“Can't wait to go back”
Outdoor dining and lounging deck on the surfside in your one bedroom beach house for 2 people!
Your Private Romantic Bahama Beach House for 2 on the Atlantic Ocean in Governor's Harbour Eleuthera Your shaded beachfront oceanfront deck on your pink sand Atlantic Ocean Eleuthera Bahama beach house
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Escape - but have HDTV w/Netflix/Cell phone/Wifi  in your tranquil beachfront ocean retreat for 2!
Living Room with comfy day beds for reading or  napping to the sounds of the surf outside your door!
Contemplate life over coffee in the morning looking out at the spectacular ocean/beach awaiting you!
Interior Dining Room and Kitchen with Cement Countertop & all Essentials for Island Beachfront Life!
Beachfront Kitchen/Indoor dining in your private pink sand beach one bedroom vacation rental for 2!
Guests at home in the kitchen in their oceanfront beachfront one bedroom beach house for 2 people!
Peaceful sleep to the sounds of the surf, awake in your king size pillow top egyptian cotton sheets!
Large surf view glass block/fish tiled shower/bath with on demand hot water in one bedroom for 2!
Your Bahamas Beachfront House on Pink Sand on the Atlantic Ocean Eleuthera Island Governor's Harbour
Swim at your beach, relax in your pulapa, watch for dolphins, turtles, ospreys and enjoy Eleuthera!
Barefoot destination beach wedding at tranquil Cayo Loco beach with sun, pink sand, sea, champagne!
A floral heart from the garden for our honeymooners!
Fishing for dinner at Cayo Loco on your pink sand private Atlantic ocean beach house......mmmm good!
Unsurpassed endless natural beauty abounds on the Island of Eleuthera which means freedom in greek!
Starfish just relaxing at the bottom of the sea on the beautiful Island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas!
A rainbow at the end of your tranquil beach at Cayo Loco vacation rental one bedroom for two people!
Guest in beach pulapa at oceanfront beachfront one bedroom vacation rental beach house for 2 people!
Rainbow over the beachfront in oceanfront beachfront one bedroom beach vacation house for 2 people!
Flowers from the garden for our honeymoon couples!
Guest enjoying cocktails on day bed beachfront one bedroom vacation rental beach house for 2 people!
Paddle Board on the beach at Cayo Loco. Paddle Boards, surf boards and kayaks included in your stay!
Grouper caught on your beach Cayo Loco One bedroom oceanfront vacation rental house for two people!
The 'Conch Salad Man' will make you, fresh as you wait, conch salad at Governor's Harbour Fish Fry!
Upper surf shack at Surfer's Beach, world class surf spot, in Gregory Town, Eleuthera Island Bahamas
Pig Roast in March is sure to please everyone as all the locals and  tourists enjoy the beach feast!
Morning sunrise from your balcony on your private pink sand Atlantic Ocean island beach house for 2!
Junior Junkanoo horn players show off their brightly colored hand made costumes in the competition!
Heating up the steel drums around the fire in preparation for Junkanoo, yearly cultural competition!
Many excellent scuba diving spots on Eleuthera explored & experienced with Ocean Fox Cotton Bay!
This grouper followed us around while we were scuba diving with Oceanfox Cotton Bay - just great!
Enjoy open mic/jam/music & dancing available on the island close to Cayo Loco Beach House Eleuthera!
Pineapple Festival in June and Tripoli's famous daquiris, leaded or unleaded, are not to be missed!
Steel drummers at Junior Junkanoo, an event not to be missed with great music, food and lots of fun!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reston, Virginia
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

I don't write a lot of reviews, but had to for Cayo Loco! Since this was our first trip to Eleuthera, my husband and I decided to book a place mid-island so that we could explore both North and South. The best part was booking one of the Cayo Loco cottages. Situated on a gorgeous beach with an amazing view, the cottage was so comfortable and had many extras that made our trip relaxing and fun.

Upon booking, the owners provided lots of helpful info about the island, things to do, places to shop and eat, so we felt well prepared. We loved the beach towels, a small cooler that we used for day trips/picnics and picking up frozen groceries, the water system which saved us from buying bottled water all week, chaise lounges and shade on the beach, a grill which also served as a fun happy hour spot in the late day sun, a safe for valuables and use of a local cell phone for making reservations, checking flights, etc. We ventured out to Lighthouse Beach (see other Trip Advisor reviews) and let me tell you, we felt a lot better on that coral road knowing there was a way to call someone if we got stuck. (Side note--Definitely go to Lighthouse Beach--so worth the trip. If you have an SUV, you will be fine!). We also snorkeled right off of the beach in front of the cottage and hubby caught a few fish : )

It really was painful to leave. We would love to return with friends and rent both cottages (close by but still very private). Our location was only a five minute drive from Governor's Harbor (groceries, beer, restaurants and the famous Friday Night Fish Fry) and many beaches to explore. The people are so friendly here, and the island is a great place to visit. We highly recommend if you want a romantic, relaxing, low stress get-away.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view of the beach was amazing; extras provided by the owners really make this cottage special.
Liked least: Hard to say! We did have some bug bites when there was no ocean breeze, but that is the tropics. Just be ready with bug spray.
Friends getaway
22 Apr 2014
Thanks for the great review and I am so pleased that we were able to make your Eleuthera experience all that we hoped! Thanks also for letting us know that 'what we do' is worth it for our guests as you just never know for sure!

