“Relaxing beach hideout”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Popoyo
Popoyo Beach Hostel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Relaxing beach hideout”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Getting here on the dirt roads from the Pan American Highway was quite a bumpy adventure but once you're here you'll really appreciate how much it isolates you from the rest of the world. Popoyo beach is a big attraction to people who really want to get away, either to relax or surf it seems. This area isn't where you come for 5-star accommodations. You come here to experience a care-free, easy-going, almost roughing-it, in-the-middle-of-nowhere life experience. We stopped and looked at 4 other hostels along Popoyo beach and settled on Popoyo Beach Hostel because it seemed like it had the most to offer. The 2nd floor room w/ a private balcony wasn't available but 2 friends an I shared a 4-bed dorm room to ourselves for extremely cheap. I got my best rest on the comfy hammocks located on the back porch. This is also where you'll find that the Wi-Fi signal is available. Coolest part was we saw a wild sloth in the tree back here. Bathrooms have the essentials but don't expect too much and you'll be delighted.We enjoyed a decent breakfast here and a nice jog on the length of the beach. If you were with a larger group, I could imagine this place being an amazing party place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dave S

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I had a wonderful experience at PBH last week. My first impression walking into the hostel was to be greeted by the very friendly staff. They quickly checked me in and proceeded to tell me all the awesome things I could do during my 3 day stay there. The beach is breathtaking, very open, breezy and has some great waves for surfing right infront of the property - with the famous popoyo break just a 10 minute walk away. I rented my board there and they were able to help me secure an instructor for my lessons. At the hostel they also have a balancing board, foosball or table football and a Ping Ping table which make for some downtime fun. Hammocks all around, bamboo chairs right on the beach, made it extremely easy to relax and forget about life back in the city. The rooms are comfortable, and a great deal for the low price. You can expect to have a quality stay without breaking your wallet. The prices for everything are considerably low. The food was great, especialy the last breakfast I had there which was off the chain. I had one of the most delicious omelettes I've ever had. The staff would plan bonfires every other night which attracted people from all the lodgings nearby. This was great as it made it easy to meet the many other fellow travelers.

In short: I was expecting something relaxing, but still fun. I found that at PBH and much more.

Room Tip: The upstairs room has its own balcony with a hammock. Spending time reading on that hammock was one...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Askance
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This family beach house turned in to a hostel is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. Right on the beach; and the porch gives you the best sunsets. It's 5 min walk to either of the surf breaks (you can also surf the beach break right in front). Rooms and bathrooms are clean and the maintenance guy is friendly and always willing to help. I highly recommend bringing your mosquito net bed if you want to sleep at all. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ramirt
fbosche, Owner at Popoyo Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Ramiro! Thanks for the review, the hostel is looking nicer everyday, we have set up a bamboo lounge on the beach, made a chilled out beach bar and put moskitoe screens on all the windows ans industrial fans in all the ceilings so they wont get you ever again.
Waves are great now in the green season and with the sugar cane harvest, sunsets are orange and red.
Let us know when youll be back!
Take care,
Federico
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great clean, secure hostel that seriously is made to feel like your own by the manager and staff there! So chilled out, great beach bar, watch the sunset every night and drink a nice cold Tona!

Probably should mention their room rates are awesome as well!! And they have surfboards for hire.

Popoyo beach hostel was recommended to us by a friend who had stayed previously and said it was good. Turns out it has been taken over by new management and the place is AMAZING!!! Planned on staying 3 days and spent 10 days there. Don't stay anywhere else, simple.
The most relaxing, chilled out place with the best hostel food whipped up by the great man Miguel!

Its a win for all - get there!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon suite which is on the second floor, with a private balcony, you can get breakfast...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris M
Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Popoyo Beach Hostel is an absolute Gem of a place to stay. We planned to stay for 5 days and spent 2 weeks! Accommodation is really clean, really comfortable and they offer a variety of options for all budgets. The location is perfect, great food, great hospitality, great surf and the bar on the beach at sunset is superb! We were made to feel so welcome and I can't wait to visit again soon. Would recommend to anyone wanting to visit Popoyo and experience a phenomenal place to stay in Nicaragua.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannybrown89
Madrid, España
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We were touring Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama in January, staying at hostels, and I must say Popoyo Beach Hostel was definitely the best of the trip, and probably one of the nicest hostels I´ve ever been to.

The location is just stunning. Guasacate Beach had everything we expected: nice people around, white sand and great waves for surfing. Evenings in the beach bar or lounging next to the beach bonfire were great!

The hostel was very clean and comfortable: big rooms, very well equipped kitchen, really nice outdoor common areas (with ping pong and table soccer), bamboo benches in the beach, free wi-fi... Just perfect.

The staff was incredibly friendly! If you are reading this, thanks again Miguel and Berena for the amazing cooking, and thanks Federico for always take care of us and for those top cocktails at the beach bar!!

I really want to visit Nicaragua again and stay for a few more days in this fantastic place!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Hotel Brio
#2 of 5 in Tola
Wild Waves Surf House
Wild Waves Surf House
#2 of 5 in Popoyo

Been to Popoyo Beach Hostel? Share your experiences!