“Proprtietors that truly care!”
Review of The General Lounge Cafe - CLOSED

The General Lounge Cafe
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Moroccan industrial styled lounge, a little piece of "Brunswick Street" in McCrae, perfect for any occasion, we are friendly and welcome families. We serve wood fired pizza as well as a selection of world inspired Tapas. We have a selection of craft beers and local wines, we love making cocktails to order! We offer free live entertainment every Friday evening from 7.30pm and Sunday afternoons from 3pm. We also serve barista Cortado coffee. We recommend you book as to not miss out! Function inquiries welcomed. We are open for lunch and dinner 7 days per week during the Christmas school holidays, closed Christmas day.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Calling into McCrae General Pizzeria for a cuppa with a disabled young man this evening. We were met with caring, beautiful owners and their Chef equally as friendly. I am staggered with the marvelous service shown,keeping in mind I had only ordered 2 hot drinks.
The decor is beautiful and rustic. The open pizza oven which is a focal point, allows the freshest pizzas on your table within 10 minutes. My disabled friend was made to feel so special in by being a part of what was to be one of the finest pizzas I have had the pleasure of purchasing. This super-friendly experience will leave an indelible memory for my friend, whom left the pizzeria empowered and proud. For possibly the first time... I trust anyone wishing to purchase a beautiful meal, which I must add consists of other delicious options other than pizza. Trust me, try this terrific restaurant, you wont be disappointed!!

3  Thank Dale W

Reviewed 2 June 2014

McCrae is now known for is great restaurants and this one takes advantage of the others being booked out. Not a restaurant we would choose to go to but we had a gift voucher, and having had the last one dishonored by the same restaurant due to change of owners, we were determined to recoup some of our money. A beer, sav blanc and 3 mains was $105, so reasonable value ....porterhouse was good, linguini marinara ok, salt and pepper squid full of chilli which made it overly hot. Food was tasty and good quantity, however no Parmesan, cracked pepper or spoon offered with the pasta dish.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hadn't been here for nearly 12 months and was looking forward to Paella, now gone from the menu! We ordered a garlic pizza without cheese, when delivered the waitress said it was boring without cheese, despite that being what we wanted. My partner had the chicken and avocado gnocchi which had a strange taste and is now feeling very ill although left most of the chicken. It looked very grey. I had Marinara Linguini which was very bland and tasteless, added salt which helped marginally. No parmesan was offered to either of us. We had a bottle of local Pinot Grigio at $35- which can be purchased for at Dan Murphy for $12.90-. Needless to say the evening was very disappointing and we won't be returning to this restaurant.

1  Thank Robyn3352
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We went to here on a busy Saturday night in mid holiday season, as was pointed out to us by the staff on a number of occasions. We ordered our drinks fairly quickly but when we asked where the drinks were about 20 minutes later they had lost the order..... Again we ordered our food and when about 45 munites later we asked where our order was they had again lost the order.... Even when we re-ordered the food we it took another 40 minutes for the entree to arrive, no thought of rushing it through due to the error. Although they did appologise a number of times for the delay they did try to blame all the problems firstly on us for changing tables even though we did this before the food order was taken, and also on the fact they were busy, (don't you just hate it when a restaurant blames poor service on being busy)! Finally we did get some food and to be fair the quality was very good for 4 out of 5 of us, the lasagne was a bit dry. We had a long argument with the manager who made no offer of any compensation, but we did eventually get the wine knocked off the bill but only because we almost insited on it!

1  Thank PeteJennings2014
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My partner and I came here for dinner one night a few months back.

We were very pleasantly surprised!!

At the start it was a little awkward when we walked in as we were unsure if we were meant to be seated first or to go to the register and enquire about our reservation. Other than that the night was perfect.

I requested a table for 2 by the fire and that's exactly what we got.

I had a very delicious salmon pizza and my partner had the chicken parmigiana.
We were both very happy with our meals, friendly service and value.

We will definitely be back!

1  Thank DSPK93