“Perfect Popoyo!”
Review of Soma Surf Resort

Soma Surf Resort
“Perfect Popoyo!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Arriving at Soma Surf Resort we immediately knew that we had made the right decision, the place is spectacular. It’s a little piece of paradise on the hillside. Casey & Bill couldn’t have done more to welcome us and make us feel at home.

The resort itself is everything you could want for, beautifully designed and immaculately kept. We stayed in one of the bungalows, which surpassed all our expectations - the photos really don’t do this place justice.

Bill & Casey couldn’t have been more accommodating and attentive hosts. As beginner surfers Bill was a superb instructor in Popoyos big waves, (they also taught us a thing or two about boxing!).

All the resort staff were incredibly friendly and willing to help you out in any way they could. A BIG thank you to Eddie and the superb kitchen staff. The food was without doubt some of the best we ate during our three weeks in Nicaragua, (not to mention the Mojitos and Micheledas!)
The atmosphere at Soma was amazing and we left with some great friends. A huge thank you to Bill, Casey and all the Soma staff for making our first time in Nicaragua, (not our last!!!!) so perfect and memorable!

Look forward to seeing you in the future!
&
We couldn’t recommend this place more!

Johnny & Lainy (UK)

1 Thank Johnny H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I just recently spent one week at the Soma Surf Resort and absolutely loved loved loved it!!! From the pick up at the airport in Managua by Eddie who speaks fluent English and was able to answer all our questions and make us feel so comfortable after our flight from NYC ~ to meeting Casey upon our arrival making us feel immiately at home in the most beautiful clean and spacious bungalow and showing us around the most magnificant spotless clean and beautiful oasis i could have ever imagined after our 2 hour ride through Nicaragua from the airport!!! The food was absolutely delicious with lots of variety to choose from on the menu!! I had surf lessons from Bill who was such an amazing and patient teacher ~ I cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Beautifully finished rooms,
Clean, very high standard for Nicaragua, the staff work very hard at all times especially Eddie who goes out of his way to make you comfortable. Unfortunately the way which Casey treats the guests meant that our stay was not as smooth as we would have liked. She is pushy and has to be in control of everything at all times. She made me feeling like a paying guest in her own private house. Perhaps if Casey took a step back the atmosphere would have been much calmer. On a positive note the freshness of the food and the ingredients were great and all of the guest we met there were great.

• Stayed April 2014
SomaSurf, Owner at Soma Surf Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank-you for taking the time to give us your insightful comments and thoughts. We take all of our reviews seriously and strive to give our clients an enjoyable and fun experience.
Yes, Soma is located “miles from anywhere” and that is the appeal for our guests. We are in the middle of an indigenous community and right in the heart of some of the best waves Nicaragua has to offer. The remoteness of the location is the appeal and beauty as so many of our clients have commented; “Where can one see miles of deserted pristine beaches, great waves that are not packed with surfers, and wide open spaces virtually untouched?”
This is where one can disconnect, decompress and re-connect with the simplicity and natural beauty of Nicaragua.
Due to its remoteness and the fact that we hire only locals to work at Soma we understand how important it is to be pro-active. We work side by side with all of our employees so they understand the importance of good customer service and can learn how to perform the tasks necessary for a great stay. They are fast learners, love to please and are doing an amazing job! Thank you for your 5 star rating on great service, cleanliness, rooms, the freshness and the flavor of our food, and the atmosphere that prevails at Soma for you to meet and enjoy many of our other guests. The attention to the details in these categories that our staff has learned and executes is what we are all striving for and it looks like it was delivered
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I recently spent four nights at Soma and had a wonderful time. The owners Casey and Bill make you feel right at home, as does the rest of the Soma staff. Within the first 24 hours everyone knows your name and you're settled right in. The hotel itself is new, beautiful and very well maintained. We stayed in a bungalow, it was very nicely appointed, huge, and a great retreat for afternoon siesta. Our only comment related to the rooms is that it would have been nice to have a king bed (ours had two doubles).

