“Grim”
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Clavering
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A lovely village pub with a friendly, bright atmosphere; full of character that we hope to enhance and perfect. Dog friendly. We have a large beer garden and a small children's playing area. We offer a range of cask conditioned ales, popular lagers, and beers. Also a variety of wines and spirits are available. Unfortunately for the moment the kitchen is under maintenance, but we will soon offer homemade lunchtime and evening meals.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

No food whatsoever, apart from Sunday lunch.

Watery beer - Marston's Pedigree should be delicious, but four of us agreed that it was significantly diluted.

One pint, and we left for a much better pub up the road.

Avoid.

3  Thank peterjlondon1

Reviewed 24 March 2014

i was a bit nervous about our visit for Sunday lunch early in March as I'd read some of the reviews, but I was very pleasantly surprised. We were booked for 6 people, but in the morning our party called up to see if we could add 3 children on too (booked so long ago we didn't know if we'd be bringing them all!) And they happily added 3 more to our table plus we bought 2 babies as well! I agree that they should have a few starters if only for them to make some more money, but the food we had was really good, plenty of it and loads of nice veg with it. I really can fault it, and for the groupon price we paid, I almost felt guilty! I'd definitely go back, and I hope they build in confidence and push the fact that they too are a fab option in clavering.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having booked a Groupon Offer at the Fox and Hounds, Clavering, Essex, we arrived to find a wonderfully architectural pub with exposed beams. Good beer selection (Doom Bar, Woodfordes Wherry and Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Our order was taken promptly with a nut roast and roast pork being ordered. When served there was plenty for us, with a selection of 4 veg as well, + extra gravy. Also, of note, special effort to offer veggie gravy with the nut roast. This is often overlooked.
Puddings were straight forward but perfectly acceptable and with 2 wines, 2 beers and the 2 courses each our bill came to less than £30. Couldn't fault anything and must make a special mention of our superb and lovely waitress. Always on hand and very pleasant, polite and efficient. We'll be returning.

1  Thank Jono F
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We visited this pub on a Groupon booking and were made very welcome , the food was very good and the service was quick and friendly.
I would book here again

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Visited here using a groupon.

The chap behind the bar seemed stressed and struggling.

Fortunately the waitress was a little calmer and coped with a busy Sunday food service, despite being the ONLY waitress serving.

The food was better than I expected and the roast potatoes were superb!!! I would definitely visit again - probably more likely to visit if the price of the roast dinner was a little less. £10 for a main course roast is top end in this area.