Spread Eagle Inn
Agoda.com
The Crown Inn(Marnhull)
US$124
Toprooms.com
Premier Inn Frome Hotel(Frome)(Great Value!)
US$119
PremierInn.com
All reviewsstourhead gardensspread eaglenational trust propertysea basslovely lunchpeasroaring fireducklovely pubhotel guestslarge roomsunday lunchovernight staythree nightsold buildingmid weekcar park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Out of public opening hours, this inn gives you the opportunity to pretend you are lord of all you survey. We spent the evening in the grounds of Stourhead viewing Perseid meteors after a satisfying meal with good wine. In the morning mists no sound but wildfowl. Comfy and clean bed and very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Romy25
Reviewed 14 August 2013

After spending the day at Longleat, we decided on the way homt to Taunton to check a random village and discovered this little beauty!
The grounds and the location are stunning along with the inns building itself. There is some serious history here (for the buffs!)
Dinner was good and the guy behind the bar was friendly.
I had the belly pork which was superb. The other 3 in my party also had wonderful looking main coursed and they all said it was perfect.
The only let down for me was the Sticky Toffee Pudding the guy recommended. It was good but I have had better, I found the cake to be a little under cooked.
Would I go back here again - 100% yes!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steakandperoni
Reviewed 8 August 2013

A recent trip to Stourhead which we visited for the first time. Lunch here at the Spread Eagle. I ordered a plougmans lunch and could have opened a shop with the quantity served. Ham and Cheese for an extra pound which had nothing to do with the amount. We took the cheese away and were eating it for a week

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We often visit Stourhead and today we thought that we would try the Spread Eagle as it was quiet. The menu was unimaginative and to be honest the children's menu was more appealing. We ordered sandwiches, children's sausage and chips and children's meatballs and pasta. The children's meals came with drinks but they were served in shorts glasses so did not suffice. The sausage and chips was reasonable with decent looking sausages but the meatball pasta came out with cheddar cheese on ! I have two gripes about this, firstly cheddar does not go on pasta dishes and secondly the child who it was for does not eat cheese. The sandwiches were nice but a little costly at £7.95.
What really spoilt it for me was the tea which tasted of nothing. When I mentioned this to a kind of manager woman she did not bat an eyelid let alone apologise. I went next door to the National Trust snack place and they supplied me with a decent tea bag as that was the only way I was going to get a decent cuppa. I then took the tea bag into the Spread Eagle and made my tea with it.
The staff in this establishment did not seem to be interested in the customers other than to take money and put food on tables. They were not at all bothered that a customer had a problem and nobody tried to interest us in a second course so we left. It is possible to buy sandwiches at the National Trust kiosk next door and to use the same outdoor tables so we shall do this next time. If you are wondering, there are plenty of other inns in the area so no need to eat here if you do not wish to.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Squawky1
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is a comfortable, low-key place. It's an old inn, after all. The food is quite good, (my wife's duck was wonderful) and the service was friendly and helpful. I do not eat meat (gout), and the chef managed to convert several meat dishes to versions based on field mushrooms. That's a bit above and beyond, and the mushrooms were wonderful. All I had to do was ask. And this is the great thing about the Spread Eagle -- the staff clearly want you to enjoy your stay.

The rooms are what one would expect in an ancient inn -- quirky, comfortable, and definitely not Holiday Inn. The rooms are upstairs, above the pub and restaurant. So, there is some chance you might hear revelry at times. It's part of the ambience of the place, and it's something to enjoy.

All in all, we'd recommend the Spread Eagle Inn highly. We will probably return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple