“Slow service and bland curries”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Yuva

Yuva
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Debden
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Nepalese, Eastern European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New Menu Available
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Slow service and bland curries”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We have just been here this evening. Service was very slow from the very beginning, we had to remind them about the poppadums, the starters were good, the main then took nearly an hour to arrive and the curries were bland. We did tell the staff the first chap did nothing, the next one gave us a free drink but really we just wanted a good curry and a nice evening.
Disappointingly evening all in all.

• Visited May 2014

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived without a reservation on friday but were greeted with a warming welcome. After offering us poppadoms and drinks, we was given the menus and it took us a long time to decide what to have because of the choices of food, you just feel like ordering everything. Then the waiter took our order and he gave us two main course of his own choice and we picked two. The food was freshly prepared and delicious. The service was very attentive and friendly. Will be back soon

Saffron Walden, UK
“Still serving very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

It's a year since our last visit, and it wasn't so manic this time.

The service was efficient and attentive. The menu still combines Tandoori, "traditional" Indian & Nepalese items, and the flavours & spicing were spot on.

The venue still has it.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good food, not sure about the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We came here as a table of 9 for my friends birthday. I was worried that the service was going to be slow after reading the other reviews but to be honest I think they were pretty quick.

We started with papadoms which were Ok. The sides which came with the papadoms were a little disappointing. There wasn't any lime pickle and to be honest, I can't remember what was there. Obviously not very inspiring.

The mains were good but where we had ordered just 2 mushroom rices, 3 mushroom rices and a special rice came out. I hope this was just a simple mistake and not a ploy to bump the bill up hoping because it was a big table that no one would notice.

I thought the bill at the end was a tad pricey and I'm not convinced that it was correct. It came to £21 each. Only 2 people were drinking alcohol, the majority of people were drinking water. No one had starters or desserts and we only had a couple of sides with the mains. Considering that in Thaxted not that long ago we had starters, mains, desserts and multiple alcoholic drinks for £24 each highlighting that either this place is very pricey, or the bill was wrong. Either way I doubt I'll be returning.

• Visited March 2014
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“I was hoping that it had improved, still the same.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This was my forth and probably last visit.
I lived in Debden when it opened a few years ago amongst all the flag waving and bells and whistles. It promised much.
On my return last week the food was still good value, different and tasty. The atmosphere is what you would expect from a 400 year old pub, but, the level of service is still poor. The staff seemed disinterested and whilst attempting to be caring and attentive seem to somehow miss the spot.
The service was acceptable but on the slow side. For the third time I did not receive the bill fold back with my change, they must have assumed that I was a big tipper, the service certainty did not justify 15% which the balance of the change.
The presentation of the obligatory giant brandy glass full of "quality street" was treated by the staff as the pinnacle of the evening.
Saying all that I will go back one hoping that the owners may have got the drift that eating out nowadays is all about service, as in any "retail" business.
I noticed with interest the disclaimer at the head of Yuva's page about service, maybe the owner could think on this.

• Visited February 2014