“The best Carvery ever had!!!! :)))))”
Review of The Anchor Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
and 1 more site!
The Anchor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hillfarrance B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“The best Carvery ever had!!!! :)))))”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

First time at the anchor inn.
Lovely setting, in the countryside.
A little hidden jem.
Sunday roast Carvery was AMAZING.
Great service, friendly staff.
Pricing was good.
Desserts lovely.
Good wine.

We Will defiantly be returning.
And bring more friends and family to this place.
:)))))

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank leannepaul2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The food in the pub is excellent. Almost all locally raised and grown for locavores out there. Delicious.The owners, barkeeps, etc. very friendly. I highly recommend this country pub and inn for anyone driving through Somerset, staying near Taunton, etc. Or biking. It's right on cycling route.
If you're not staying overnight, make plans to eat lunch or dinner at the pub.
BTW, excellent wifi that's included in the very reasonable rates.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I paid £60 for a double room, for one night. Booked through Laterooms. Payment for room was taken at time of booking.

Good points:
The pub is great. Lovely food, good choice on the menu, good portions, good value. Locals are really friendly. I'd be happy with this as my local! Oh, just one thing re food - I ordered a steak (medium to well done), but it arrived rare. (Was too tired to initiate a comment, and at no point in the meal was I asked if everything was ok.)

Room a good size, plenty of floorspace. Bathroom was clean. Bed linen good quality, with a good feel to it, not cheap scratchy stuff, smelled clean.

Bad points:
Hospitality/welcome of owners is non-existent. Hard work and they're not forthcoming with usual pleasantries you would expect from a service provider. Poor communicators.

The bedroom had a good few cobwebs in obvious places. Carpet needed attention, nothing a good vacuum and carpet washer couldn't handle.

Took AGES for hot water to materialise in the shower. I was just about to give up on it when I felt a bit of heat so stuck with it. It wasn't great, but just enough. Would be a different story in winter! The water flow was awful. Not much more than a trickle.

Mobile signal was rubbish, with no signal at all in the buildings. Signal was acquired by standing in the middle of the car park. Wifi signal wasn't great either. Not to be relied upon if you need it! No public phone available to make calls.

Breakfast is served in the pub. Basically toast and cereal, tea and concentrated orange juice. Not included in price, ordered night before.

Ate breakfast, then went off to pack bags and load car before going to settle the bill and return key.

On my return to settle up, the external door to pub was now locked, with no clear way in and no one around. After trying a couple of doors and seeking assistance, the door to the function room was unlocked. I called out and walked to the kitchen entrance. A young chap in chefs whites appeared, so I explained I was looking to settle the bill and hand back keys. He said he'd get someone for me and disappeared.

He returned a couple of minutes later to say that my bill had already been paid. "Laura took the payment because she was going out." Seriously?!?! If it was Laura who served the breakfast, why couldn't she mention it at that point? All she had to do was mention it!!

I was livid.

No opportunity to check the bill was correct, let alone asked how I was going to pay it. Maybe I wanted to pay using cash, or use a different card to that for reserving the room!! Failed to ask.

I ended up having to visit my bank when I got home. Thanks for the headache and hassle Laura!! Really didn't appreciate what you chose to do.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Andrea D
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Although I was called back to work due to an emergency and we had to leave a day early we felt let down by the standard of the facilities.
1 the shower was (after 10mins) just a warm dribble.
2 the free wifi was indeed free but definitely wasn't wifi as all it would say was network error, my laptop connected once in 3 days
3 we know it is in the country but why not just a flick around the rooms and remove all the cobwebs and other large insects prior to guests arrival
4 we did expect more from our stay due to the price and if we had known about these issues we would've chosen one of the larger hotel chains.
Having said this the surroundings were lovely, the locals friendly and the food was wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013
Hereford
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We spent one night here on our way to Cornwall. The rooms are in a motel style block at the rear of the pub, and are clean, comfortable and quiet. The welcome tray was well equipped.

We were made to feel very welcome in the pub and had an excellent bar meal in the evening. One very small criticism: we were asked to make a selection for breakfast the evening before, and apart from the cooked breakfast, items were individually priced. This seems an odd way to do things, it might be better to have an all-in price for an English breakfast or a continental breakfast.
Overall this is a comfortable, good value place to stay in a lovely part of West Somerset.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Grabs, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I was amazed at the disparity between the reviews and my own experience. OK, its a nice country pub that does food and rooms but certainly nothing special.
Evening meal was OK but a little overpriced.
Room was cold. I arrived late and the heating was off and stayed off untill 7.00am
Beds were very poor quality.
Breakfast was hearty enough and freshly cooked but not worth 10 pounds.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I have stayed here on a few occasions, on my own and with family and friends.
The staff were very welcoming and the food was lovely, proper country style food, non of that microwave rubbish, strongly recomend the pies, also had a great night sleep. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillfarrance
Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5 Jct 25
Travelodge Taunton
Travelodge Taunton
#8 of 17 in Taunton
Fitzhead Inn
Fitzhead Inn
#5 of 55 in Taunton

Been to The Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!