“Inconsiderate, unhelpful, left a family with a child no place to stay”
Review of Bonnie Doon Hotel

Bonnie Doon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnie Doon
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were looking for accomodation on the weekend before cup day for a wedding, travelling with a small child. they refused to take our booking for only one night unless we paid for 2 claiming it was a long weekend. Unfortunately paying for a night of accommodation we didn't need was not something we could afford. Will be taking our business else where along with our very large family.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 592Bel
Tom C, Owner at Bonnie Doon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2016

This rating doesn't reflect on the motel (since you didn't stay with us, as stated) just on the fact you don't approve of our particular booking policy on that weekend. It's very common for motels to have a minimum booking over long weekends.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My better half and I went for his birthday lunch there just before Christmas (when our other choice for lunch was closed). Hadn't been there for several years and were not impressed back then, however this time under the new owners things had significantly improved. Much husband's steak was done exactly as he asked for it (a rare thing, no pun intended) and I had a chicken dish which was equally good. Just pub food, but properly prepared and delicious. The decor is very dated, which the new owner acknowledged when we chatted, but they are in the process of updating that aspect too. Even if they don't update the decor, the pleasant country views and good food are enough to ensure we'll go back again.

Thanks for the nice feedback.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Under new management/ownership, this place has changed big time. I spent my stay last weekend working my way through their terrific menu, which has a great burger selection through to a range of great mains - steaks, parmas, barra etc etc (awesome chips). The place was humming with country pub cheer and live music to chill out to, all during a wakeboarding event, apparently run by the pub. I was worried that the service might drop off as the wakeboarders came up to eat/drink but they had it covered with good organisation and extra staff. A highlight was meeting international wakeboarder Harley Clifford (top bloke). I'm currently planning a family visit to the region during snow season, and while staying there will use the open fires at the Bonnie Doon Hotel to escape the cold of Mt Buller (only 45 mins drive away!!!!!!!!!!!). Will post review after trip.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed for a few days. Great staff and excelelnt food. Had the porterhouse, steak sandwich, calmari, Southwest burger and the parma. All top notch. The locals that I spoke too said that the place was garbage before the new management took over, so they must have turned things around in a hurry. Keep up the great work guys!

Thanks!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I will definitely be coming back! My friends and I enjoyed a relaxing drink overlooking the beautiful lake. We then had a great meal, with all of us enjoying some different. The staff were very hospitable and friendly. We were back the next day (Sunday) to enjoy the sun, view and lunch, the burgers really hit the spot. I will be back!!!!

1  Thank Angie B

Good times. Thanks.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was the only one in the dated bistro and so believed my meal was going to of a good standard seeing as there was no one else to be seen anywhere. Ordered a chicken schnitzel and salad. Service was quick, but schnitzel arrived burnt!! The nice waitress stated, when I pointed it out to her that it was burnt, that she didn't notice as this is how she has hers cooked ( which would be ok if she paid for it and was going to eat it) but seeing as I was the customer I asked for another one to be cooked, no problem at all. Next one arrived and I have now gathered that the chef is a hack and has no idea how to cook a golden brown schnitzel. Price was ok (luckily) but I won't be rushing back, I'll look elsewhere next time.

1  Thank Carol W

Hi Carol, thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

As regular visitors to Bonnie Doon, great to see the transformation the new management have made to this pub in such a short time. Great beer garden overlooking the lake, cold beer, tasty food and friendly staff, what more would you want?! Perfect to park the boat on the shore and relax after a day on the water. Definitely recommend the sliders!

Thanks for coming. Glad you had a great time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnie Doon
The Corner Hotel Alexandra
The Corner Hotel Alexandra
#4 of 6 in Alexandra
Eildon Pondage Holiday Park

Been to Bonnie Doon Hotel? Share your experiences!