“Excellent venue for family get together”

The Stables Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whalton
Price range: US$7 - US$37
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Booked large table for a midweek family celebration. Staff all very attentive and friendly. Nice country pub atmosphere. Food all well cooked and presented. Traditional fare and tasty. Only teency weeny criticism would be from me as a minority vegetarian who like many of the same ilk finds veggie lasagne and mushroom risotto a fairly boring option. Wish restaurants would make a little effort to pimp up the veggie menu as otherwise not a big draw to return soon despite the rest having a great choice of food for the normal folks. Otherwise nice place, good staff, and great atmosphere.

TheBeresfordArms14, Manager at The Stables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for all of your objective comments and compliments. I totally agree that it would be lovely to be able to offer more vegetarian options on our regular menu, but I'm afraid it's just not feasible for us, given the number of vegetarians we cater for. Sadly, in this economic climate, we have to be very careful about waste - given that we cook things fresh to order, so we have to choose dishes which can be constructed from items that we use on a regular basis - hence the reason why we have mushroom stroganoff and vegetable lasagne on at the moment. I can assure you that we regularly have this debate in house ! We do also stock vegetarian sausages for our baguette board, so you could have been offered these as an additional option as well as the nut roast we have for Sunday lunch. We also have creamy garlic mushrooms on our starter menu so again this could have been offered as an alternative for you. Please ask next time you're in if there's nothing on the menu that you fancy - our chefs are very accommodating when the kitchen is relatively quiet. We really appreciate you taking the time to write your review and look forward to welcoming you all again on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just had a chance to visit last Sunday since their move from the Waggon and we were not dissapointed.
The food here is cooked just as nicely as they used to do at the Waggon and there is no loss in the quality and taste of their carrots.Very few restuarants serve carrots that actualy taste like carrots and have the texture that can be obtained here.Great service and above all there was no blasting music so people could enjoy their meals in peace.
Our family companions that ate with us were very impressed and we all cleared our plates and had an enjoyable day out .
Above all I think the staff also enjoy their jobs and that rubs off onto the eating experience.
We will visit again.
Many Thanks.

1  Thank Gumblejum
TheBeresfordArms14, Manager at The Stables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

We LOVE it when our vegetables are mentioned ! Our chefs take great care in the ordering, preparation and cooking of the veg, so it's fantastic when customers notice as often their just seen as simply an accompaniment - so thank you very much for sharing your experience with everyone. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your recent visit and that you feel the quality of what you had has not diminished at all. Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I visited with a friend, around three weeks ago. It's taken me this long to write a review as it's difficult to find the words to sum up the experience.
The positives: Beautiful village; attractive building; good car parking facilities; friendly landlord; good quality food.
The disappointing: Only one draught lager - I think Carling. Others were available in bottles. A good German lager on draught would have been nice. Certainly a choice of draught lagers is what I'd expect in most pubs.
The bizarre: The young man who was our waiter.
Pleasant enough but over keen to interact with customers. When I arrived he was chatting with a group of ladies about star signs and his views on astrology. For several minutes. When he finally walked away, the ladies looked stunned; the looks on their faces expressing disbelief at his over familiarity.
When he came to take our order, he spotted a book which I had just been given as a gift. He took it upon himself, as he was taking our order, to comment on the subject matter of the book; advising me of his tastes in music (amongst other things). I listened politely and patiently until his (to me) valueless and inappropriate comments had finished. I had to ask him to bring me another drink to shut him up!
By the time we had finished our mains, we were the only diners in the restaurant. The waiter was 'being busy at the other end of the restaurant. Imagine my surprise when he suddenly joined in with our private conversation. Clearly he had been eavesdropping on our conversation throughout our lunch!
At this point, I cut him short, explaining that his views & opinions were of no consequence to either of us and that I felt his eavesdropping was incredibly rude and inappropriate. He mumbled an apology and left the dining room.
A lunchtime meeting with a long standing friend was, frankly, spoiled by this young man's lack of etiquette and professionalism.
He may well be a lovely chap but he really really needs to get a clue as to how to behave when he is on duty
I doubt that we will return.