We look forward to your return with your friends for another great vacation at Cayo Loco!
Connie C
Millarville, Canada
“Heaven on earth!!!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 for a stay in January 2014
people found this review helpful

Absolutely perfect holiday rental: romantic, relaxing, peaceful. The house is stunning, and the owners are lovely!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house, the beach...
Liked least: The bugs! Bring Deep Woods Off and long sleeves/pants!
19 Jan 2014
Thank you for the excellent review! We strive to give an unsurpassed island experience and we are so happy you appreciated that! And again thank you for taking such great care of our little slice of tropical paradise! Please come back soon as Cayo Loco Eleuthera Bahamas is always waiting for you with plenty of conch shells as well!
JeffAndHe...
Florida
“Best Eleuthera Trip Yet!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

I have been vacationing on Eleuthera several times a year for the last four years and love the island. This property was top notch. This place exceeded my expectations with it's beauty, the comfort of the accommodation, and the warmth of the owners. I had several questions during booking due to a review I saw on this site, and boy am I glad I did not listen to that review, and I asked the owner. You are sometimes going to get places that are not as advertised (or as photographed, like the review said). However, upon staying here, I saw first-hand that even professional photographs cannot do justice to this place. Due to these facts, I felt it important that I write a synopsis addressing this other review as I have first-hand experience and maybe it will assist others who may be in a similar position as I was. I would hope you can make the right decision and stay at this lovely home as I am glad I did. I have put my points in bullet format so it is easy to get through:

- First off, it's not possible to make up your own reviews as TripAdvisor is very stringent on their reviews and verifies all of them.

- So, I was quite curious about this door that wouldn't open... I got the story. At the home owner's expense, a service man was flown in from Nassau to fix the doors. The doors were custom-built hurricane doors so when the guy flew in to fix them, he was turned away by the guests. In my opinion, that revokes your right to complain about it.

- The property is beautifully landscaped to give privacy and both porches have permanent privacy louvres as to further achieve this.

- Guest complained that the salt in the house was low. The picture of this is made on the last day of a 14-day stay. Of course there is nothing left as they used it all. Owners never claimed to me they would supply coffee or any condiments of any kind so we were thrilled there was even a formidable selection and really just a bonus so that comment is just something to laugh at.

- What these people were doing messing with the water filter is beyond me and also highly entertaining as these are charcoal filters and are black to begin with. Also, the home has RO water system and ALL water is filtered I found out (sorry Alan, I should have told you why I was asking) so this comment is really just scratching at nothing.

-The shark comment is interesting since I only saw one shark about four foot and it was more afraid of me than I was of it. Pretty petty to use this against the owners as it's beyond their control, but nice of them to at least mention being cautious which is common sense. And besides, use your brain… any house on the water will have the same amount of sharks and the sharks close to shore in the Bahamas are docile so don’t sensationalize this.

- Why say how sweet and professional Maureen is and then say the opposite later on. Something isn't adding up with this review and I am so thankful ended up staying at this home. I would have kicked myself for missing out on this place.

- Also, they may have new furniture since that review but I found the day beds and mattress comfortable. This is different for each person so don't make a decision based on that.

As for "find a better place to stay..." Alan's right, I haven't stayed anywhere nicer and am looking forward to my next trip. Thank you both again for making the difference and giving us great service and our full privacy. It was great to know you were there if we needed as on a quiet island I know how hard it is if something goes wrong. Looking forward to seeing you in the coming months.

30 Oct 2013
You were great guests and we were thrilled to have you choose Cayo Loco as your home on Eleuthera. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to clarify so honestly your observations regarding Cayo Loco. We strive to give our guests the best possible Eleuthera experience. We look forward to your return and thank you again for taking such great care of our slice of paradise. Cayo Loco - it's not for everyone!
marianne...
Antwerp, Belgium
“a dream came true ....”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

Cayo Loco was for us a dream, beautiful pink beach, very nice and clean house, very private, maureen and alan did the best to give us the perfect vacation
the beach house was very cosy and had everything we needed

eleuthera is a very warm island, the locals give you the best time ever, beautiful beaches , what can i say more ....we go again to Cayo Loco in Eastern ........

Friends getaway
30 Aug 2013
It was such a pleasure to have you spend three weeks with us and get to know you both. We are thrilled that you have already booked a return visit at Easter and look forward to you experiencing more of Eleuthera! Thank you for taking such great care of our house and valuing our special slice of paradise! You were wonderful guests!
Carolyn09
Bahamas
“So happy we found this!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

Perfect in every way! Almost don't want to tell people about it, as we hope to return often. The location is even prettier than the photos, as was the cottage. Lovely caretakers, convenient to town, stunning beach and very well equipped (don't listen to the negative review).

We rented an SUV from Big E, and had a great time exploring the island. The book provided by the owners and the booking package were extremely useful, helping us find the car rental, best beaches and restaurant recommendations. Glass window bridge is worth the drive!

Liked best: The views
Liked least: Nothing to complain about :-)
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Older travelers
18 Jun 2013
We agree - we only want very special guests at Cayo Loco!! We appreciate the care you gave to our little 'slice of paradise' and look forward to you returning often. You will always be welcome at Cayo Loco.
Lonz55
Indianapolis
“9 perfect nights”
Reviewed 28 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

My wife & I vacationed this year at Cayo Loco on Eleuthera. We have been to many Islands, and normally stay in an upscale resort. This year my wife ran across Cayo Loco while searching the web for a spot to visit. The photos and description pull you in, and the reviews were generally awesome. To us, the description, photos and reviews were understated. We had hoped for a very laid back, private beach front vacation... Cayo Loco exceeded our expectations. The little house was very cool, very clean, and very private. Everything was in great shape an well thought out. The views are beautiful, and there was all of the pink sand beach you could want, and without people around. We were able to completely relax & unwind. Alan & Maureen (the owners) were very cool & laid back. They provided a binder filled with great Island information, showed us how things worked, and allowed us our privacy.
We spent a lot of time enjoying the water, walking the beach, and just "being". We visited the Sky Club for lunch a few times, and visited the ruins, of Club Med, had a great afternoon at the Beach club,and spent some time at Twin Coves with a fly rod. We did visit Harbor Island and while nice, it was more typically tourist. ( We just wanted to get back to Cayo Loco to chill.)
Alan & Maureen gave us the names of Jeremy and Anna. They are a delightful local couple tha came to our place and prepared a "typical Eleutheran Sunday dinner" The food was fresh ( Lobster, Grouper, Conch fritters and more) and GREAT. They were a lot of fun, and cleaned up before they left. We had lots of left-overs. It was well worth the price, which was more than reasonable.
One word about the beaches... These beaches are natural. As you leave the Cayo Loco property you will encounter items that have floated up on the beach during high tides. There was a great deal of plastic & lots of items thrown from ships. Don't let that bother you. After a walk or two you can find some interesting items, and some "beach sculpture" opportunities. These beaches are still beautiful, with clear blue water and pink sand.
If you are looking to reduce blood pressure, take off your watch, shut off your cell phone and email and exchange your normal world for a relaxing Island paradise, then this is for you. As fo ranyone that may have anything negative to say about Eleuthera, or Cayo Loco all I can say is... Some people shouldn't travel! We will return for a longer stay next time.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The feeling it produced.
Liked least: That I had to leave
Your age range 50-64
28 May 2013
What a lovely review and as I recall you both became "human beings" meaning you got to 'just be'! So great to have you both and Sue the Penzeys Spices are absolutely superb. How thoughtful of you! Alan is hooked on the cinnamon. The beach awaits your return as do we! Hope the grandkids left you some peace after their visit!
WorldTrav...
Vancouver, Canada
“Not what we expected...................”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 for a stay in March 2013
people found this review helpful

My husband and I stayed at Cayo Loco for 14 days in mid-March 2013 and the reason we chose this house rental was because of its isolated beautiful location and the photos that showed good accommodation with no houses or neighbours nearby. We will try to give a fair and balanced review of our experience at Cayo Loco as follows but we have also uploaded two videos online which you can also review if you don’t want to read this fairly detailed review.

The Good

The view from the cottage is unbelievably beautiful and makes it all worthwhile. Maureen who is one of the owners is a lovely lady, very professional, kind and easy to talk to. The bathroom in the house is very nicely done and is well supplied with soap, shampoo, suntan lotion etc. Eleuthera is a wonderful place to visit that is unique in being unspoilt by the cruise-ship industry and relatively undeveloped – probably unchanged for the last 20 to 30 years. Wonderful people and a great nature experience.

The Bad

The House

Upon our arrival we were shocked to discover that there is a second Cayo Loco house less than 100 ft from our house. At no time during our booking process were we told that there were two cottages right next to each other and there were certainly no photos on the web showing two houses when we booked in early 2012. As our videos show, you have to walk right past the front deck of the other house to get to the beach and you have to say hello to the neighbours every day.

