“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
Sydney
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I returned to Wolgan Valley for the 2nd time and thoroughly enjoyed our 2 days at the resort. The managers and staff were very much focused on providing superior service to the guests and in conversations with some, the consensus was that the ambiance felt while at the resort would leave many pleasant memories and many guests returning. The accommodation and layout of the property in the valley is just a beautiful sight whether it be fog, rain or sunshine. The food was also amazing and we have already booked to return for our 3rd time. Highly recommended.
Gwen & Gordon

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying on the higher level - suites 11 to 15.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LillianSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Korean first
asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

The team made the stay exceptional during my stay on the 28th to the 30th Dec. Those 2 days there was definitely special which made the long trek (2.5 hrs) from Sydney worth it.

Wildlife Walk with Leigh - Wolgan seen through your eyes is that much more spectacular and we both came out a little more knowledgeable after that walk. Leigh was very passionate about the nature and his explanations of history of Wolgan, Australia etc etc lifted our spirits for the entire day.

Gastronomical Heaven in Wolgan - The food was exceptional... I think its the best meal I've had during my trip to Australia. Wolgan is the only leg of our holiday where I ordered double portions during lunch

(PS - the private pools need a bit of cleaning though. I understand its out in the wild and creepies can come in but perhaps a big clean when possible to get the webs away?)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gweyn F
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I think I read In the Australian newspaper that the resort was budgeted to cost $80 million and ended up costing $130 million. There's absolutely no doubt that no expense has been spared! Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort is not that easy to get to but it is no sense remote. From Sydney it is a 2.5 - 3 hr drive via the Blue Mountains so not a bad idea to stop off at somewhere like Leura for a coffee or drop into Katoomba and take a look at the Three Sisters famous rock formation. Once you are off the highway and take a right to Wolgan Valley (the Resort is sign-posted) it's about 25km to the property. It's all tarmac apart from a small section of about 500 metres of dirt early on. If you end up on a twisty dirt road you have gone past the entrance! Arriving at Wolgan Valley you'll see a tall timber post entry with the logo emblazoned on it. The name of the property is also on a big rock but in the sun it can be difficult to see. We didn't see it and thought the entry was to the helipad and continued on another 8km on the dirt and had to come back after getting directions. It might be a good idea to make the sign easily legible in any weather from a moving car Emirates. When you roll up at the gate house you are met by a member of staff who will offer you a cool drink or use of the bathroom facilities there as it's about a 10-15 minute wait before one of their four wheel drives will arrive in the car park to drive you to reception. The short drive through the property is a nice introduction to what is to come. At reception you are warmly greeted and offered a cool towel to freshen up and then a glass of sparkling or whatever you prefer. Lunch runs until 4pm with check-in at 3pm but they certainly don't have a problem with you arriving before 3pm and going to have lunch. Lunch is nice and casual in the "cafe" with its doors pulled open in good weather so you can enjoy the spectacular view. Local Australian wines and beers are included with your lunch (and dinner) and there's a good selection. Service is warm and friendly and definitely not obsequious. Along with breakfast, lunch and dinner, various other activities are included in your daily rate including property tours by 4 wheel drive (a must - and the canapes and sparkling at the old homestead at the end are a very nice touch); and an arena ride on horseback down at their impressive stables. You'll find mountain bikes parked outside your suite and there are endless walking opportunities. There's also extra things to pay for like spa treatments and horse rides. Our suite was beautifully designed and furnished - nice pool, sitting room, verandah with great views, divine bed and huge shower inside the decadent bathroom. A welcome bottle of wine with glasses was on the table to greet us but this mysteriously disappeared on day 2. Not really a problem as there is a fridge with complimentary beer and wine in your suite together with packets of nuts and other good stuff. Dinner in the dining room is a very nice affair and there's a choice of a 5 or 6 course menu or a la carte or a mix of both. Whatever you want you can have at Wolgan Valley Resort. Breakfast is in the dining room also and it depends on occupancy levels as to whether the buffet is out or you order a la carte - whatever, it is all excellent and lots of local produce. This is relaxation at its most exclusive without a hint of stuffiness. Full marks to Emirates for having a resort of this exceptional quality far from the madding crowd.

