“That 80's show”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parkside
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“That 80's show”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Our Adelaide office made the booking as it was close to the industrial district!

Place was dated but seemed reasonably clean and tidy. Hotel is only two stories with no lift to the 2nd floor. Stairs are narrow which made it awkward lugging in two suitcase, a laptop and carry bag!
The room was okay, dated with natural light filtered out by overgrown trees. The heater didn't work so I went to bed in sweats (advised front desk but nothing done about it). The shower taps are old style individual taps which I got lightly scolded when trying to find the right balance of cold/hot! The one spare blanket was ragged and thin!
Hot Breakfast was mediocre and out me off dining there. The hotel staff are efficient but not very accommodating to you (apart from the old bloke on nightshift at the front desk)! I didn't see any o'seas tourists staying here so that should of sent alarm bells off! Car parking is good and it is free. It's about a 20min walk to the city on a flat footpath and there is a bus stop out front so that's not so bad!
I would suggest staying elsewhere

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank halfpie_job
Corporateaustfemale, Director of Sales at Tiffins on the Park, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you for submitting your review, Trip Advisor is a fantastic tool to aid travellers decision of where to stay and what to do, this year we have been awarded a certificate of excellence with a score of 4/5 from trip advisor as a result of guest reviews. Like anything this is subject to personal opinions both positive and negative and can sometimes be taken out of context, a reason we choose to respond to all reviews posted.

After several years of neglect the property received new owners in November of 2011 and has been steadily refurbished every day since. While there remains many things on our proverbial to do list there are many more items completed.

So far all public & external areas have been painted, the guest rooms have also been painted. New plasma TV’s have been installed in all guest rooms. New bedding and furniture has been installed in most guest rooms.

The restaurant has been overhauled with new presentation, menu and staff. The hotel and 176 Bar & Grill are now welcoming a wide range of Australian and International acclaimed musicians for various weekly and monthly performances.

The resort style pool area has been improved dramatically and is a very pleasant area to sit and relax with the bar adjacent, dining is also possible in this area.

Given the age of the property the only place evident of this is the bathrooms which are currently being re-grouted and tiled however they are clean and freshly painted.

We have a wonderful team of housekeepers and maintenance staff working tirelessly to ensure the property is clean and under good repair. Our front of house staff are here to help when ever needed, our 24 hour reception team will ensure you are not without any time day or night including assistance with excess and heavy luggage upon request.

This property is a place you want to stay and return to, the location is great and the free parking is fantastic.

There is so much to love about Tiffins on the Park! The owners and staff are all so passionate about this beautiful property and know our guest experience is paramount.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed for 1 night last week on business and was happy with the stay.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean and tidy albeit a little dark.

Did not eat in but did order the breakfast which was good.

I will stay again when I am next in the Adelaide area.

2 Thank David W
Corporateaustfemale, Director of Sales at Tiffins on the Park, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We enjoy hearing about our guests stay as it gives us an insight to their needs and wants when staying with us.
We are very pleased that you found our staff to be both friendly and knowledgeable during your stay.
We hope that on your next stay you will be able to enjoy our wonderful restaurant - 176 Bar & Grill - We offer a wide variety of dishes across our Tapas, A La Carte and casual dining menus. Dinning is also available by our resort style pool. We hope to see you soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The weather was stinking hot and I was damp, tired and a little overwrought from driving a hire car in a strange city with faltering sat-nav - oh and the air-con on full blast, (this gave me a strange, but unwanted, wild new hair do).

Arriving at Tiffins felt like finding an oasis in a desert. The receptionist offered a very pleasant welcome to the damp woman with wild hair, which was much appreciated. I was also warned to book for dinner that night as they were very busy - it was the fringe Festival week. Following that quick and efficient check- in I was soon in my room.

A cool, comfortable and quiet space, crisp white linen, a roomy bathroom and a fabulous restaurant in the hotel restored and calmed me at the end of a busy work day. The food was so good that I ate in the restaurant both nights..

I recommend Tiffins on the Park to you and won't hesitate to stay there again when I next return to Adelaide.

BTW - There is a pool too - but I forgot my bathers :(

Room Tip: I chose a downstairs room away from the pool and the bar and also because I had three suitcases to m...
3 Thank Geraldine Q
Corporateaustfemale, Director of Sales at Tiffins on the Park, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us, we really appreciate your feedback.
We are so glad you were able to experience and enjoy our wonderful restaurant - 176 Bar & Grill - during your stay. Now that the Fringe season has ended we return to free live music in the bar every Friday night coupled with double bubbles, hopefully your next stay can include a Friday night.

Booking an executive queen or business class suite on the ground floor is definitely a great way to avoid the stairs to the first floor and your so close to the public areas like the resort style undercover pool adjacent to the bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Auckland
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This place was only just ok. Rooms just clean enough, a bit of mould around, generally seems to be very dated décor. They seemed to be having electrical problems with no lights in hallways.

Pool was good.

Breakfast was one of the better I have had in a hotel setting, they are usually poor.

Upside is onsite parking at no charge, I would probably go to somewhere closer to the centre of town or out near the beaches.

