“Not Cheap But Uniquely Unique”

Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
Sydney, Australia
“Not Cheap But Uniquely Unique”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I just returned from Wolgan Valley and the warm glow of a great little holiday is still upon us. Our experience with the staff was very good, they were attentive and thoughtful and often asked how we were enjoying our anniversary (without hints or prompts). As aussies ourselves I can see how some locals might find the staff a little laid back at this price point however we found them to be genuinely interested in us and our experience at the resort and I think overseas visitors would enjoy their 'Australianness".The rooms (suites) are amazing, we've been lucky enough to stay in suites in some of the best hotels in Asia and Europe and this is as good as any. Breakfast and lunch were excellent meals on both days with good variety and eat as little or as much as you like. Dinner however was hit and miss , the chefs appear to be aiming at clever, minimalist food but we found it quirky and not up to the standard of a good Australian restaurant. But don't be backward in asking for more or for some variation to what's presented, the staff are accommodating and the sides we requested were really excellent.
We would recommend the place as a truly unique experience

Room Tip: Request the high side of the resort to get a panoramic view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Korean first
PA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is my fifth visit to Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa and again, the time here was fantastic in every way. As we drove in over the mountains, the fig was low and light rain, but as we approached the valley, the sun peaked through and most of the low level cloud rose. As we entered the resort plenty of sunshine and low cloud that made the resort stunning to look at as we stood on the expansive balcony of the main lodge.

Joost, the ever attentive and brilliant General Manager was on hand to ensure all went well for my stay. No wonder he was named. Best Hotel General Manager by Leading Hotels of the World and Andrew Harper.

After checking our suites out, we headed out on an afternoon safari and saw many kangaroo, wallabies and wallaroos with our Aussie guide Nick!

Back to a huge degustation dinner with fine wine pairings made me ready for a sleep in the most unbelievable beds I have ever slept on.

Waking up, there was a kangaroo on the lawn outside my suite to welcome me to another stunning day.

If you want to best, you must come here.

Room Tip: Great for families with their huge 2 and 3 bedroom suites!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieIan
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 May 2014

There is no doubt that this is a uniquely positioned resort in a stunning part of the world. I felt supremely proud to be Australian seeing the landscape. However, we left our 2 night stay disappointed and would not rush to recommend Wolgan Valley. The reason - the staff are not up to scratch. One gets the feeling that the staff think they are working at Holiday Inn as every request seems a bit hard for them to pull off. I admit, my expectations were high at this price point. I expected a comparable experience to other $1000 a night resorts around the world and boy was I in for
shock. Examples include, it took 5 emails (including a couple to Dubai, to establish if children were welcome - I just couldn't get a straight answer), we were promised a children's bike at checkin but 24 hours later it still hadn't arrived and I had to chase it up with 2 phone calls, basic breakfast items like strawberries were unavailable both mornings (we've run out...), the receptionist at the spa insisted I was late for my appointment and I would miss 15 minutes of my $300 treatment (untrue, and
at this price point I don't expect attitude from staff), tray charges for room service were inconsistently applied, food was actually really average. I did complain to a staff member on day 2 as the issues piled up and wine was sent to the room as service recovery. Disappointingly the GM did look me up on Linkedin the week after we left but for some reason failed to make contact.
Friends who asked what I thought of WV were encouraged to go elsewhere if service is important. At this price point you can stay anywhere in the world. WV should remember that.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Springstreet77
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I took my husband for a special birthday, and wow was it ever special. From the moment of arrival when we were met by Sean and offered a cool drink and hot towels, to the fine details of a candle being lit in the bathroom by housekeeping and the gas fire being turned on prior to our return after dinner, this place was gorgeous. The privacy of being in a separate cabin with every luxury available was appreciated. I didn't bring a swimming costume as I assumed it would be too cold to swim. Little did I realise that each cabin's private pool was an indoor heated pool. No matter, being private, one could still swim without the need for a costume. The staff were extremely professional and friendly. What distinguishes a property is often the level of service and at Wolgan Valley, the service was top notsch. The food was delicious, the chocolates, fruit platter and wine on arrival a nice touch, and the bikes on each porch were well utilised. It was a glorious weekend of indulgence and activity as there are pleny of walks, rides and things to do.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at Wolgan Valley over the Easter weekend, and had absolutely perfect weather for our entire stay. The suites/rooms are all the same, but some locations are preferable to others. Given the presence of a few groups with large numbers of children I really think we could have been a little more out of the way, rather than at the end of the main driveway where we did get some noise from other guests- despite a request on booking to be more isolated.

