“No hassle pure relaxation!”
Review of Soma Surf Resort

Soma Surf Resort
London, United Kingdom
“No hassle pure relaxation!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We have just returned from Soma following a 2 week stay in March and had an excellent time. In terms of a trip from the UK its fairly pricey with flights etc but you do get value for money.

The accomadation is first rate, rooms are very clean and tidy with air con for those hot days. Soma itself is a fairly small set up and as a result never feels crowded. The layout and set up of the rooms is great and offers enough space for peace and quiet but also lends its self well to meeting other guests. The restauraunt is the hub and during our stay everyone ended up having meals together which really added to the experience.

The staff take it to a higher level. Owners Bill and Casey are very relaxed and incredibly helpful - they are very hands on and will go out of their way to make your stay one to remember. Bob, Luke, Eddy and Rapha add to this and together with the other members of staff form a friendly and light hearted team.

The food is great and provides a mix of local and US dishes - all very healthy though! If you want to get out and about there are other options in the area.

The surf was great during our stay - head high to overhead and offshore every day and there are plenty of options either to take it easy or push yourself. My wife is a beginner and there were plenty of options for her also. Bill & Luke both provided great advice for how the different spots worked as well as tips on technique etc. The US airlines dont appear to be helpful in terms of taking boards $$$ - dont worry Bill has a good selection of rentals so I would reccomend dropping him a line to see of he has something that might be similar to what you ride at home.

If surfing isnt your priority there are plenty of day trips to do, yoga, massages or simply relaxing in one of the hammocks!

I could go on and on but in essence I would highly recommend going the extra mile and staying at Soma!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 1 March 2013

There are not nearly enough superlatives to describe our experience at Soma. From start to finish the attention to detail, quality, comfort, friendliness and general great vibes washed over us. Booking was a snap. Not all places in Nicaragua take credit cards, Soma does... easy! Our driver Eddy was there waiting for us with a huge enthusiastic smile on his face. We stopped on the drive to look at monkeys and take in many sights. On arrival Casey welcomed us, showed us to our bungalow and generally began the non stop process of making us feel comfy and at home.

The facility is classy, understated and GORGEOUS! the beds are superb, the linens soft and everything is top notch. The staff is friendly, accommodating, prompt and totally professional. At the same time they made us feel like we were old friends. Without exception Casey and Bill have chosen wonderful people to create an oasis at Soma. The food is innovative, plentiful and delicious. The people from outside of Soma that come in to do massage and yoga classes are awesome. First class all the way.

Bill returned from the US mere weeks after knee surgery. Do you think that stopped him from being and ever patient surf teacher and all around generous and welcoming host.... NO WAY!
There are many places that you could stay in the Popoyo area. None of them have Bob, Luke, Jose, Rafa or any of the other incredible people that Soma does. If you have a taste for flair or a flair for taste there is no substitute.

Thank you for a wonderful vacation Soma!

Room Tip: The bungalows are gorgeous and quite large. For those on a more limited budget the standard rooms ar...
Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My mom and I booked Soma Surf Resort for a mother/daughter getaway because I wanted to learn to surf. We knew they offered yoga and surf lessons in a serene, untouched setting. That's all we knew. We didn't read any reviews. We did little research. It was more than we ever imagined. The resort and rooms are more expansive than the pictures. The food is delicious - the tropical pancakes, papaya, eggs, burger, and the mojito is not to be missed! The staff are accommodating and kind. The dogs - Rudy and Donnelly - are the best! I recommend having an en suite massage. My mom and I talked about the massage for weeks.

Casey and Bill will plan your days as busy or as relaxing as you want. They offer suggestions and are very laid back - reminding you that you can have an adventurous packed vacation that feels very easy and relaxing. Their attention is unparalleled. Sometimes my mom and I wished Casey didn't have to help other guests so we could hang out with her all day!

And Bill. I have a special shout out for Bill - the world's best surf instructor. Some of my favorite times on vacation were hanging out with him in the water. He is patient and encouraging. He teaches you how to read the water and cues you as you stand up. He gets excited when you succeed and reads your exhaustion level like a pro. I am a surfer for life because of Bill!

We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank emmadinz
philadelphia
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We enjoyed our time at Soma. Excellent time lounging around the beautiful pool, fantastic and friendly staff. The site is truly gorgeous and intimate. Next time we visit we may rent a vehicle so we can more easily head down to beaches and local restaurants.
Even though our kids are generally scared of dogs, they keep talking still talk about how much they loved Sammy the puppy.

Room Tip: our bungalow was stunning
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I read all the great reviews of Soma in planning our family surf vacation, and was surprised to find not a bad word anywhere in 50+ reviews. Not possible! But Soma proved even better, way better than the photos and reviews. The surfing was great for my husband and son; three breaks near the resort, a great selection of short boards and fun boards to rent, fast uncrowned waves, and guides for surfers of all levels. Don’t want to surf? Boogey boarding, yoga, beach walks, trips to colonial cities and volcanoes all easily available. Highlights of Christmas day were a beach walk to view sea turtles hatching and an evening lobster feast for everyone at the resort. Delightful surprises we never expected.

Casey and Bill were the ideal hosts and they paid careful attention to every guest’s wishes. The Soma staff was excellent – everyone from Eddy who takes most of the driving duties for airport pickups and excursions to cities, to the kitchen staff we never saw but whose handiwork was so tasty. Really, go for it – Soma exceeds expectations all around.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Soma Surf Resort is a small, beautiful, and delightful place to be. You can start with Bill and Casey, the owners, who are wonderful. Then there's Eddy, one of the staff; and all of the kitchen staff and Jose the gardener, and on and on. As beautiful as everything looks on the website, it's more beautiful when you are there. The beaches you go to (short trip) are amazing. The bungalows are everything you would want and need and the food is fresh and delicious. Every aspect of the layout of the resort is well though out - the hammocks, the pool. You can take a trip to the cigar factory and chocolate museum in Granada, or go the refuge and help the sea turtles make it safely to the ocean. Try a yoga class and definitely get a massage. On your trip down bring some books for the local school library, or some school supplies. We would go back over and over again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I will never forget my experience at Soma Resort. I arrived late at night and had a wounderful first night of sleep. Waking to the sunrise I opened by doors to my new bungalow with a beautiful bathroom and could not believe where I landed. It was a new world of moutnain breezes and crisp ocean air. I surfed everyday, had a wounderful yoga instructor that stretched me and met really interesting people from Wasahington D.C to Los Angeles to New York. The food was amazing, with the freshest fish and the best yuca fries. The staff was five star, very friendly and was trained as it was a five star hotel. I felt like I hit the lottery as I actually extended my stay for almost another week. The mangement was better than five star and made you like you were family. It is such a short trip from South FLorida that i will be making the return often. If sounds like a advertisement it is in some ways as I feel I should let people know that Soma Surf Resort is a wounderful place close to my heart.

Room Tip: The bunglows are the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Aqua Wellness Resort
Buena Onda Beach Resort
Nicawaves
Nicawaves
#4 of 12 in Popoyo

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!