1 Thank slamminsam
Corporateaustfemale, Director of Sales at Tiffins on the Park, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We really appreciate it and will take on board all of your suggestions and endeavour to continue to improve our property. We are continuing to refresh the appearance and facilities of our guest amenities including the introduction of new furnishings, flat screen TV’s into all rooms and suites as well as fresh paint to all hotel interior & external areas.
Being a small hotel on the edge of the city parklands we enjoy being able to offer our guests a welcoming environment and an alternative to the typical busy city hotels. With complimentary inclusions like car parking & Wi-Fi in public areas we're also great value. Our resort style undercover pool is an ideal spot to relax and enjoy a beverage from the adjacent bar or order a snack from one of our menus.
Just a short stroll from the hotel you will find the Hutt St restaurant district where you can find a wide variety of cuisines to enjoy. Shopping areas of the city are a longer yet easy walk and we offer a 24 hour reception desk where our friendly staff can assist you with bus or tram time tables and any other needs you may have during your stay.
Geelong Victoria
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed 4 nights in a large upstairs refurbished room facing the ring road. There was minimal traffic noise as the windows are double glazed. Nice large TV with limited channels. There were two towels, a bath mat and two facewashers provided along with soap, shampoo and conditioner. Twinings tea provided in room.
Fully cooked breakfast was good but didnt vary during our stay. Eggs are "cooked to order" but my request for an omlete was turned down because "all the ingredients they would use are available in the bain marie". Plenty of pastries fruit and cereal on offer. Basic coffee or Twinings tea are included with breakfast but cuppacinos and lattes need to be purchased.
Didn't try the restaurant for dinner.
There was an over abundance of eating establishments on Hutt Street within a ten minute walk. The CBD is a 30 munute walk. Busses available just outside the hotel.
The under cover swimming pool was crystal clear and a welcome relief after a hard day.
Free on site parking.
Very helpful and friendly staff. We would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bozz56
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful stay with us. We really appreciate the time taken to do so and the praise for our staff and property.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed the comforts of our completed refurbished rooms. As part of our ongoing refurbishment we are moving through the property refreshing paint, installing new furniture and flat screen TV’s into all rooms.
Breakfast in 176 Bar & Grill is available daily and offers the choice of a Continental selection or Full Cooked buffet style. Both options allow you to graze at your leisure on the assorted fresh cut & preserved fruits, yoghurts, cereal and pastries. The cooked option includes sautéed mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns and bacon. On occasion various specials pop up like frittata, sausages and pancakes. Our chef offers eggs cooked your way, fried, poached or scrambled. We have begun to receive greater volume of requests for omelettes and when possible our chefs will be happy accommodate your desires.
Our resort style undercover pool area is a fantastic spot to unwind with the bar adjacent you can also enjoy a beverage or order from our variety of menu options.
Thank you for the glowing recommendation of our service and facilities. We hope to see you again soon!
Victoria
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I am just home from three days, (two nights) in Adelaide

I stayed here at Tiffins on the Park. I had read the reviews before I booked. Bruce at reception was excellent on the phone when I made my reservation. Everything he told me was true, I was made to feel welcome upon arrival

I was more than happy with my stay. Some aspects of the building may be a little tired but it is solid, my room was perfect. Clean, fresh, comfortable bed, great shower, I was in the rear of the building and it was totally silent. The bar fridge was silent also
The air con was fabulous, with the free parking there was always a space. The staff were simply fantastic. It's easy to find, it's well located on the south side of the city and I loved the green canopied driveway

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to family and friends and I will certainly stay there on future Adelaide visits

Thanks for great hospitality and a great place to stay

Best wishes AA

Room Tip: At the back, my room was 119 and don't open the alarmed emergency exit like I mistakenly did
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrew A
Corporateaustfemale, Director of Sales at Tiffins on the Park, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
It was wonderful to read about your stay, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We truly pride ourselves on our friendly staff and our atmosphere, it is fantastic to know you felt this as soon as you arrived. Being a small hotel on the edge of the city park lands we enjoy being able to offer our guests a welcoming environment and an alternative to the typical busy city hotels. With complimentary inclusions like car parking & Wi-Fi in public areas we're also great value.
We are now 1 year into our revamp of the property and are improving the look & feel daily. Since your stay we have painted 176 Bar & Grill, started painting guest rooms and the exterior of the property and are introducing new furnishings.
We hope to have you stay with us again soon. Thank you for your great recommendation.
Monticello
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

I would say it is a 2 1/2 star in USA. Needs some updating. Some "mold or dirt" on shower base. Very dirty windows, but no view anyway. Parking good and free. Bed ok. Quiet location. No lift to 2nd floor. Staff friendly. Need a car to get to town area - about 20 min walk.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SAPMAN
Since our new management team came on board 1yr ago we have been tirelessly working to improve our guests comfort level and the presentation of the property, inside and out, while still maintaining the value for money we are known for. On your next visit you will see further evidence of this, over the Christmas & New Year break we have painted several more of our guest rooms, 176 Bar & Grill and also the exterior of the property. Outside we have removed most of the old shade cloth canopies and overgrown garden beds. We had added new chairs in 176 Bar & Grill as well as new booths in the bar area. We have started to re-grout our guest bathrooms 1 at a time, this is a lengthy process but is well under way.
As we are a smaller hotel on the fringe of the CBD park lands we are a great alternative to a city hotel and only a short stroll to the Hutt St restaurant district. Shopping areas of the city are a longer yet easy walk and we offer a 24 hour reception desk where our friendly staff can assist you with bus or tram time tables and any other needs you may have during your stay.
We have a wonderful team of staff and are pleased to know you found them to be the highlight of your stay. We hope that on your next visit to Adelaide you stay with us and can experience all the improvements for yourself.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkside
Arkaba Hotel
Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury
Hilton Adelaide
Hilton Adelaide
#18 of 57 in Adelaide

Been to Tiffins on the Park? Share your experiences!