“Interesting”
Review of Rodrigues Winery

Rodrigues Winery
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The tour of the winery was very informative. We were not fortunate enough to have the winery in operation when we visited, but the guide made the walk through quite interesting. The wines we tasted were so good that we went home with three bottles!

2  Thank Eunice7

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I've been holding back on this review as I contacted the Winery to deal with the Groupon I bought for a winery tour for two. Since they have not decided to write back for whatever reason I'd like to take this opportunity with everyone my families experience.

The e-mail:

"On my families recent experience to your winery I was not impressed. Being from away we plan our vacations with a budget. This year we purchased several groupons to help with cost allowing us to do more for our buck.

Myself I have moved here within the last three years and am an avid supported of Rodrigues wines. I will even go so far as bring several bottles home via plane to New Brunswick for family members. When I seen the groupon tour for an exceptional price I bought it right away without hesitation so my family could indulge in something we so often enjoy together but in a cost saving fashion.

Yesterday, July 30th, we went to the winery to find out we had missed the last tour by an hour. The staff was apologetic and told us we would have to come back another day. However, I knew prior to the trip I had read the business hours as 8:30am-6pm from July 2nd-labour day and brought this to the attention of the workers. I could not remember where this had been read and the worked pointed out the business hours are listed on the Rodrigues Winery website as 9am-4:30pm.

Upon looking into my browsing history I found that the times I had read was actually posted in the Groupon. After brining this to the attention of the employee he was to honour the times I read. It was at this point while I was happy the time I read was being honored I am not happy with how it was dealt.

The mood of the staff changed quickly. The gentleman who originally was so kind to great me was no longer so pleased. With the guidance of fellow female employee who suggested calling someone else who had done nothing all day and probably just sat at home having a drink could come in to help. That the employee at the winery knees were bothering him. This was not dealt with in proper fashion as this should had never been spoken around me a tourist. After not being able to get ahold of the employee trying to be reached by phone the employees whose knees were hurting was going to provide the tour. At this point he seemed very unfriendly and no longer pleasant. Even if the tour would have taken place at this moment I do not think it would have been enjoyable solely base on his current mood. Unfortunately the door to the winery was locked and the tour could not happen. Again, I am thankful the workers were willing to honour the hours posted but am not impressed with how it was dealt with and the mannerism of this gentleman. I fully understand that after a longs day of work the last thing you want to deal with is another bunch of tourist. With that being said I'd also like to point out tourist pay your bills by coming to the winery and taking tours that despite the long day you've had and the fact you're tired fake it by putting a smile on your face and behaving with pleasantry.

I have learnt from this experience that should not depend solely on the Groupon information but should also read the current website or call to make sure business hours are correct. However, due to being on vacation/tourist I assume the information provided on the Groupon to be valid.

Overall, I had my money returned via groupon since the winery should had been open according to those hours. However, my family and I are disappointed to not have had the tour, samples, bottle of wine to take home for the Groupons rate which expires today, July 31st, without the opportunity to return that way until the weekend. For as I stated we are enjoyers of your product and this comes to be a great disappointment. Furthermore wasted 2 hours of our time traveling which could had been spent whale watching, The Rooms, etc, as well as gas wasted for nothing.

Hope next year the correct hours are posted everywhere!"

While I am happy the tour guide was willing to honour the time I have read it disappoints the winery could not take the time to write me back. I also find it very discouraging to return to the winery of the staff once their mood changed.

I think this was a very unfortunate experience and do not feel as if others going for a regular tour will be misfortunate. Yet only will take partial blame as being on vacation I assumed that the times I see listed in one place, such as the Groupon, to be true and thus not have to also verify it with a website or phone call. I know now a days internet assess is rarely an issue but when on vacation I do not feel as if technology should be glued to me.

Best of lucks to others at their winery tour just be wary as to the hours of operation listed on the website and do not cross the staff!

2  Thank Mainlander_13
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Visited the winery on July 25th for a tour and wine tasting. The staff are very knowledgable about the process and the area. We were able to sample the wine, brandy and vodka. I would recommend either the black current or raspberry wines. It made for a nice day trip.

1  Thank melt83
Reviewed 16 July 2013

After reading other people's reviews below I am wondering if we are talking about the same place?? We stopped by here on the way back from the Cape of St. Mary's and I must say that it was not good- no tour for us- I guess it was almost closing time? If you have ever been to a winery before, this doesn't even compare. I also thought the wines were awful...I don't think I have ever said that before about wine!

There is no need to come all the way out here specifically for this.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Took my S.W.E.L.L. group out for a tour of the winery and we all had a great time. The winery is housed in a registered heritage structure of a cottage hospital which is quite evident as you enter the bulding.The tour was fantastic, learned a lot about berry wines and the berries they use. Our hosts were quite knowledgeable and very down to earth and friendly. Thier products are quite tasty and very enjoyable. So whether you are visiting Newfoundland or living here, it's definately a place to go.

1  Thank onthegoNL