“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Rookery Manor

Rookery Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edingworth
Reviewed 9 May 2011

After reading some recent reviews I was a bit worried, but had a really lovely one night stay, meal and breakfast with a Groupon deal.

The room was small but well proportioned, really clean and had a nice cottage like feel.

The stand out feature of our stay though was the quality of the evening meal. The chicken main course was honestly one of the best main courses I have had in years and the starter and main were both great too.
Breakfast was also good.

The only points that I would say could have been improved were the service at dinner, it was ok but if the waitress was a little more attentive it would have felt better, for example, I would expect the waitress to pour our wine and water. Also the hotel could do with a more defined bar area, we had a drink but the bar seemed more for staff to get drinks at meal times than any other times.

Overall we had a really good time and would definitely go back, having a glass of wine in those grounds is what a good mini break is made of.

• Stayed: May 2011
RookeryManor, Manager at Rookery Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I would just like to thank you about the comments about our lounge bar, we are aware since moving our Reception area to the hub of the site it has taken a large proportion of our lounge away; therefore we are in teh process of applying for planning permission to extend the area.
I will also pass on your comments to our Head Chef and his team.
We are always trying to improve our servicesso will be discussing your concerns with our Banqueting Manager.
We hope you do return and await your future comments.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

My friend Jane and i visited Rookery Manor today using our Groupon voucher and were delighted with our experience - yes the approach to the spa may be a little clinical but I am guessing that is because it is so new and the landscaping needs a little time to develop in keeping with the rest of the mature garden, however when inside the spa was clean and modern and the staff were very friendly and attentive. We were greeted by Sarah who did an excelllent job of showing us around and looked after us throughout the day - we did find it a little odd that we were asked to remove our shoes immediately on entry - may we suggest the offer of little slipper?
Jane used the hydropool whilst I lounged around, we both had a go on the "jiggling" machine which seemed intent on high lighting every wobble but was good fun.
Lunch was served in the main body of the hotel so we had a little stroll around the grounds on the way - it certainly looks a lovely place for a wedding with many features for wedding photos. Our lunch was served promptly and was very tasty - we only opted for panini and a sandwich but both came well presented and were very tasty, our waiter Colin made us feel welcome and talked us through the menu.
Atfter lunch we had our turn with the garra fish followed by a manicure and pedicure - our beauticians Lisa & Milly were very thorough ,friendly and made us feel like valued customers.
All in all we felt we had a very good value day out with a bit of pampering and the novelty of the fish pedicure. Yes the changing rooms are small but the spa is not huge so you are never going to get a huge number of people in there. We would happily come again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
RookeryManor, Manager at Rookery Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Thank you kindly for your review, it is a pleasure to read your comments.
We have invested in spa shoes which are available for hire. We ask guests to remove shoes, is due to the floor colour and the area needs to be kept hygenically clean. Also, with guests going in and out to the garden it stops the spread of infection.
We are also pleased you enjoyed lunch, I will pass on your comments to Colin the waiter and the head Chef Alex.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Manor & the Retreat & Spa in the not too distant future.
Kind regards,
Nicky

Reviewed 7 May 2011

We used a Groupon voucher for our stay which I bought because the hotel picture and description looked idyllic. In reality "idyllic" is the very last word anyone with any taste would use to describe it! The room (which was supposed to be a double) was absolutely minute and the sharp angle of the eaves made it impossible to stand up straight in most of the limited space there was around the bed. It smelt musty. The window looked straight onto people eating in the restaurant and people who were staying at "Tin" (that was the name of the room opposite!) Yes, some clueless person had named all the rooms and had tacky plaques made and put on each door - "Paper", "Leather", "Wood", "Tin". Ours was named "Willow" which conjures up images of something rather tasteful and serene. Oh, the irony of it!!

The spa was the only thing that prevented our stay from being a complete write-off and we spent £130 there (a little on the pricey side for 2 massages).