1 Thank yungkara
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Simply sublime and a very authentic Australian experience . Nothing is too much trouble or too challenging for the staff. Ok the glitterati if the world may have been here but even those humble of us (like me) are welcomed as the same. There is no standing on ceremony. The staff are discrete at all times and knowledgable of the local history. You can do everything or nothing. The Timeless Spa is a must and like me you can get a very sore butt from two different saddles - equine & mountain bike. Thank you Matt for your patience and brilliance as a trail guide. You make an 1.5hr fly but you just know and share so much.Highlights so numerous - an exquisite degustation event under the stars at the original homestead, relaxing in my own indoor/outdoor pool, having an upfront acquaintance with a common wombat -but I guess getting up in the predawn and walking through the mists capturing that unique indigo light with a morning chorus of birds and, surrounded by native animals who are as curious of me as I am of them, is just one of those lifetime experiences.

Room Tip: every room is the same and is a heavenly experience - especially the fireplace at night. There is no...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Resort was simply stunningly perfect. My wife and I travel extensively internationally, and have the fortune at staying in some of the top hotels, be it the Amans, Manderin Orientals, Oberoi's etc.... so our standards are commiserate, and our expectations high. What we look for is uniqueness and service... If you view some of our other reviews, you will realize, we are not prone to high praises.

We had stayed at Qualia for five nights preceding this stay and quite frankly, Wolgan superceded them in every respect (please see the separate review). We were glad we stayed here second, as Qualia would have been disappointing as a second stop. The review below is extensive, as this place is off the beaten path, and its website, while beautiful does not do it justice (how rare is that?)

From the moment we arrived at Wogan Valley Resort, we were stunned.

Setting.

The scenery and setting of the lodge is breathtaking... the only comparisons that could be made were to the top African Safari Resorts...Singita etc... vasts amounts of open space... think the American Grand Canyon without tourists or buildings....

Villas

Each and every villa has a private indoor/outdoor plunge pool.. which is great, but it is the rooms, decor, and attention to detail which we so appreciated.... Each piece of furniture appeared bespoke, and every light switch made to look appropriate to the period... double sided fireplace dominated the main room and separated the sitting area from the bed... the televisions and entertainment cleverly hidden behind secret panels so as not to detract from the setting (we did not turn on the tele once during our stay....).. My wife said the bed was her giant marshmallow - and it was simply divine... The bathroom was huge and private....with dual sinks separate rain shower and movable heads... and all high quality fixtures.... it is truly something out of Architectural Digest.

Main Facilities

Beautiful Main building where both breakfast and dinner are served... it was both casual and refined....(most people dressed nicely for dinner, but still a bit relaxed - upscale casual)... there was no stuffiness... simply relaxed enjoyment. The lunch facilities are at a separate restuarant which is very light and organic....

The food was out of this world... and the chef clearly understood the balance between fine art, and simplicity.... there was not a single guest we met that failed to sing praises about what had been accompolished... the tuna tar tare with popped rice was stunning, and the best filet of waygu beef I have ever had.. we asked for some special dishes and some changes during our five days, as my wife only eats fish, and each request was met with ease and a smile...not a moments hesitation.. from either the waitstaff nor the chef....

The staff: Wow. The staff truly outdid themselves... any staff member could be asked anything and they would see to it....(they did not say.. "thats not my area" or go see so and so... rather, they simply took care of it.... for example, my wife and I missed an afternoon tour of the valley becuase we had incorrectly set our clocks (we showed up an hour late)... the manager, Jayson paused for a moment, then said, no worries, I'll simply take you... and within 5 minutes he had found a replacement for the desk, and drove us around the property for a personal tour... Wow, that is service.

