“Nice, but not worthy of the 4 stars”
Review of Rookery Manor

Rookery Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edingworth
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We spent a day and night at Rookery Manor, the view from our room was idyllic and beds comfortable. However we did think we were staying in someone's chic 1993 house, the bathroom blind didn't work and the window rickety, there was also no frosting on the bathroom window, which was worryingly at groin height, not good for the other residents. Woke up this morning and the room was freezing though and radiator seemed broken by the looks of it. We could have done with some lighting outside of our room building, the lights outside the front door didn't work and it was quite dark. However the room was clean and tidy.

The signage to the rooms were far from 4 stars, they were paper, stuck up with duct tape and masking tape retrospectively.

The Spa was a treat, nice and relaxing. The staff were pleasant and attentive, we had a really nice time, we didn't have to worry about anything. Decor inside the spa changing room and treatment rooms was lovely, clean and tidy.

Afternoon tea was different, it was presented lovely, however not all of it tasted very nice, the mushroom quiche was watery, sandwiches dry, like they had been left out all day and shortbread quite tough, however the lemon mousse, brownie and chocolate mousse were delicious. Our evening meal was lovely, we had scallops, seafood timbale, pork Wellington, chicken, the cheese board and lemon posset, the pork Wellington was divine, really tasty. Staff were attentive and were well deserving of their tip, it's a shame that they didn't seem to get a lot of tips from their reaction. We had a relaxing evening in the lounge area after dinner, with very expensive beer, £4.90 for a pint of Peroni, good job our champagne was included in with our package.

This venue is great for weddings, with the lovely gardens and function room types, I think its more suited as a wedding venue than a holiday/retreat place. Could do with a lighter airier place for the restaurant for non wedding guests.

All in all, it was a nice stay, we were well fed, breakfast was great and staff attentive, however some fixtures and fittings need some attention, the drainage needs sorting and some heat would be good in the rooms and dining room. Plus they need to widen the wifi reach, we couldn't access it in our room.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend me my husband and my little boy. It isn't really for children the surroundings are beautiful such a pretty area, perfect for a wedding venue. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening only had breakfast the breakfast was nice it is help yourself little bit disappointed with how the breakfast was for the money you pay for the room. Plus the swimming pool and hot tub can not be used after 5pm and we arrived at 4 to check in which we was gutted about and then in the morning we did not have the time as we had to get back on the road again we paid £95 a room and I wish we could of gone for a swim and hot tub. I would stay again but properly just me and my husband next time.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband booked us a spa break as a birthday surprise. Our room (Emerald) was fabulous; evidently an upgrade but with no extra charge to us. The geography of the place means it's a bit of a walk from the rooms to the spa and dining room band even though it's mostly covered I was surprised that there were no complementary umbrellas. The spa was welcoming, relaxing and the therapists professional and very friendly. Lunch was a slight disappointment as I'd ordered a sandwich which came with stale bread. When I complained it was replaced with no fuss. The dinner was one of the best restaurant meals I've eaten in a long time. This hotel is clearly geared towards the wedding market as there is a conservatory wedding type chapel in the grounds and the dining room clearly doubles up as a reception venue. As such I'd be reluctant to stay over a weekend but it was perfect for a mid week break.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The garden is beautiful and perfect for my morning yoga, rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious.
Very friendly staff and clean room. Spa is amazing. It was for of us and we shared a beautiful duplex room, perfect for a couple privacy and some other friends as we were.
Please visit it!

Room Tip: The4 bedroom we chose was on two levels, perfect for a couple and two friends or for a family to giv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked the rookery manor as a stop off point on our way home from a Cornish 2 week holiday. Having done some research on trip advisor I really wanted it to be a lovely end to what was a great holiday and a picturesque 4 star hotel seemed perfect. I was really disappointed. The room was small and really hot with a stained carpet and no mirror over the sink in the bathroom so my partner couldn't shave properly.
However we used the hydro pool which was lovely and the gardens are very pretty.
The major let down was breakfast. I was travelling with my partner and my 2 teenage daughters and we arrived for the Sunday breakfast buffet at 9.20 and there was no food left! No bread for toast, no orange juice and very little hot food including no bacon, sausage or hash brown. The rather stressed and surly staff member repeatedly told me the chef was preparing more, and after we sat for 20 mins waiting she informed me the sausages would take another 15 mins are they "are cooked from fresh" when are sausages not cooked from fresh!!?
We gave up waiting and left. To be fair when we complained the price of the breakfast £12 pp was deducted from the bill but this is unacceptable from a 4 star hotel. It is a small hotel and not hard surely to prepare enough food for a breakfast buffet?
My 13 year old commented she had had better breakfasts in a travelodge!
A real let down and a disappointing ending to a fab holiday

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fishersmead
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I recently attended Rookery spa as part of a hen party for my best friend. From the moment we stepped through the doors to when we left each and every member of staff treated us like VIPs! We had to fill out standard forms and asked to pre order our lunch, so much choice with lots of variety. We were then whisked away on a tour and the receptionist pointed out all the facilities and how everything worked which was very helpful and then showed us to the changing rooms where our robes and towels were already waiting for us. We booked treatments in the morning and one by one we were taken to a private treatment room where we then had individual consultations about what we had chosen, my facial was heavenly I was pretty much asleep! At the end of my treatment the therapist gave me lots of advice and even recommend some products to help my skin. At lunch we were lead through to a large function room and left in the hands of a waitress, slower service than we would of liked but the food was totally worth the wait! We then spent the afternoon trying out the hydro pool, massage chairs and hot tub (excellent in the rain!) So much to do to relax for hours and I very much enjoyed the memory foam wave beds for an afternoon nap! All in all a very relaxing day, cant wait to return for our next girly day out.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way down to Cornwall. We paid £65 for the room which we thought was great value for money. I had Swedish body massage at the spa which was one of the best I've ever had. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good. The grounds are lovely-perfect for a wedding. Some more seating for outdoors would be nice so that guests could enjoy it a little more.

Stayed: August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edingworth
Beachlands Hotel
6 mi away
Smiths Hotel
Smiths Hotel
#10 of 28 in Weston-super-Mare

Been to Rookery Manor? Share your experiences!