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food was awful. I ordered the pork which turned out to be a wedge of fat swimming in single cream - it was inedible. My partner had sea bass which was served with an over done, motley looking jacket potato and some lettuce leaves. The wine was vinegary. The ambience was non existent. We couldn't wait to get home. We got up early the next morning and left.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Caroltwocoats

Thank you for your response. I am very surprised at your comments regarding the rooms, we have received an excellent award from AA! We host over 200 weddings a year plus over 100 conference events therefore our hotel is at 85%-90% capacity most of the year and accommodation is one of the very few things guests comment on in a negative way! Our housekeeping team pride themselves on the standards of the rooms! The hotel is based around a 16th century manor house which was once a nunnery; the coach house and other bedrooms are delightful created from farm buildings; so if expecting new you will be disappointed but all rooms are highly furnished and refurbished at least once a year.
Since we have taken on our new catering team, I am again surprised that your meal was not to your likely and can only stress that you should have brought this to the Duty Manager's attention who would have investigated this with the Head Chef!
Again, your comments will be investigated, and can only thank you for bringing your thoughts to our attention.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

Stayed here as part of the Groupon voucher and having read a number of reviews like the person before me I wasn't expecting too much but I was pleasantly surprised.

The staff on arrival were polite. We stayed in Room 1 - Paper which was clean and tidy. It was a little on the small side, but this didn't put us off at all, it had a cosy cottage feel to it. We were booked for dinner at 9pm and although there was a fair few people in there we didn't wait too long for our courses. Food was delicious, couldn't fault it at all.

We used the spa (hot tub and hydra pool), again after reading others complaints I wasn't holding my breath but the Spa is lovely. The decor is ultra modern and chic with GHDs in the changing rooms (ladies will know what I mean!). The lady at the spa reception was attentive and helpful.

After the success of spa and dinner I was waiting for a let down, but breakfast too was fine, lots of choice and enjoyable.

If you've read some of the 'horror' reviews I must say I am surprised because I/we had a lovely experience at Rooker Manor.

The groupon deal was brilliant value for money and if it comes up again for this place, I'll be returning!

p.s. Impressive gardens with loads of paths you can walk around and have a sit down on the many benches.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you kindly for your review; it is heartwarming to read your testimonial.
We take all comments seriously and will respond as fairly as possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Many thanks,

Nicky

Reviewed 6 May 2011

We bought a groupon voucher for a Garra Fish pedicure costing £45.00 each, to include a day pass for the spa, which at the time seemed reasonable.

The spa from the outside looks a bit like a motorway service station, quite modern and clean but not much character.

The fish treatment was amusing, but as you have to sit up on boxes with the fish tank beneath you are dangling your legs, which I found very uncomfortable. I also cant see any particular benefits, I would much prefer a 'human' pedicure.

There was very little else to warrant spending a day there, unless you wanted to spend lots more money on other treatments.

The pool area is small and very noisy when the pool jets are going, and if someone starts up the power plate too it's deafening. Its not very relaxing if you want to lie and read a book.

The outside hot tub area is very noisy as you can hear the traffic noise from the busy road, so again not a great place to relax.

Two small luke warm hot chocolates cost us £5.00.

All in all not a great experience and certainly not value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for bringing the comments to our attention!
I am very surprised you can hear the traffic from the Spa Garden, as this is very enclosed and the furthest point on the site from any noise pollutioin and set within a very tranquil setting.
The Garra Spa is a proven treatment world-wide, at least you have experienced this historical tratement and decided it is not for you, unfortunately not all treatments are suitable to everyone.
I am sorry you found the spa not to your taste, but as clearly stated the spa is not a leisure area it is a treatment centre with the benefit of wet facilities.
Again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 4 May 2011

I was on Groupon offer and read the reviews before I departed home. I didn't expect too much. However, what a surprise!

Everything was smoothly run from the moment I drove up the gate. The receptionist was pleasant and polite. The only downside was that the restaurant was quite full and we had to waited for slightly over 1 hour to get seated. That's not so much a problem as we had to feed our son first.

The meal was excellent. My wife and mother-in-law ordered the seabass, which turned out to be a whole fish. It was tasy and large portion. I had lamb and it was excellent. For the desserts, I had white chocolate cheese cake, which is just right and not oversweet. The staff were friendly and attentive.The breakfast was good as well, except that they ran out of pastry at very end.

The room was clean and good size, the shower was powerful. We stayed in room 18 and 23, which was facing the garden and the field. I put my son crawling on the lawn and can watch him from our window. The garden is well managed and maintained.