Spa: Beautiful Design... my wife and I had a couples massage, and it was fantastic - the spa therapist took time to find out about us... what truly were our needs... and revised their techniques during the massage to insure as they proceeded, that we were comfortable, stretched and relaxed..... we walked out new people... My wife later had a facial and said it was simply the best she had ever had (again, we did each of these same treatments at Qualia, but there they fell short of the mark... kind of like the difference of a kind friend versus a true professional).

Activities...

Some reviews have commented that the safari drives were limited... and this is true... the whole point is to take your own hikes into the miles and miles of trails (each villa is provided with two mountain bikes, and my wife and I rode endless miles each day into the endless valley amongst the beautiful scenery and wildlife).. The "Safari" drives were simply a good introduction of the layout of the place...... plus the main swimming pool was stunning, never had more than about 4 people around it (eveyone pretty much stuck to their private pools....)...

As to the horse riding.. Mathew was an amazing kind spirit who truly understood horses and the need to match rider and horse... my wife, an advanced rider did an extended ride into the valley which was wonderful.. (I did a lesson, and Mathew was patient and kind....).. This is a must do while at the resort...

In the Main Dining Room hats off particularly to Shane!, Lisette, Jesse, Catherine and Greg.... The staff was there at an instant, impeccable, and equal to service at the best fine dining establishment anywhere in the world... for example, my wife likes a glass of champagne in the morning, and Shane would magically have already placed a filled bubbling glass for her prior to our sitting down... with a smile..(again, such service)...

In the Spa, hats off to Tenneille, Ainslie, and Jordana...... they were simply marvelous!...

Lastly, I touch upon the housekeeping, who seemed to magically appear whenever we left our villa, like kind ghost that perfected the room throughout the day.... (we have sometimes experienced this, but it is a rare art)...

Room Tip: We preferred rooms on the lower level, along the river... with no buildings seen out your windows...
7 Thank culturebound
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The setting in the valley is breathtaking and architecturally the resort is a stunning example of understated luxury. We were beautifully looked after by the staff. There is no mobile phone signal however the resort has a decent internet connection. One of Australia's best resorts for sure.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Weekend getaway from Sydney booked here. For the price tag had a pretty high expectation of what we would get at this premium/luxury hotel.

Whilst I'm not a big fan of bush getaways I have to say the location is absolutely stunning. International tourists this would give you a good taste of how beautiful our country is. Complete with wildlife around a far better idea than seeing them in a zoo.

Room was definitely luxury all the way through. You can really picture yourself living in these. Clever layout, big size and high end throughout. The indoor private pool is the big bonus for us. Bathroom is a stand out with a massive bath tub (you could actually fit two people easily), skylight shower changes the feel and plenty of room to spread out. Dressing area certainly was impressive too.

Now to the staff. I'd have to say they were "nice" but nothing above and beyond. You get the feeling it's a lot of backpackers there for the experience. They know the correct order/way to do things say in the dining room but it was the bare minimum. Seemed to be missing someone with a bit of experience to keep things organised. Seemed like we were always trying to find someone to help us and they were simply nowhere to be found. Given wine is included it certainly seemed hard to get refills. Not exactly the nicest wines, again my expectation is based on the price per night.

Food was also missing something. It looked good. Each individual ingredient was nice but something was missing when it all came together.
The staff were always friendly. I can't put my finger on what was missing exactly but I certainly left feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Keep in mind there is free wifi everywhere but no phone service. This can be a bonus.

Loved the nightly turn down service. Great touch.

So is it beautiful? Absolutely. Is it high end luxury rooms? Absolutely.
Is the food/wine to same standard? For us no. #firstworldproblems

Overall we enjoyed but not sure we would rush to recommend.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
The Bowen Inn Motel
The Bowen Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Lithgow
Lithgow Workies Club Motel

Been to Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley? Share your experiences!