“Ok place to stay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Popoyo Beach Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Popoyo
Popoyo Beach Hostel
Dublin, Ireland
“Ok place to stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Location - for surfing popoyo the location is great. It's an easy walk to the break along the beach. No shoes just boardies and your board, which is nice. The waves on the beach in front of the hostel close out and is not suitable for surfing but fun for a swim.
It is a nice place to hang out and its easy to meet people, although some of the surfers kept to themselves but that is just surfers.
We had a private room, bed was old, really soft and really damp. Sheets were old and quite stained. Room was also quite dark.
Claiming they have a restaurant is pushing it. They have menu but the only choice for us was "fish or chicken". It's more a case that a member of staff will cook whatever is in the fridge when they get a chance. There are however a few decent places to eat nearby.
The staff were helpful and nice but only speak Spanish.
Overall, it has a nice vibe and it's an ok place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
fbosche, Owner at Popoyo Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Hi Diarmuid! Thanks for sharing your comments, I apologize for the old bed sheets, we had been fully booked with big groups and on such a short notice we used one of the old ones to accommodate you. After you left we cut down some of the leaves from the palm trees so there would be more light in that room. About the restaurant, true we usually have chicken and fresh fish, but also pasta and vegetarian meals and a great variety of breakfast options. About that bed mattress, will look into it and replace it if in bad conditions. We are a new management and are trying upgrade everything in the hostel, including new toys like fooseball table and comforts like the beach lounge and hammocks, we know we aren't perfect, but are aiming to get as close as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed the surf and the location and the vibe, we look forward to making all our guests stay a unique and enjoyable experience:)
Thanks again for the feedback, it is after all what helps us make a difference.
Take care!
Federico

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

This is place is one of a kind :) It is a beach house turned into a hostel so it gives it a great welcoming vibe. The staff is sooo friendly, helpful, and kind. It is very clean, and the rooms are gorgeous! Also you are walking distance to epic surf. I planned on staying for the weekend and I ended up staying two weeks. I would have stayed here longer if I didn't have a flight to catch. I will definitely be coming back, and I highly recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to chill and catch world class waves!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
fbosche, Owner at Popoyo Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Camille! Thanks for all your positive comments, im really glad you enjoyed our little piece of paradise as much as we do. Our doors are always open, next time you visit wee will make you welcoming bonfire with marshmallows:) p.s plankton has been shinnning in the water every night for the last two weeks and the waves are great!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Getting here on the dirt roads from the Pan American Highway was quite a bumpy adventure but once you're here you'll really appreciate how much it isolates you from the rest of the world. Popoyo beach is a big attraction to people who really want to get away, either to relax or surf it seems. This area isn't where you come for 5-star accommodations. You come here to experience a care-free, easy-going, almost roughing-it, in-the-middle-of-nowhere life experience. We stopped and looked at 4 other hostels along Popoyo beach and settled on Popoyo Beach Hostel because it seemed like it had the most to offer. The 2nd floor room w/ a private balcony wasn't available but 2 friends an I shared a 4-bed dorm room to ourselves for extremely cheap. I got my best rest on the comfy hammocks located on the back porch. This is also where you'll find that the Wi-Fi signal is available. Coolest part was we saw a wild sloth in the tree back here. Bathrooms have the essentials but don't expect too much and you'll be delighted.We enjoyed a decent breakfast here and a nice jog on the length of the beach. If you were with a larger group, I could imagine this place being an amazing party place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dave S
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I had a wonderful experience at PBH last week. My first impression walking into the hostel was to be greeted by the very friendly staff. They quickly checked me in and proceeded to tell me all the awesome things I could do during my 3 day stay there. The beach is breathtaking, very open, breezy and has some great waves for surfing right infront of the property - with the famous popoyo break just a 10 minute walk away. I rented my board there and they were able to help me secure an instructor for my lessons. At the hostel they also have a balancing board, foosball or table football and a Ping Ping table which make for some downtime fun. Hammocks all around, bamboo chairs right on the beach, made it extremely easy to relax and forget about life back in the city. The rooms are comfortable, and a great deal for the low price. You can expect to have a quality stay without breaking your wallet. The prices for everything are considerably low. The food was great, especialy the last breakfast I had there which was off the chain. I had one of the most delicious omelettes I've ever had. The staff would plan bonfires every other night which attracted people from all the lodgings nearby. This was great as it made it easy to meet the many other fellow travelers.

In short: I was expecting something relaxing, but still fun. I found that at PBH and much more.

Room Tip: The upstairs room has its own balcony with a hammock. Spending time reading on that hammock was one...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Askance
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

This family beach house turned in to a hostel is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. Right on the beach; and the porch gives you the best sunsets. It's 5 min walk to either of the surf breaks (you can also surf the beach break right in front). Rooms and bathrooms are clean and the maintenance guy is friendly and always willing to help. I highly recommend bringing your mosquito net bed if you want to sleep at all. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ramirt
fbosche, Owner at Popoyo Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Ramiro! Thanks for the review, the hostel is looking nicer everyday, we have set up a bamboo lounge on the beach, made a chilled out beach bar and put moskitoe screens on all the windows ans industrial fans in all the ceilings so they wont get you ever again.
Waves are great now in the green season and with the sugar cane harvest, sunsets are orange and red.
Let us know when youll be back!
Take care,
Federico
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great clean, secure hostel that seriously is made to feel like your own by the manager and staff there! So chilled out, great beach bar, watch the sunset every night and drink a nice cold Tona!

Probably should mention their room rates are awesome as well!! And they have surfboards for hire.

Popoyo beach hostel was recommended to us by a friend who had stayed previously and said it was good. Turns out it has been taken over by new management and the place is AMAZING!!! Planned on staying 3 days and spent 10 days there. Don't stay anywhere else, simple.
The most relaxing, chilled out place with the best hostel food whipped up by the great man Miguel!

Its a win for all - get there!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon suite which is on the second floor, with a private balcony, you can get breakfast...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris M
Newbridge, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Popoyo Beach Hostel is an absolute Gem of a place to stay. We planned to stay for 5 days and spent 2 weeks! Accommodation is really clean, really comfortable and they offer a variety of options for all budgets. The location is perfect, great food, great hospitality, great surf and the bar on the beach at sunset is superb! We were made to feel so welcome and I can't wait to visit again soon. Would recommend to anyone wanting to visit Popoyo and experience a phenomenal place to stay in Nicaragua.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannybrown89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
Hotel Punta Teonoste
Hotel Ola Verde
Hotel Ola Verde
#4 of 5 in Popoyo
Buena Onda Beach Resort

Been to Popoyo Beach Hostel? Share your experiences!