There are lots if activities close by. We surfed everyday, did a little yoga and hung out at some of the local surf spots. The Soma team is happy to take you wherever nearby. There are a variety of surf beaks around Soma for any ability level. Soma had boards available for rent and great guides (including Bill) available to teach, should you like a lesson.

The food at Soma was awesome and service was even better. If you have special dietary needs (like wanting chocolate chips in your pancakes everyday!) the team is happy to accommodate. If you want a beer/pop/water at any time you can grab it yourself (which is nice) or someone's always around to ask. There is at least one employee for every guest (probably more).

The sunsets at Soma were awesome and there are lots of great hangout places around the property to enjoy them in peace, or with others.

Nicaragua is a great country and still a hidden gem of central America. Soma is a perfect place to experience the country.

1 Thank Andrew O
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed for 5 nights, 3 full days of surfing. I was in between jobs working on superyachts at the time, had been working nonstop for months, and really needed to go surfing.

I got the all inclusive everything package. And there was no one else there as I was right between surf seasons but the waves were still really fun. Therefore, I don't know what the camp is like when the going gets tough, but for me it was just perfect. Bill and Casey had me covered, from as much delicious food as I wanted to all the surfing I could handle, which was basically 2 long sessions a day, about 5-6 hrs average. They also organized a local filmer (Rick from Donde X Surf) to shoot all my sessions (this cost extra obv).

I surfed, ate, slept, and hung out with the dogs and cats for 3 full days. It was exactly what I needed. It was my first time to Nica and it left all the guess work and risk out of the picture. All I had to do was show up. With a bit of cash to splash it was the best strike mission surf trip I could ask for given the swell forecast and my time and financial constraints.

Would I go there again? Yes, but not for a hardcore surf trip. This was a luxury treatment gift to myself in which I still surfed nonstop but also didn't have to lift a finger. I normally have more time and less money. But I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are more financially free than a 25 year old sailor =) It's a sweet spot and Bill and Casey were cool and took very good care of me.

