“Great unpretentious food and great service”
Review of The Anchor Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Anchor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hillfarrance B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I took three business visitors to the Anchor for a few pints and a meal. Everyone agreed that the food, drink, service and ambience were excellent. Proper pub food (not trying to be a restaurant!) and local ales, a simple recipe that works. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shadeclass

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Very nice pub with friendly staff which quickly filled up for luncheon; I'm glad we arrived early at 12:00. (This was a doubly good sign as you're unlikely to stumble across this pub by accident so most of the clientele must have been on a return visit).

The food was excellent, in particular the turkey, leek and gammon pie served with creamy mash and freshly cooked vegetables. Now I like pies, in fact I like them very much indeed. But, so many times, the pies served up in pubs are disappointing. They're either the mass produced rubbish you can buy from any supermarket, or a scalding hot dish of mostly gravy with a thin pastry crust added at the last stage of cooking. They don't serve pies like that at the Anchor Inn, oh no... they do things properly. A magnificent slice of a freshly baked pie, lovely crumbly short-crust pastry, beautifully tender pieces of turkey and gammon bound together with a firm (not runny) sauce. All of this was complemented with a separate jug of rich gravy, perfectly cooked fresh vegetables and an excellent mash. It was delicious home cooking just as I like it - great food, well cooked, nothing pretentious, and no wipes of 'jus' making pretty patterns on the plate but adding nothing to the meal itself.

(The daily specials board also includes a vegetarian pie which can be served with a vegetarian gravy if you are that way inclined)

My wife had the stir-fried noodles and vegetables with roast duck and hoi-sin sauce which also looked excellent. She particularly praised the amaretto and chocolate cheesecake which looked divine. A good cup of freshly brewed coffee each rounded off the meal nicely.

Total cost for two, with drinks, was £34 which I don't mind at all for such an enjoyable lunch.

Summary: great pub, very friendly, loved the food and will definitely be returning when next in Somerset. Can't wait to try the steak and kidney pie next time !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Roger285
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Anchor Inn for 3 nights. Its a very good base for exploring Somerset and Devon.We were made to feel very welcome and at home by all the staff. There is a very homely feel about the place and you are treated like an old friend. The room was very nice and comfortable and much larger than we had expected.They have a great menu ranging from simpler pub meals to fancy restaurant meals, so we ate at least one meal a day there. Every one of our meals was delicious. All in all we enjoyed our stay very much. We plan to return next year. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack W
Reviewed 18 August 2012

wow, how nice was this place, it was clean tidy spacious rooms with all the facilities you need offering good local food and well presented has good amenities for all ages the kids will love the play area with enough space for them to run around safely the staff are very polite and friendly and must say a massive thank you to the landlord and landlady for all there help in gettin me where i needed to go they even went out there way to offer me a lift into the next county how nice was that of them so have to say a massive thank to all of them for looking after my needs:) ryan_lole@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2012

5 of us went there for my sons birthday, short staff had to wait 15 mins to be shown to our table, we didnt have starters. main meal took an hour to arrive. meal was ok. when the bill arrived paid it with a tip included, the owner/manager then took the money to the kitchen and came back saying it was short. i categorically know how much i left, as did 2 of our party. when i told the manager this he blew a fuse and said we accused him of being a thief... i did not want this to ruin the birthday so i settled the bill begrudgingly as i told him. I will never go back there again because of his attiude, and will tell anyone else my reasons why. it was his whole attitude and did not expect to be shouted at like this. Being a local business owner in the hospitality sector do not think this is acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank GracienneJ
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week for a reunion with a large group of friends (12 of us in all). It was a great location, just 10 minutes from the motorway, as we were travelling from all over the south west. The setting is lovely, out in the countryside. Very peaceful and pretty.
The accommodation was very comfortable and decorated nicely. All of the staff were very friendly and welcoming. We all ate here together on the first night and the food and menu were so good (and reasonable) we decided to eat again on the second night. We will definitely choose the Anchor again, next time we all meet. It was an absolutely fabulous couple of days,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Went with a party of eight on the recommendation of family and had a lovely evening. The food was lovely, not 'ping' food which is so often the norm' in pubs. Prices were fair for the quality. Service was good and all staff were friendly. I think that most of the rooms have been redocorated recently as it certainly seemed fresher and brighter than when I last visited a few years ago. Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Been to The Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!