During our stay we discovered that the owners Alan and Maureen had started a new website mentioning “houses” but the photos and information on Tripadvisor and Flipkey were the same and they made no mention of a second house and their close proximity to each other. Despite querying with Maureen, that she still showed our house available for rent during the period we had already booked, she still did not tell us about the additional house right next door and we found this to be very deceptive of her. They have since changed some of their listings from “house” to “houses” but make no mention of the other house in their text – again, very deceptive.

The owners’ photos of Cayo Loco are professionally taken with an ultra-wide angle lens to make the interior look very big and were taken when the house was first built. They are very misleading. The French doors are actually very narrow at 4ft wide and we could not open one half of the door during our entire stay. We therefore only had a 2ft wide French door to walk through and let the breeze in. We asked Alan, Maureen’s husband, on our second day of fourteen to take a look at it and open the other door. He said it had been broken like that for a year, no-one had complained and that it wouldn't be fixed during our visit because someone from Nassau had to come over to fix it. My husband said that this was very disappointing and Alan's immediate response was "Why don't you find a better place to stay!" (Actual quote). We were quite shocked at his unexpected, aggressive response as we had basically only just arrived for our vacation and we decided after that comment, to have nothing more to do with him. We would recommend that Alan take over the back-office duties such as cleaning etc. and only let Maureen handle the customers in future. (Our videos clearly show that you have to walk sideways through the door if you are carrying a drink in each hand…….which of course should be a common occurrence when you are on vacation !)
The house furniture is uncomfortable with hard day beds instead of a comfortable couch or chairs and after a few days we had back ache from the hard bed in the bedroom. The extensive pantry as advertised was also misleading with almost-finished spice bottles and a bottle of olive oil with about an inch left at the bottom. There was no cooking foil and we had to go to the grocery store to buy everything we needed including the salt which was finished and which should be a basic in any pantry. While we are on the topic of meals, our favourite restaurants on Eleuthera were the Rainbow Inn, The Buccaneer Club, Pammi's Place and The Laughing Lizard.

We had stomach problems the whole time we were there but we thought that this was due to the local cuisine. We only discovered at the end of our stay – have a look at the photos/video - that the water filter on the water line supplying the house probably hasn’t been changed in a number of years. Water filters should be changed regularly and should never reach the dark, green muddy state that you can see in the photos/video. We can only assume that this was the cause of the stomach problems during our stay.

Our flight to Eleuthera was delayed for a few hours and after three flights and connections from Canada we were exhausted when we finally arrived. Alan arranged to meet us at the gate and upon arrival at Cayo Loco, his first words when greeting us were not it is nice to meet you, but "What took you so long ! " and he appeared to be irritated. In spite of us being tired he then insisted upon running through the rules and regulations of the house for 20 minutes although they were written down in a folder on the coffee table. We also did not need to receive instructions on how to use a TV remote control.

The house was cleaned after the first week of our stay and Maureen did an excellent job. Our only complaint is that not once during our 14 day stay were the windows ever cleaned. We have our own ocean-front property and with the daily wind and ocean spray, we know that the windows need cleaning every 3-4 days and we were disappointed that they weren’t cleaned once during the 14 days. We did not contact them about this as we wanted nothing further to do with Alan because of his attitude.

Eleuthera

We have only great things to say about both Eleuthera and its people. This is not the place to go for bright lights and a fantastic night-club scene but if you are into the beauty of nature and the ocean scenery, then this is the place for you. A warning however concerning sharks – No-one including the owners Maureen and Alan or the Locals wanted to talk about it but there are a LOT of sharks around here. While we were there, we saw sharks from our deck on 4 occasions, 3 were in the 3-4 foot range and one was about 6 feet passing right through the swimming area in front of the house about 4 feet from the sand. Other visitors we spoke to on the beach also had shark sightings in the same area. So be very careful when swimming and take the warnings/advice in the house rules manual concerning sharks, very seriously. On one occasion we saw a shark about 15 minutes after we got out of the water in exactly the same spot we were swimming, in the middle of the day. You can swim – Just be careful!

Final Thoughts

Alan’s comments to “Find a better place to stay!” prompted us to do some research about other rentals while we were there and we discovered other similar but better rentals on exactly the same beach at similar rates. This forum’s guidelines do not allow us to advertise these rentals by name but we suggest you do the same research online.

We would not rent at Cayo Loco again. Although the problems with the door and the water are a major concern, we feel the false advertising and basic dishonesty to be the major issue with this rental.

Please have a look at our videos and photos online and form your own opinions.

By the way, we found it very strange that every review posted was so positive about Cayo Loco and did not mention any of the problems that we found. We had a look at many previous reviews and we found it amazing that many previous renters took the time and effort to post the exact same very positive reviews on multiple travel forums.

Liked best: Location and views
Liked least: Closeness to neighbours and poor maintenance
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing