We just want to be able to return asap and hope they don't get burned out!

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Do not miss the opportunity to see Nicaragua beacause you don't know where to stay. This is the place. It is really off the beaten path. Awesome for surfing for my 15 year old son but my 14 year old daughter had equally good time. The resort arranged for fishing, horseback riding, local excursions including zip lining, cigar factory, coffee plantation. Casey and Bill, the owners, provided personalized service that can't be equalled. I am particular for my accommodations, and travelled extensively in central America. This was my favorite trip. Both of my kids want to go back with their friends. That is the strongest endorsement for a couple of California teens.

Room Tip: The bungalows were a little more spacious and worth the nominal additional expense. Go to Yolanda...
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

You know when you are trolling the net looking at photos of Hotels,resorts etc? All look pretty good eh? Then when you arrive, S@#t ,not how it looked online..?? Well what if you booked somewhere and it was 10 times better than it looked on the bloody Internet? Enter Soma Surf Resort. I spent 8 nights in November and believe me when I say ,don't hesitate, just stay here!I felt guilty for the care I got compared to what it cost .........From fast Eddies pick up at the airport, Mad Max's spanish lessons, the food, the surf hell i'm goin back now

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Missoula, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I came to Nicaragua to celebrate my 50th birthday and enjoy empty waves with my 11 year old son. We had an amazing experience. Bill and Casey took care of everything. All we had to do was show up at the airport. They have created a place like no other -- and I have traveled throughout Central America. The rooms were spotless, the food fresh and delicious, the staff kind and helpful. I look forward to returning soon. Thanks Bill for being so great in the water with my son, and Casey for making everything effortless.

Room Tip: All rooms are pristine. I would have no problem with any of them. Some bungalows are more removed f...
1 Thank Gordon G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Aqua Wellness Resort
La Jolla Hotel
La Jolla Hotel
#1 of 1 in Popoyo
Buena Onda Beach Resort

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!