4  Thank Colin B

What an interesting title - A "curate's egg" - something that is at least partly bad, but has some arguably redeeming features !! Let me try and deal with your comments as you mention them. With regards to the lager – we’ve just recently taken over at the Beresford, so we're at the stage where we're reviewing what we sell after our first few months of trading – we listen carefully to what customers say and this will help to inform any changes that we make. We are currently looking at the possibility of stocking another lager, but the majority of our customers are real ale drinkers, so this is why we currently only stock one. You're absolutely right - the building and the village of Whalton are certainly worth mentioning - a customer described it as idyllic, sitting outside in last week's summer sun, with a lovely cold glass of Pinot Grigio. And we’re very delighted to hear that you enjoyed our food. Your review didn't come as a total surprise as the member of staff you're referring to came and spoke to me after your visit and we had a lengthy chat about etiquette and when to interject and when not to as he took your comments on board and had the strength of character to realise that he had got it wrong. One of the things that most customers comment on is our friendliness and the majority enjoy a chat and some interaction, and indeed he is a very popular lad, so clearly on this occasion he misread the situation, though to be fair this was probably not assisted by the fact that your friend instigated conversation with him while you were at the toilet – giving him mixed messages. Our music system is not working at the moment, so when there aren’t many customers in, the place is extremely quiet, so unfortunately, it’s not difficult to overhear what people are saying. Whilst good, objective comments are always helpful to use in staff development, I did feel that your comment about his interaction with the other customers was a little odd, to say the least as the whole substance of your complaint was that you were hoping to give your friend your undivided attention and yet you seemed to spend a considerable amount of time observing him. I think it was also unfair that you inferred that his apology was insincere (He immediately apologised to you when you, as you say ‘cut him short’ and again when you came to pay your bill at the end) though that doesn’t come across in what you describe as ‘a mumbled apology’. Whilst we’re always unhappy when someone finds something to complain about, we’re satisfied that this was nothing more than a young lad misreading a situation and that a lesson has been learned.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We used to live in Newcastle and was visiting for the day last weekend, on a Sunday.

We used to be regulars at The Waggon Inn, where Brenda and John used to run a superb pub and restaurant - but they've moved, to a bigger, better place and The Beresford Arms is just stunning.

We went because we knew the quality that Brenda and team used to put out at The Waggon and we were definitely not disappointed.

The quality of the food was as good it has always been (at The Waggon).

The Sunday roasts, both the chicken and the beef were amazing and the desserts were too. Why would there be any change, when Brenda and John have taken the same team with them from The Waggon to The Beresford Arms. So really, it's excellent (which is what I have always thought about what Brenda and John deliver, both from a food perspective and also with the beverages. I used to be a publican and can keep a pint quite well (Or so I think) and so can John.

You will always receive a warm welcome, a good drink, excellent food and all at a price, which I/we think is very reasonable.

Give them a try - you won't be disappointed. If you are, I would be very surprised.

Isn't tripadvisor a great forum for people to share their experiences with others? We thoroughly appreciate customers taking the time out to write a review and are delighted that you enjoyed your meal once again with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you again if you're back in the area again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had heard that Whalton was a lovely village and that the Beresford Arms was worth trying. It was a lovely sunny evening and the village looked splendid. The Beresford Arms was clean and sparkling and apparently the landlords had recently departed the Waggon near Ponteland. We could see that a lot of hard work had made the inn a cosy venue which will become very popular. Our meal was good but unfortunately the meat was slightly overcooked but the sauces and vegetables were good and plentiful. The service was excellent and enthusiastic and the local draught beer was very good. .

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, though I'm sorry to hear you werent 100% happy with your meal. We do try to create a friendly atmosphere where people feel comfortable enough to let us know when something isn't completely to their satisfaction - we always ask customers if everything was alright - and that's because we GENUINELY want to know if it isn't - not just to pay you lipservice. We are fortunate enough to have staff in the kitchen who are really passionate about their food and how it's presented, though we all accept from time to time things can go wrong - it would be very helpful if the writer would contact me and give me more information, so that we can understand better what might have gone wrong. Getting a good reputation is hard work and we certainly aren't complacent enough to think that we can rest on our laurels ! We hope you will return again.