“Wonderful afternoon with my 4-year old” 5 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Wonderful afternoon with my 4-year old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

What a great experience for both me and my little girl. We saw a lamb being born and then were able to keep 'checking back' on its progress for the next couple of hours we were there. She had cuddles with a chick, duck and lamb and we went on the (free) tractor ride up to the fields where older lambs were frolicking around. Great views of the South Coast from up here too - we could see the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth.

I was very impressed with the whole set up, especially given that they are only open for a few weeks a year. There were many happy, helpful volunteers. There were plenty of loos and hand-washing stations. There were some food and drink options available, reasonably priced. I would say that planning for afternoon tea and cake would work well, but only plan an actual meal if you like burgers (these were freshly cooked and were being enjoyed by others but as a veggie I didn't try them).

Note that there is a wonderful little park in the middle of Slindon (100m away) that would suit younger kids if you need to break things up a bit or have a picnic. Wristbands at the farm mean you can come and go as you please during the day.

This was well worth the £5 entrance fee (cash only). I hope we can return every year.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jo P

Brighton
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fabulous find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

What a great place to go with the family. We took our 9 year old daughter and had a lovely, back to nature afternoon.
The staff all local volunteers were helpful and friendly, creating a great community atmosphere. It is a very small, family run farm, only open for the lambing season, which we loved!
There were lambs to stroke and watch being born, which was fascinating.
The children were allowed to hold baby chicks and ducks, which was a real highlight. The food stall was full of home made cakes and goodies, be prepared for a wait, but looked worth it, they were also selling burgers and all very reasonable priced, which makes such a change to see.
At £5 per person we thought it was good value, this included a tractor ride up onto the hills, despite having to queue it was worth the view.
All in all if you want a good back to nature day out you can't go wrong with gaston farm. The money they have rises for charity is very impressive. Thank you all for a good time.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lambing season for 5 weeks only”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were told about this by a friend and what a hidden little gem this is. Its only open for 5 weeks to the public during the lambing season and its well worth going with your little ones. the cost is £5 but all money raised goes to charity and they raised £24000 last year. My daughter is 9 and her favourite thing to do was to hold the baby chicks. They also have duckilings to hold. We saw a baby lamb being born right I front of our eyes and the shepherd got an orphan lamb and very cleverly disguised it to make it appear as if the sheep had just produced it (I know that sounds confusing but ask the volunteers there and they will let you know hows it done). The shepherd (also farmer) was very friendly and happy to answer any questions. I have to say how brilliant all the staff were there and so friendly. The tractor ride is included in the price although and donation is gratefully received as it all goes to an orphanage they raise money for. Food stall does get busy but I never heard any complaints. There seemed to be plenty of seating as well. This was a fabulous day out not only for my daughter but for us adults as well. There were all ages there so suitable for everyone. I believe they also open up for sheep shearing to the public in may so worth checking that out too. My thanks to all who were involved in this day and the poor shepherd really does need to catch up on his sleep once this is all done. This would get 10 stars from me if it were an option.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place to visit with the kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Went to Gaston for the first time and were so glad we did. Our three girls loved petting the orphan lambs and holding the chicks and ducklings. There were lots of pens to view the lambs and their mothers, and the staff were keen to tell you about the most recent births and answer questions from our inquisitive kids. We took a picnic but the hotdogs and burgers smelled great- nice loos for a farm and lots of places to wash little hands. There are many picnic benches and a park to let them run off extra energy. The entry price of £5 pp includes the tractor/trailer ride and all monies go to various charities, which are advertised in the barn.We arrived at 10am which meant we didn't queue for long for the tractor and as chicks have a rest 1-1.30pm our morning visit was well planned.Don't forget to take cash and be prepared there's a shop with fluffy lambs for sale!

Chichester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Barrrrilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Get down to Gaston Farm if you want to see lambing close up.
Everyone there is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the farm and it's livestock.
Very reasonably priced food all served with a smile.
Don't forget to go on the tractor ride where you will also get some local history thrown in by the driver.
If you want value for money, good old fashioned fresh air fun and see new life coming into the world, then Gaston Farm is a must

2 Thank Kezzie103