Attached are a few photos from my trip. Cheers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Taylor S
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I decided to go to Nicaragua for my spring break from school. I have been surfing for only a couple of years, so my skill level is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. All of my more experienced surfer friends talked about going to places in Central America to surf, but honesty I haven’t had the time to travel with them because of school. I decided that I wanted to try the whole surf travel experience out and I found out about Soma through the website. I was very excited about this trip, but at the same time I was somewhat skeptical, as I have had some less-than-favorable experiences with other resorts in the past- not to mention, that I was a female traveling alone to a foreign country all by my lonesome. When I landed at Managua airport, it was a nightmare going through customs because I had brought my 9'0 longboard. Frankly, I was treated like crap by the staff of that airport and so I was thinking that my entire trip was going to be the same way. However, once I walked out of the doors of that airport, one of the drivers from the resort was standing there waiting for me. The driver's name was Julian; he did not speak English very well, but he was very nice, and during my ride to the resort, I got to practice my Spanish with him. The ride to the resort was about 2.5 hours long. For the first 1.5 hours, we were on paved roads and though the scenery was nice, it did not seem very exciting. Out of nowhere though, Julian took a right turn and suddenly we were driving on bumpy dirt roads, there were locals riding around in oxcarts, cattle walking along the roads (and the cattle being around did not cause that lingering stench that cows often leave behind here in the US, which was good), and the ride became much more scenic and exciting. But I couldn't help but wonder if somehow the resort was actually a straw hut and totally deceptive from what was advertised. When we got to the resort, Eddy (who was sort of managing the operations of the resort while Casey was out of town) greeted me warmly and escorted me to my bungalow. It felt like I just stepped into paradise! Shortly after getting settled in, I decided to eat lunch and the food was absolutely fantastic! After lunch, Bill offered to take me out to a sunset surf, but when we got to the beach, there weren't any good looking waves so we drove back to the resort. I have to admit that I had thought the resort was right in front of the beach, and it was not. In fact, you can barely see the beach from the resort due to the fact that the resort is tucked away amongst the vast hills in that area. BUT, this was not a problem because the beach was only about a 10 minute drive away and the view around the resort was still very beautiful. The next day Bill took me and a couple of beginners out to surf at the fishing village and we all had a good time. Around later afternoon, we went to Mag Rock to try surfing some bigger stuff, and though the waves weren't really breaking well over there, the view was quite breathtaking. When I got back, I got myself cleaned up and just spent the rest of my evening hanging out on a hammock. When I talked to Eddy, I expressed to him that I wanted to explore other ventures that the resort had to offer, so we planned for a visit to the hot spring the next day and a visit to the Mombacho Volcano the day after, while trying to get some surf time in. He was very good about helping me plan out my events for the day and setting everything up. So the next day I surfed and in the evening, Eddy took me to the hot spring, which was very well worth the trip. The hot spring was only 5 minutes away and the cost was $3.00 USD. My muscles were sore from all the surfing and the water was just right. It was very warm, but not unbearably hot like some other hot springs can be. The locals were very friendly and in the same area, some of them use separate pools to do their laundry, so it was neat to watch them in action. The day after that was my last full day in Nicaragua, Eddy took me to the Mombacho Volcano and set me up with a tour guide who spoke excellent English. I did the zip line through the canopies and enjoyed a hike around the craters of the volcano. I would highly recommend checking this out because I had such a fun time there. The zip line was a little intimidating at first, but it turned out being really fun. There is also a coffee farm there and the coffee was pretty amazing so I had to bring some home. I also learned a lot about the types of plants and animals in that area and even got to see a baby sloth wake up. The view at the top of the volcano is spectacular and you can see Lake Nicaragua, Ometepe Island, and Granada from there. I mean, really... how cool is that? When I came back from the volcano excursion, I had a little lunch, rested, and enjoyed my last surf session at Popoyo Beach. The next morning, I ate an amazing breakfast and checked out of the resort with no major problems. I said my goodbyes to the staff and Eddy drove me back to the airport. While I had a really cruddy time making it back home to CA (that's another story), the staff of Soma Resort really took care of me. All of the staff there were very courteous, especially Eddy and Carlos, but even Elsa (the cook) and Jose (the groundskeeper) were very nice too. I got to meet Casey on my last couple of days at the resort as she had just returned from being out of town, and she was also a great hostess. Bill was a great surf guide, he's a very mellow dude, and he helped me out some for me being still somewhat of a beginner. While I was there, everyone at that resort treated me like I was family. That visit will not be my last stay at Soma and next time, I will probably bring my family (I left my kids and husband at home for a REAL break, lol). Soma, I can't thank you all enough for making my spring break feel like an actual break and for making it such an amazing first experience in Nicaragua!

Just a few words of advice:
1) There are three dogs and a couple of cats that live on that resort, but they are all very sweet. If you are allergic to dogs or cats, you might want to know, but they do not seem to shed and like I said, they are all very sweet animals. Someone mentioned that the dogs bark at night, but I did not notice that during my stay there.
2) Bring toiletries as the only soap they provide in the room is hand soap. That being said, also bring tons of sunscreen.
3) I wouldn't bother exchanging your USD (if you are from the US) for the local currency (cordobas) because all places take (and usually expect) USD anyway. If you are from another country that does not use US dollars, I would suggest exchanging your currency for USD.
4) Make sure to call your bank to inform them that you will be traveling outside of the country and you will be using your bank card because I had a slight problem trying to close my bill when I was checking out, but it all worked out and it wasn’t a big deal, but things will run much smoother if you just let your bank know ahead of time.
5) If you do not know the area around the resort like the back of your own hand, you may get lost. I read on the website that you can rent a vehicle and drive down to the resort if you’d like, but I would not recommend it if you do not know where you are going. The drivers at the resort are always happy to take you wherever you need to go.
6) An add-on to #5: the beach is not really within walking distance but the drivers can definitely take you there and there are numerous beach breaks that can cater to any skill level.
7) The fee for the Mombacho Volcano experience was about $58 USD, it included the zip line through the canopies and a 1.5 hour hike around the craters of the volcano with your own personal guide- well worth it, I thought.
8) As for food, everything on that menu is pretty amazing. I loved the fish dishes, the eggs ranchero for breakfast, the chicken fajitas for dinner, and the chocolate cracker for dessert (I know that the title sounds kind of dull, but it is actually pretty yummy and just talking about it makes me want a plateful right now). I also have to say, I had the best mojito I’ve ever had in my entire life at that resort.
9) Lastly, in case anyone wants to know, I got the all-inclusive package with the five night stay and it was definitely well worth it!