We enjoyed hiking and bike riding by ourselves, and the walk to the glow worm cave was a great workout with wonderful views on a beautiful morning. However, no-one spoke to us about any other options for guided walks or tours.

We have previously stayed at Southern Ocean Lodge, Saffire and qualia so I do think I am able to compare these properties.The service at the Country Kitchen and the lunches we enjoyed there were superior to the dining room meals. Our hot breakfasts in the dining room were obviously partly prepared in advance, so the eggs and other elements were not hot. In fact, they were not even warm and quite disappointing for this level of property. I would not put the meals at Wolgan Valley at the same level as Southern Ocean Lodge or Saffire (these are far superior in my opinion), but probably at the same level as Saffire for dinner, but way below all these properties for breakfast. At dinner we also repeatedly had to ask for an initial drink a well as refills of glasses- this was not an issue at lunch. Is this because it is all inclusive, and there's some attempt to save money?

I used the day spa and thought the treatment was excellent- a really indulgent experience and well worth the extra cost.

Overall the experience was very good and the scenery wonderful but the quality of the meals and dining room service are not at the same level as other Australian properties of a similar cost.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoJoSydney_Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Wolgan Valley is a piece of heaven just three hours’ drive from Sydney. It is a place for a short romantic getaway, perfect for any special occasion celebration.

The service is top notch; all the employees are friendly and very professional. When you arrive into the resort, there is someone to escort you (with your luggage) in an SCV into the 4000 acres resort compound. At the front desk reception, you will be served with wine or champagne while they check in you and give you a brief introduction of the resort.

All the meals are delicious since they source all ingredients no further than 180km from the resort.

There are two free activities per day but make sure you save enough time to enjoy the suite. With a heated private pool in each suite and a cozy fireplace, it is difficult to leave your suite to do anything else!

I would also recommend riding your bike around compound near sunset, there are heaps of animals roaming around, perfect for a photography opportunity.

The only negative comment would probably be the restaurant service. Like what many travelers mentioned in their reviews, service was a little random. On our first night, dinner service was spot on (Dylan is awesome!), but on our second night, an 8 course meal took over 2.5 hours (we left at the 7th course), it was as if the waitress had forgotten about us.

Even though the price tag is hefty, I would recommend spending at least three nights as there are so much to do and enjoy. I am already looking forward to going back to Wolgan!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had 2 relaxing nights for our babymoon in May. We stayed 2 nights (Monday & Tuesday) and loved it.. She loved the amenities of the resort and our well appointed, comfortable and spacious heritage suite. I loved the mountain bikes outside every suite and the well marked tracks to explore.

The food and service were fabulous. The country kitchen and the dining room were sanctuaries by day and night. Sidney was the standout waitress who always greeted us with a courteous smile.

We indulged in a treatment at the spa and were blown away by the experience. A must!

The real star of this resort for us is the location. It's remote beauty will enchant you. It is teaming with wildlife at your doorstep. Exploring the property by bike or on the guided tours is essential to absorb the essence of Wolgan Valley resort. The indulgent hospitality and food caps it off.

Its pricey but you have to try it at least once. Eat drink and relax in the quintessential (luxurious) Australiana experience. Don't bother staying one night as check in is at 3pm and the day is already gone. To appreciate it's beauty you'll need 2-3 at least!
We'll be back soon...

The Bowen Inn Motel
The Bowen Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Lithgow
Lithgow Workies Club Motel

Been to Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley? Share your experiences!