“I felt at home”

Shelford Lodge
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“I felt at home”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've been in this lodge for 20 days and I felt at home!
The value for money is EXCELLENT!
The staff is super sympathetic, friendly, helpful and very professional.
Never lack anything and I'm very thankful for that.
I really appreciate everyone! ;)
BREAKFAST IS GREAT

Room Tip: Room nº6 was my for 20 days, awsome.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Booked this place as others in area were full - I wish I had looked further away.
There were shared facilities - the toilet had run out of paper and there were no hand drying machines or paper for hands either.
The shared shower room had dirty rug and was generally dated
The bed was lumpy although to be fair we were provided with a clean room although it was very dated.The bedding and towels were clean.
It was an old people home before and very little by way of improvement has taken place - I feel sorry for the poor souls who spent their last days here.
Its fine for a worker on a very tight budget but dont think about gaining any pleasure from staying here
The other people who have given this a poor rating have been fair
The proprietors seem friendly enough but this place needs a lot of hard effort and money to bring it up to standard.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DagenhamDave53

Travellers are raving about these Great Shelford hotels

Gainesville
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were satisfied. It is not the most glamorous of places having been converted from a nursing home or the like. The beds were comfortable and the shower worked well. We had trouble opening the windows (and it was a hot day), and the decor is an odd mixture. Some of it looked quite run down.
The breakfast was fine (more than just continental, it included boiled eggs). I really liked having all day access to cold and hot drinks in the dining area. The wifi worked very well.
We had a car - it is on the main road to Cambridge, and there was plenty of off-street parking. You can walk a bit there, but it is really neither city nor country (being not in the center of the village). We had a room billed as a twin, but it was really a family room (a double and a single bed). However for three it would have been a tight squeeze - there was not really room for much in the way of luggage.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Kent, England
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here with my toddler daughter in desperate escape from the Cambridge folk festival campsite which was far too noisy for us. After having had virtually no sleep the previous night I was so grateful to find a hotel reasonably nearby with a room available at the last minute. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, and although there didn't seem to be towels provided, I didn't mind - it was cheap, and we had been camping, after all! But be warned - don't stay here if you are looking for a romantic weekend away. It was a big step up from camping in torrential rain, but not really much more than a hostel - bring your own towels, shower gel, and in many of the rooms, accept that you'll have to share a bathroom. The toilet roll also ran out in one of the bathrooms - again, having been camping, I was prepared for this eventuality! Breakfast was fine, and overall it was lovely and quiet, and the price was low, so all good with me and my daughter. One more thing though - they seem to have a policy of not staffing reception - it is a bit odd. You have to phone them on arrival - so make sure your mobile phone has some charge on it (mine didn't, but a very kind American guest emerged from her room and helped me out!) so yes, I is a it strange, but ok if you know what to expect before you book.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here a couple of times now,rooms are clean and airy,being in an end room there is much more light entering the room as the rooms at the side are shaded by some high trees and shrubs.I take as i find and the people who run it are friendly even if their English is not %100 BTW they are Portuguese and if you engage them in conversation they will try their best to help. The dining room is very convenient with its microwave and tea/coffee machine which is free ,this is a bonus if you wish to heat up your own meals,i havent had a breakfast yet but it is included in the price.Done expect the Ritz but if you want a value stay in a pleasant surroundings near to Cambridge this is a good bet.Also the gardens if a bit untended are relaxing and peacefull.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
auckland
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Decided to stay here after reading various unflatering reviews of other places to stay in Cambridge but after my stay I have to say I am quite amazed at some of the other positive reviews of this establishment and wonder if some of these people actually stayed at the same place as me.The only other explanation is that others standards and expectations are totally different to mine.
I came here for a 2 night stay specifically to attend the Duxford spring airshow, Duxford being relatively close to Cambridge.For anyone wanting to go to a Duxford airshow it would mean a taxi fare unless one took a bus trip to town first and then another to the airfield, a pain to say the least.
As far as location to Cambridge is concerned it was a 25 minute bus trip from the railway station and the buses dont exactly go frequently. For anyone wanting accomodation central to Cambridge attractions this would not be a good choice.
I was booked for a single room and it certainly lived up to its name in this regard.Smallish would be an understatement. Bed was not at all comfortable[small even for a single] and you literally hit the wall if you rolled over. Light slab of a cover is all you got as a sheet etc.Sleep quality was accordingly not the best.Room was not cleaned or rubbish emptyed each day and the shared bathroom was only just bearable. Shower extremely small and toilet dirty -in fact leaking on one occasion . Totally unacceptable in a place for the public to stay. First and foremost toilet and bathroom cleanliness is a .prerequsite -period!!!
Breakfast was only just OK with not a great selection but also one of my pet hates is for the host to be continually hovering around near guest tables and the breakfast bar and this was the case here.The lady host was not especially welcoming or even friendly. In most B&B's the owners have organised breakfast and then left guests to their privacy as it should be.
Overall my impression was that this estabishment badly needs a major overhaul,even then its location would stand against it. Having stayed at 100's of hotels and B&B's over many years of travelling this one would be definitely be in my bottom 10%.

Room Tip: Not easy to assist here as the room I had was only just acceptable,on the top floor and I have nothi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank kiwiflyer65
ShelfordLodge, Manager at Shelford Lodge, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
We take every genuine complain very seriously, we do our best endeavor to rectify it and deal with the complaint as a high priority. We invite our potential guests to have a look at our statistics and majority of reviews where they could have a true reflection of the value that Shelford lodge stands for.

Unfortunately a small minority of guests have already made up their mind even before they place a foot in the lodge for various reasons ???????!!!!!!!!!!!
Baden
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Shelford Lodge is a convenient and nice B&B, very well situated when you intend visiting Cambridge. Very friendly welcome from the owner, making you feel really comfortable. Our room was simple but clean and functional. You get good quality at small budget price! My husband and I would certainly stay again at Shelford Lodge should we return to Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ibis Cambridge Central Station
Ayah Villa
Ayah Villa
#2 of 3 in Trumpington

Been to Shelford Lodge? Share your experiences!