Again, thank you so much Soma for an amazing stay! Hope to see you all again soon! :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank zlintones
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I'd like to start this off by saying: We are not picky people, and this is the first time I've written anything other then a quite positive review.

We were INCREDIBLY excited to go to Soma after reading these reviews. My boyfriend and I take 1 big trip a year and spend a ton of time researching and vetting locations. Soma had everything we thought we were looking for based on reviews - off the beaten path, great service, very small, good surf nearby. Unfortunately, we spent a good portion of our time at Soma pretty upset. I am honestly BAFFLED at the reviews after visiting, and feel a little duped.

GOOD:

1 - Very isolated location, which we liked. The 2.5 hr drive was really fascinating, and Eddy was a great tour guide. Beaches were empty, which was amazing.

2 - The staff employed by Soma were incredibly gracious and kind. Eddy and Carlos really go out of there way to make you feel at home and taken care of.

3 - Mag Rock and the attached hostel were highlight of our trip, by far.

4 - There are pets everywhere (maybe some people do not like this, but we did). The dogs were so sweet and playful, and we enjoyed just watching them run around.

5 - The setting is beautiful. The pool is well kept and the area around the hotel is so unique and special. The hotel is well decorated (though I will say the build of the villas seemed very cheaply made).

BAD

1 - Moments after we arrived, I went to put our passports in the safe and found it was closed & locked. I found Casey and let her know. She told me curtly that I must've locked it myself...? and then sighed and went to unlock it for me. It did not work. She left me a key to use, which I tried to turn and prompty snapped in half. When I went to find her again, the response was even more curt and accusatory. It was awkward - I felt treated like a misbehaving child. Pretty bad start to a vacation.

2 - If you are an experienced (even intermediate?) surfer, this isn't the place. This is a place for people who want to learn how to surf. My boyfriend, a California native, was so excited to come here based on their website tout "build your own surf trip." Let me tell you how that looked - my boyfriend asked Bill where we should go surf for high level waves, he tells us he has the perfect place. Coincidentally, this high level spot is right next to the beginner level spot that the majority of other visitors want to go to is located, so Bill can all drive us at once. Not exactly customized. Result? My boyfriend and the 1 other experienced surfer SIT ON THE BEACH while newbies take a lesson with Bill. This happened multiple times during our stay. Since we are in the middle of nowhere without a car, we had no other choice. It was very disappointing. We also awkwardly sat in the back of the truck for about 5 minutes while Bill fired the local surf guide who had suggested additional spots for my boyfriend to find legitimate waves? I wish I was making this up.

Same goes for the "fishing trip" we paid close to $200 for...not only were no fish caught, but no fish were seen.

3 - One night, the power went out around midnight. That means no fans and no A/C, and no breeze. The owners could've tried to start the generator, but we only heard it being re-started at 6 AM. It was at least 90 degrees. We were completely soaked through our sheets and did not sleep a wink. I get it, they can't control power going out. But the next day (mid-afternoon) when Casey wanders by and asks what's up, I say "I'm good...didn't sleep much since we had no A/C all night." Her response "Oh, yeah that happens" and walks away. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

4 - Nickled and Dimed - Everything has a fee. Want to go to the beach and just sit? Well you can't walk there, you don't have a car or a taxi option, your only choice is a ride from the hotel - for $25. The prices posted on the site when we booked also had mysteriously jumped up to when we arrived. Want to get something else to eat? There is literally NO other option....anywhere. The food is good, but after 7 days? Enough is enough of the same items.

