“We thought the twin room was great!”

Old Rectory Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Staveley B&B and Inns
Torquay, United Kingdom
“We thought the twin room was great!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Owners very friendly and helpful. Breakfast lovely - and nice to be served in big old kitchen. Room was perfectly adequate for us, and we liked the fact it was in an annexe. We stayed in most of one day working and there was plenty of space - it didn't feel claustrophobic and was quiet. The shower room was small but fine. The whole place was really clean. Liked having the use of the kitchen area (no running water but a fridge and microwave and lots of plates, mugs, cutlery etc). A few complimentary extras like biscuits and milk were a nice touch. Beds very comfortable. Blinds on the velux windows were an ingenious and effective design (might have to copy that at home!). Poor internet signal in twin room and able to shower only at specific times due to electrics (6am-7am and 6pm-8pm). These were minor inconveniences to us. All in all, had a very good experience (and boy have we had some bad ones). Had a very good night's sleep before important interview - and got the job!

Room Tip: If you're wanting to use the wi-fi - choose a room in the main house.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Sincere folk doing a very good job of pulling their b&b biz up to a 3* Guest House. However their [nice] website ...like other ‘web write-ups... is currently seriously misleading and there are a few things you should note before booking.
• Only 3 of their 5 rooms are contained within the ‘historic Rectory’ (only a third of which is actually the B&B property anyway).
• Many idiosyncrasies apparent - not least in hospitality and furnishings, some of which need to be more thought through. e.g. One's reception ought be more welcome focused than take-money focused...
• Note: there is no dining room or lounge and you have to eat your (very good and well presented, a la carte) breakfast ‘community style’, all at a single table in a cramped Kitchen where many people’s breakfasts are being cooked
• Two rooms are across a shabby little outside yard in a purpose built annexe which looks like an old converted outhouse, (and so frankly ought to be considerably cheaper than the main house rooms which have MUCH much more to offer.(I find it hard to see how this annexe even got a 3* rating?).
We had the misfortune to have to stay in one...! Sorry guys – not a good experience for us at that price when there is such a variety of other accommodation offering good value for money nearby.

Room Tip: Suggest you only consider rooms in the main house. Avoid ‘our’ room 5 !!! …. This twin en suite roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AshleyTravelServices
Halifax England
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this b&b last night. I'd booked a twin room as I was staying with my 2.5 year old son . They couldn't supply a cot, so I brought my own (I later found they have a family room ???no cot ??which was not offered until I was leaving that night).
I arrived later than expected thanks to our food at a nearby pub ( the hobby horse)being a hour late. I was shown to the twin room in the attic, in a out buliding behind the main buliding . . It was a nice enough clean and tidy twin . It had 2 big old style , pre velux type windows .I asked if there was a blind or curtain for them. The female owner answered no(they were big , and prominent within the room). I told her that my son would be awake as soon as it was light at 5am. She was not happy with my point , and said she'd never had a complaint . And she'd stayed there her self. I said it was unacceptable . And that if it had stated this I would not have booked. She came across as though she thought I was being picky . And quite out of order. I asked if she had any window coverings in her room. Her reply was no . I asked if there were any in the entire establishment . Her reply .. No.. I was incredulous . I told her , I'd stayed many places in the uk and around the world , varying from 1, to 5 stars. And this was the first place with nothing to stop the early morning light.I said I had to leave . ( my son was now tired, crying and adding to my frustration seeing him like this ).I could nt book anywhere else as there was no 3G or wireless. But could not stay . On the way leaving , travel cot , My bags and my sons in towe, and holding his hand due to the back steps leading to the outhouse . I then came across the husband . He wasnt confrontational . But asked the problem . I told him . He said that maybe I should specify this before booking ..again I was almost speechless . He was actually being serious .. I thought wHats next? Specifying you'd like a bed and a duvet . The female owner then offered the family room( not mentioned before ) that had blinds in . I had to accept this . The blinds were nt exactly massively light excluding . But not too bad. She then told me the security light comes on at night and stays on all night . Again I thought maybe these people are scared of the dark . I took the room with no choice . It was neatand tidy , and well set out.
She failed to point out that there was a breakfast sheet with the options on in the room . And that needed filling in and leaving outside the room before retiring . I didnt get chance to see this as I put my son to bed and turned the ligts off immediately . And breakfast was 0730-0930. And you needed to put your dining time. Again something I've not encounted
Before . But rational I suppose , as not to waste food .I didnt see the sheet until morning . Upon leaving the breakfast room looked nice , and the food good ( as another couple were eating ). But I felt there would be zero chance of getting any thing in the hostile situation , and she offered nothing. So I left with a hungry son . And went to the nearby very reasonable and friendly morrissons .
So in short . Stay if you are fine with no curtains or blinds and are a v early riser

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Stuatlad
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Spacious room, comfortable bed. Good breakfast served in the kitchen. Book your breakfast time in advance if you have a strong preference, we had to slot in between other guests. Variety of tea and coffees in the room. Accommodation for single travelers. View of the old church from our bedroom.
The shower in our double bedroom was really small.
Steep stairs, no lift.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staveley
Ibis Chesterfield North
The Portland Hotel
The Portland Hotel
#4 of 15 in Chesterfield
Best Western Plus Mosborough Hall Hotel

Been to Old Rectory Guesthouse? Share your experiences!