“Stress gone! Best place I've ever been!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Soma Surf Resort

Soma Surf Resort
Woodinville, Washington
“Stress gone! Best place I've ever been!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

KC and Bill were incredible hosts as were others (Eddie, Barry, Gabriela, Ever....). Nicest people in the world, and it really felt like I was hanging with my family. They did everything they could to make my first trip anywhere by myself the best it could be, and I really appreciated everything (I can't wait to go back next year :)). Not only did I learn to surf (thank you Bill and Kikei) but I enjoyed beach front yoga and my trip to Grenada and Monbachu as well as just hanging out on the beautiful beaches. Another thing I have to mention is the incredible food at soma. Talk about fresh it was the freshest and so delicious, and I still crave the rice, beans, and eggs breakfast :)

Thank you!
Corrina

Room Tip: Learn to surf! It was the best!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Corrina B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

You may be thinking if the 80 five star reviews that Soma has received are actually truthful. I can absolutely assure you that this place is deserving of every single outstanding review it has received. Soma is the absolute pinnacle of premier lodging, service, and food.

I cannot say enough about the paradise that Casey and Bill Morton have built and fostered over the past few years. They have built a stunning property in a remote and peaceful part of Nicaragua. The ground are absolutely pristine. Various people on staff maintain the flowers and other vegetation on a regular basis, making sure that everything is clean and well-kept. The pool area is fantastic for relaxing and the rooms are fairly simple, but comfortable. The food was absolutely outstanding! Everything was extremely fresh, tasty, and extremely affordable (e.g., average dinner entrees are 8-11 USD). Portions were actually quite large so my wife and I ended up sharing many entrees. The entire staff was very friendly and attentive which made the experience all the better.

Once you arrive, Casey will likely talk to you about things to do during your stay. She can be more suggestive if you're looking for guidance or can opine on some of the research you've done independently. We ended up surfing for two days, doing a walk to Mag Rock at sunset, a hike and zip lining tour of Mombacho volcano, tour of Granada, and massages. All were worthwhile experiences though Mag Rock and surfing were definitely the highlights. This was our first time surfing and both my wife and I were up on the board within one hour. Bill is a fantastic instructor and gives you great tips.

We were a bit unsure of the location as it's not within walking distance of the beach, but as other reviewers have noted, this was actually something we ended up enjoying. The breezes you get at Soma by being a bit set back from the beach are spectacular, especially given how hot it can get. Bugs weren't an issue at all. Also any time you want to go surfing or just hang out on the beach, any one at Soma is happy to give you a quick ride.

Lastly, make sure to reach out to Casey before you arrive to ask what you can bring to donate. The villages in the area are always looking for school supplies, computers, or other items and it was a fantastic experience for us to go visit the recently built computer lab and rec center and to be able to donate a few items.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place was wonderful...Bill and Casey were the consummate hosts...did whatever they could to make the stay enjoyable...Staff fantastic..Eddie was wonderful..food great.2 regular rooms and 3 bungalows..for those that have travelled to Asia you will see how Casey has incorporated Indonesia into the architecture and design...long drive but they make it easy and all part of the experience..splurge for the bungalows...Thanking them so much for being so accommodating...for those wanted to contribute to the locals....take ziplock bags full of school supplies for the local school..pack clothes to wear and donate..take beach towels to use and donate etc etc...VERY much appreciated...Thank you Bill and Casey!!!!

Room Tip: Book a bungalow....Trust Bill and Casey as far as the excursions...they cover it all and are reasona...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank juno7
Cypress, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Incredible place. Surfing - amazing. Food - amazing. Location - a little hard to get to, but amazing. Accomodatins - fantastic. Staff - incredible. Hopefully that gives you a feel for just how great our trip was.

Room Tip: The bungalows are great. Very roomy and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Booked this fantastic oasis on JetSetter based on our interest in finding a place to relax without all the tourists and our love for Central America. Rate was fantastic for all the amenities you get, flights to MGA were cheaper than flights to Mexico or Costa Rica during high season..

The first impression you get when you land in Managua is that of Eddie the driver/tour guide/concierge smiling and excited to see you. The drive from Managua to SOMA is long, but worth the drive. A fair portion of the drive to SOMA is on dirt roads.. not like the dirt roads most of us are used to.. it's fun and a bit adventurous at night. Eddie is a pro at navigating the roads.

Upon arriving at SOMA (late) Bill and Casey waited for us to arrive and greeted us, offered us water and gave us a quick rundown of the resort, the grounds, food.. and then they sent us off to bed. The cabana was HUGE! It had a nice walk in shower, ample storage, high ceilings, and AC (which you need in Central America) and very comfortable beds.

