“Not too shabby”
Review of Spread Eagle Inn

Spread Eagle Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Stourton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2013

After spending the day at Longleat, we decided on the way homt to Taunton to check a random village and discovered this little beauty!
The grounds and the location are stunning along with the inns building itself. There is some serious history here (for the buffs!)
Dinner was good and the guy behind the bar was friendly.
I had the belly pork which was superb. The other 3 in my party also had wonderful looking main coursed and they all said it was perfect.
The only let down for me was the Sticky Toffee Pudding the guy recommended. It was good but I have had better, I found the cake to be a little under cooked.
Would I go back here again - 100% yes!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steakandperoni
There are newer reviews for Spread Eagle Inn

Reviewed 8 August 2013

A recent trip to Stourhead which we visited for the first time. Lunch here at the Spread Eagle. I ordered a plougmans lunch and could have opened a shop with the quantity served. Ham and Cheese for an extra pound which had nothing to do with the amount. We took the cheese away and were eating it for a week

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We often visit Stourhead and today we thought that we would try the Spread Eagle as it was quiet. The menu was unimaginative and to be honest the children's menu was more appealing. We ordered sandwiches, children's sausage and chips and children's meatballs and pasta. The children's meals came with drinks but they were served in shorts glasses so did not suffice. The sausage and chips was reasonable with decent looking sausages but the meatball pasta came out with cheddar cheese on ! I have two gripes about this, firstly cheddar does not go on pasta dishes and secondly the child who it was for does not eat cheese. The sandwiches were nice but a little costly at £7.95.
What really spoilt it for me was the tea which tasted of nothing. When I mentioned this to a kind of manager woman she did not bat an eyelid let alone apologise. I went next door to the National Trust snack place and they supplied me with a decent tea bag as that was the only way I was going to get a decent cuppa. I then took the tea bag into the Spread Eagle and made my tea with it.
The staff in this establishment did not seem to be interested in the customers other than to take money and put food on tables. They were not at all bothered that a customer had a problem and nobody tried to interest us in a second course so we left. It is possible to buy sandwiches at the National Trust kiosk next door and to use the same outdoor tables so we shall do this next time. If you are wondering, there are plenty of other inns in the area so no need to eat here if you do not wish to.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Squawky1
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is a comfortable, low-key place. It's an old inn, after all. The food is quite good, (my wife's duck was wonderful) and the service was friendly and helpful. I do not eat meat (gout), and the chef managed to convert several meat dishes to versions based on field mushrooms. That's a bit above and beyond, and the mushrooms were wonderful. All I had to do was ask. And this is the great thing about the Spread Eagle -- the staff clearly want you to enjoy your stay.

The rooms are what one would expect in an ancient inn -- quirky, comfortable, and definitely not Holiday Inn. The rooms are upstairs, above the pub and restaurant. So, there is some chance you might hear revelry at times. It's part of the ambience of the place, and it's something to enjoy.

All in all, we'd recommend the Spread Eagle Inn highly. We will probably return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The location and concept of this hotel are truly unique. Being able to walk through the incredible park of Stourhead Castle after the regular visitors are gone is a wonderful privilege. Contrary to some reviewers below, we found service very friendly. Guests should of course appreciate that they are staying at an Inn, not at a five-star hotel. For all these reasons, I wholeheartedly recommend the Spread Eagle Inn. I should imagine that there are few hotels in Wiltshire that can match this one for sheer beauty and tranquility.

The food at the restaurant, I cannot comment that much but I must mention that my Cornish mussels were overcooked to the point of being almost inedible. Maybe a one-time slip-up of the chef. Rather underwhelmed also by the wine list, but that is of course a problem with so many UK restaurants. So if the weather allows, I would recommend to take instead a picnic basket (you can get them prepared by the hotel - another great touch even though I cannot comment on the quality) and have your dinner in the park.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Qroe
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Sat waiting to be served with coffee in the evening ( 6pm ) noted the waitess put out the baskets of bread on the tables but evening dinner does not start untill 7pm , the bar area is all open so would it not be better to wait untill the customers arrive before you put them out .......an hour on the table surely they will be getting hard !!

Also the tall bar waitor was so misserable , looked as though he really does not want to be working there ...........
This used to be a very nice and pleasant place to eat but would think again before going back , its such a shame .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank billy031
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Many properties claim they are unique. Well, the Spread Eagle Inn is. Just footsteps from the picturesque 18th-century Stourhead Gardens, it offers the perasive charm of time long gone by. Yet for us, two jetlagged, tired Yanks just arriving from Heathrow, the welcome could not have been warmer or more professional. And this attitude continued throughout our two-day stay. Meals were excellent and location good for exploring Dorset and Wiltshire. Most of all, guests have free access to the gardens at all hours; the setting is especially appealing near dusk and early in the morning. And all of the day trippers depRt. It is truly magical then.

Room Tip: Note above property has no pool or fitness center and were expected.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Schmotterj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourton
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 7 in Wincanton
Castleton House
Castleton House
#1 of 2 in Mere

Been to Spread Eagle Inn? Share your experiences!