“Piece of Australian history”

Wiss House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Kalbar B&B and Inns
sydney
“Piece of Australian history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wiss House and the surrounding area. It is such a serene location with so much to enjoy. I came from spending a few days on Surfers and I can easily say that visiting the country was a welcome retreat from all the lights and noise.

I was after a relaxing time away and that is exactly what I got. The house itself is so rich in history, you can read through the scrapbook in the lounge room to discover all the specific mentions of Wiss House in past news.

I recommend coming with your favourite book so you can sit on the verandah and soak in the mountain views and sunlight.

I thoroughly enjoyed the drive to Kalbar and made many stops just to enjoy the open space. I've lived in Australia (Sydney) my whole life and I didn't know how beautiful our country is until I visited Kalbar.

Room Tip: You have a dilemma of really nice four poster bed without ensuite bathroom or nice room with ensuite...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank billy t
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Your appreciation of Kalbar, its beauty, peace and tranquilty and the history of the house is exactly why l chose to open a bed and breakfast here. I wanted people to be able to experience the natural peace and beauty away from the city and yet so close...just an hour away.
The town of Kalbar is a delight to live in and is how l remember Australia was when l was growing up.
I thank you so much for writing your wonderful review and hope to see you again sometime. Kind regards Sara

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

What a beautiful, relaxing bed and breakfast. Our room was wonderful with a magnificent 4 poster bed and comfy pillows. Sarah our host cooked the most amazing dinner and breakfast sourcing all local produce. This is definitely somewhere I will be visiting again!

• Stayed June 2013
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thankyou so much for the great review Sonja, I really try to support our local growers, bakers, butchers etc because the products out here are really good, especially our local organic butcher, baker, smallgood maker. I use organic wherever possible - eggs, vegies, preserves and meat.
Really hope to see you back here again. Kind regards Sara
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Wiss House is a beautiful historic home in Kilbar which is full of old world charm.

The rooms have lovely fittings and features and my bed was very comfortable! I was fortunate to be allocated the ensuite room, and it was a real treat! It had a clawfoot bath!

The dining room, where breakfast and dinner were served, is absolutely gorgeous - with many of the original features and lovely antique furniture.

Sarah is a warm and friendly host who made me feel very welcome. She is an excellent cook, the evening meals were varied, wholesome, and of excellent quality.

Sarah is an expert in the local attractions in the Scenic Rim that can be reached easily by car.

Kilbar and neighbouring Boonah were friendly and interesting. I can recommend the Kilbar butcher for quality meats - and they held my purchase overnight in the coldroom, ready for me to pick up on my way home!

I will be recommending Wiss House to my friends!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked comfortable and beautiful, but as this is a historic house, not all the rooms h...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Michelle, it was a delight to have you here for five days and thanknyou so much for taking the time to write a great review,
much appreciated.
I wish you all the best in the future.
kind regards Sara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wonderful partner Christo stayed at the Wiss House for a 1 night get away on the 22nd of June. What a beautiful amazing old Queensland style home made even more welcoming and friendly by Sara. She is the most gracious, friendly and hard working host , thank you Sara for making our stay romantic and full of fantastic memories what a lovely breakfast aswell.
We will be back for longer next time .

• Stayed June 2013
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and l cant tell you how much it picked me up having received it just after my mothers funeral. It makes all the difference in the world to be so appreciated by my guests and acknowledged for my hard work so please accept my heartfelt thank and gratitude . Hope to see you again.
Kind regards
. Sara
Gold Coast, Qld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Having just returned from our stay at Wiss House I would like to say what a wonderfully charming B & B it is. Sara is the most gracious, friendly and hard working host and we couldn't fault the meals we were offered that she worked so hard to make for us. The stunning decor just takes your breath away and all the antiques and old photos are so interesting. A real little hidden jewel. We were also lucky enough to be in town for the Kalbar show and then went on our wine tasting experience that was part of the coupon we bought, both of which we thoroughly enjoyed. All up a very relaxed and pleasurable weekend and extremely good value for money.

Room Tip: We had the large four poster king bed in the front room and although it doesn't have a private b...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Great time away for peace and quiet, beautiful scenery and friendly country folk! Lots to do in surrounding areas as well. Sara was amazing and made us feel right at home! We admired her knowledge of the history and passion for the house. Definitely worth a visit! Great value for money!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Well, after our accommodation at this hotel we feel so refreshed. it was time to relax and unwind. The hotel is spectacular, the food was stunning, friendly and great customer's service, spacious rooms, beautiful decoration, great music.In conclusion the hotel is lovely . Thanks Sara

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thankyou Yolanda and thanks for mentioning the great music as previous guests would not be aware we now have a pianola which anyone can play because the music is on rolls and you just peddle! There are 80 rolls of old time music, Great fun. Hope to see you both here again soon. Kind regards Sara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalbar
The Bunyip Scenic Rim Resort
#3 of 3 in Boonah
Spicers Peak Lodge
Spicers Peak Lodge
#1 of 3 in Maryvale

Been to Wiss House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!