There are no special touches here - I guess that was the hardest thing for us. You do not feel like the owners actually love this place. Not surprising, because after we got home, I looked online and saw this place is for sale!

For going so far away for such a price, I'd spend my time somewhere that I'm treated with more respect and honesty.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank BSNY86
SomaSurf, Owner at Soma Surf Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful and heartfelt comments. We take all of our clients comments seriously and are always thriving to improve the Soma experience.

We are as baffled about your comments as you are baffled about our consistent high ratings over the past three years and we appreciate you taking the time to give us your comments.

We were surprised to read your comments about the safety deposit box and feel badly you felt so strongly about it. My recollection of the situation is quite different. However, you are correct. You broke the key off in the lock, we gave you our Master Key and we had to replace the broken key with one from the states, as these blanks are not made in Nicaragua.

Since your boyfriend is an intermediate/advanced surfer, he would know that in Nicaragua Jan-Feb.have the smallest waves of the year. All the dedicated surf camps are closed as the Big Southern swells have not started hitting here yet. At that time of the year there are mostly beginners who visit Nicaragua.
We always have 2 surf guides with our groups. One for the beginners and one for the intermediate/advanced. The beach you were at indeed has a protected area for beginners but also has an advanced reef break called, Lance's Left a premier break during surf season. If he chose to sit on the beach, Lances's might not have been breaking if it was to small. Unfortunately, we can not control swell size or frequency. And yes, everyone squeezes into the trucks and even into the back of the truck with the boards and the dogs. That is part of the fun...that is what surfers do. The journey there is have the fun, the adventure of driving on the beach, being w/new people, going to a new place.

We are truly sorry that you did not catch any fish on your half day of fishing and wish we could always guarantee that our clients will catch fish but that is out of our control. Obviously there was fish as we had fresh fish every night for dinner as we get the fish from the same fishing village where you rented your panga.

Yes, you are correct the power did go out for about 4 hours during the night while you were here. This is a third world country and the power does go out quite often. This is something we can not control. This is not a problem that happens only at Soma but through-out the country and actually is common in developing countries. The back-up generator did come on early in the morning as you mentioned. The other guests opened their windows to let in the cool night air.There are always breezes this time of year as It is the dry windy season with strong off shore winds that blow all day and night.

All of our pricing is posted on our website and in our rooms. Our daily surf package pricing has not changed since we opened. You were never charged $25 for transport to go to the beach. Your boyfriend brought his own board. He was charged $25 a day for transport to the surf breaks and for guiding. It is an interesting phenomenon that you feel you should get services for free.

We are also sorry that there were not any additional restaurants close by for your convenience. This is something again that we have no control over but something that will change quickly as this area is growing. Right now this is an indigenous community and one of the poorest in all of Nicaragua with no stores, banks, ATM's, gas stations, or nice restaurants.

We are truly sorry that you didn't find or enjoy any of the small personal touches at Soma. The beautiful gardens, the hand crafted stonework, all the furniture that was made by hand,the collection of seashells from around the world, the books on Nicaragua, the culture, the people, waves, surfing etc., Everything in Soma was hand picked by myself and Bill and made by the local people in this community from the oven dried bricks pulled here by oxen for the structures to the beautiful floor to ceiling windows in the restaurant made in a wood shop that was temporarily constructed in our parking lot before we opened.

Again we are truly sorry that during you stay at Soma you didn't feel the respect in the simplicity of connecting with the people, the community and the land of Nicaragua.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Aqua Wellness Resort
Buena Onda Beach Resort
Nicawaves
Nicawaves
#4 of 12 in Popoyo

Been to Soma Surf Resort? Share your experiences!