The traffice noise is unavoidable when outside, but certainly bearable. Inside, it's nothing at all during the night when we had the window closed. a very good sleep.

I didn't use the SPA facility.

I didn't expect too much but it turned out to be a nice surprise. all my family members loved it. I would certainly look into this hotel first when I travel to the west country. It's a shame that they don't run deal with Groupon anymore. I wish them well and run some other offers.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
RookeryManor, Manager at Rookery Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2011

Thank you kindly for your lovely review. Everything we do at Rookery Manor we do to the best of our ability; our staff are highly trained and every penny made gets invested back into the company to keep up the high standards. It is unfortunate that we received too many groupon guests; groupon where due to cap all our offers and failed to do so, which has impacted on the staff, environment and facilities. We have had our fingers burned, therefore won't be running a groupon offer for the foreseeable future.
We apologies that you were delayed being taken to your table but are pleased once seated you enjoyed your experience.
We would love to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Please note - I did not stay at this hotel so can not comment on the standard of rooms or breakfast.
My first experience of the Rookery Manor was trying to get through on the phone to make a reservation. I had left endless messages for someone to contact me to make and also to reconfirm a reservation. They finally called me back on the day of my visit after I had left my house. I visited this hotel yesterday for the day and had purchased a groupon voucher for a pedicure and day pass to the spa. It was our intention to spend most of the day at the hotel, I had read online about the restaurant and we thought we could make a nice day of it. When we arrived we were impressed by the grounds and thought they were well tended, we decided to visit the lounge and have a coffee before lunch. When we arrived the coffee machine was broken and they only had filter or instant coffee. I ordered a fruit tea which was stale and luke warm. We booked in for lunch, expecting traditional sunday lunch fayre, there was no hot food served. We were continually asked 'are you groupon?' which for lunch we were not. We all had a salad which was ok. There was no dessert options and I overheard some groupon customers being given pots of yoguart or a questionable fruit salad. We laughed it off and for 3 or us had only spent £25.00. We arrived at the Spa and it was quite busy, we were shown around and the host explained how things worked. We were asked to share a locker (3 or us???), the changing rooms were filthy, it was disgusting. There was no where to change unless you wanted to go in a toilet, there was wet tissue on the floor and hair everywhere. We arrived at 1330 and it was so dirty I would doubt it had been cleaned that day or they had been extremely busy. We had the Garra Rufa Fish Pedicure which was a novelty but didn't really do anything....fun and enjoyable but I doubt I will do it again. The treatment area was extremely cramped, we used all 3 tanks which were in the corner next to 2 pedicure chairs which were both being used. For the whole 30 minutes we had to sit through the chemical smell of the pedicures and we all had a headache afterwards. We were not offered a drink during our time in the Spa and some of the staff (not all) did not demonstrate a professional image you would expect of an establishment like this as they were talking amongst themselves about products they needed to order and other extremely inappropriate topics. The hot tub was broken and they hydrapool was too cold to go in.
I understand I had bought a discounted voucher (x3) but the purpose of this, to a clever organisation, is to attract new customers. This hotel clearly does not want new or repeat business, if they did the experience would be more exnjoyable. We regularly visit spa's and would have returned it it had not been such a bizarre disappointing experience.

My opinion is even if you have already bought your groupon voucher, don't bother! You will leave disappointed and feel ripped off even if you did pay a low price.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank knig
RookeryManor, Manager at Rookery Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

I must comment and say your opinion is fair we had a state of disasters which unfortunately were unavoidable!
The evening before your stay we had two break in's one into the restaurant which trashed the bar and which included our deluxe coffee machine and our second was int he spa, where our hot-tub was damaged (brand new which now needs to be replaced a £10,000 item becuase sadly the general public don't looka fter other people's property)!
I apologies that you were asked if you were groupon, the menu should be the same for all client's, those on a groupon visit should be given a groupon voucher.
I will be investigating the spa facilities, I was not on duty this weekend and will be reprimarding the staff on duty as this is not acceptable and will not happen again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edingworth
The Grand Atlantic Hotel
#2 of 28 in Weston-super-Mare
Smiths Hotel
Smiths Hotel
#12 of 28 in Weston-super-Mare

Been to Rookery Manor? Share your experiences!