Our stay at SOMA was 4 days of pure bliss.. new experiences.. and made memories of a lifetime. Bill was able to get us both on surfboards with his expertise and patience and by the 4th or 5th try, we were both standing up. The beaches near SOMA are isolated and you will very rarely see other tourists.. but lots of surfers from all over the world who come here to surf the incredible breaks that Nicaragua has to offer. Aside form surfing (which we did multiple times) we were able to horseback ride which was beautiful, lounge by the great pool that SOMA has on site, see the tide pools, and take a nice walk along the beach to see the sunset at Magnificent Rock (Mag rock).. you must go see Mag Rock and watch the sunset. Up on the top of the cliffs, there is a Youth Hostel that has a bar/restaurant in it.. this is about your only other option for eating outside of SOMA. Take a day trip to Grenada.. Eddie drove us to the volcano where we were able to drive to the top and hike the peak and take in some great views of Grenada and the lake. Coming down from the Volcano was more fun as you can opt to take a zip line through the coffee fields. Make sure you stop at the coffee shop and BUY AS MUCH COFFEE AS YOU CAN.. hands down, the best coffee in the world.

The food at SOMA was great. Cooked fresh and everything is local and fresh. Drinks were refreshing and all was priced incredibly well for what you get.

This was, by far the most relaxing vacation that we have had and cant wait to return to SOMA and Nicaragua.

TIPS:

Bring sunscreen.. SOMA may have some but bring your own and a lot of it. Leave residuals at the resort for other people who forget (like us) and assume there is a place to buy it near the hotel

Don't rent a car! Pay to have Eddie pick you up and drive you back to the airport.

Bring supplies for the local school children. We did not remember to do this and its something that will cost you little, but give you great joy to do.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a cabana.. very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tlabossiere
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

It's hard to put into words what a wonderful, memorable, comfortable, relaxing vacation we had at Soma. As such, I've been putting off writing this review as I know I won't be able to do the resort the justice it deserves. All of it is a result of Casey and Bill, the owners, and their incredible staff. I knew we had stumbled upon something special when my friend and I arrived at Soma around midnight on a Tuesday night and were greeted by Bill and Casey who graciously waited up for us. I should mention, they rise and shine every morning at 5:30, and in a place that's this tranquil and sleepy (in a great way) bed time usually comes before 10, so I didn't know what a feat this was for them until a day or two into my stay, but they immediately made us feel at home.

We arose early the next morning to be stunned by beautiful views as the resort sits high atop a hill. We looked over lush valleys and even got a peek at the ocean in the distance.

This trip was always about learning to surf and relaxation for myself and two friends. We're all 30-year-old women from the States. When we started researching for our "surf" vacation, we had recommendations from a handful of folks, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Hawaii, etc... but it was the Trip Advisor reviews, the great website, and a few email exchanges with Casey that sealed the deal for our group. The resort offered the amenities we wanted to help the trip feel special, and the price couldn't be beat. Honestly, Casey and Bill have done such an amazing job in designing Soma. They also cater to all surfing levels, where some of the other local spots are for a more hardcore surfing crowd.

As it was the end of the season we were lucky enough to have the resort to ourselves. We had Bill as our personal surf guide and instructor, who was in the water with us each day, making suggestions and providing tips for us to improve. 4 days in, we graduated to hard tops. And although we weren't quite shredding, we are well on our way.

In booking, we weren't sure we wanted to do an all-inclusive package, thinking we'd want to take advantage of some of the other local spots for food and drink. Upon arrival, and after talking to Bill and Casey, we learned there wasn't much within walking distance, definitely something to know going in, and they typically don't venture out for food. Don't fear, the eats at Soma are to-die for. Casey has worked to develop a fantastic menu that takes advantage of all the fresh, local fruits and vegetables with a healthy, American palate in mind.

Upon our arrival Casey and Bill worked with us to build a custom trip that took advantage of just about everything they offer. Surfing, horseback riding, massage, yoga, deep-sea fishing, and kick boxing. Casey was even able to coordinate a volunteer day with Aprender Funcion, where we spent the day in art and English classes with local children. To pick a highlight of the trip would be impossible, so I'm not even going to try. Quiet pool days are just as welcome as a fully packed surf adventure, but if you're there for a bit it would be good to mix it up, trust me, you'll miss out if you don't!

As I'm still in the infancy of what I hope my travel future will hold, it's hard to even think about repeating a destination, but I can't help but want to go back to Soma and so I will, in search of better waves, probably in December or January when we hear the surf can't be beat. If not this coming year, definitely next!

Thanks Casey and Bill! Soma is a true gem tucked away among beautiful, lush countryside.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Alexis L
ponchatoula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Even tho I am a home owner at a nearby resort, Soma is my favorite destination! Great food, beautiful ambiance, and Kacey and Bill are most gracious hosts. And their staff is very accommodating. Can't wait until my return in early Dec.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Aqua Wellness Resort
La Jolla Hotel
La Jolla Hotel
#1 of 1 in Popoyo
Buena Onda Beach Resort

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!