Tucan Terra
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cabo Matapalo
See available hotels
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge(Cabo Matapalo)
  • Pool
El Remanso Lodge(Osa Peninsula)
  • Breakfast included
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
  • Breakfast included
Casa Bambu Resort(Cabo Matapalo)
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
View Hotel
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswithin walking distancetop floorpiece of paradiseprivate beachguest housegorgeous gardenstropical birdshelpful tipsrecommended by a friendimmediately felt at homescarlet macawscosta ricagrinderbeds were comfortableosa peninsulaevery morningcorcovado park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I just returned from a three week vacation with my wife in Costa Rica, the last week of which we stayed at Tucan Terra. I'm glad that Tucan Terra was our final destination, because it was by far the best.

The simple, but beautifully appointed cabinas are surrounded by a perfectly manicured garden. And the entire property is nestled in the dense jungle of the Osa Peninsula, with monkeys swinging from the vines, steep mountains behind you and the warm waters of the Pacific not more than 50 yards from your front door. Unlike other destinations that we visited in Costa Rica (Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio), Cabo Matapalo is completely unspoiled. The area is really what we had envisioned Costa Rica would be -- an outdoor-lovers paradise.

The innkeeper, Van, is a larger than life, hairy chested, big mustached teddy-bear of a man. He got us dialed into kayak and surfboard rentals and was happy to help coordinate a trip into Corcovado national park with a local guide. The park was amazing, but almost all of the same wildlife can be seen from the front the comfort of the front deck at Tucan Terra.

The cabinas have full kitchen, but Van does offer meal service, which I highly recommend. Van made us a couple fantastic four course dinners. The food was great. And after long days of swimming, hiking, and surfing, it was particularly nice to have somebody else take care of the cooking and cleaning. If you do plan to cook your own food, make sure to get well stocked at the market in town, as the drive back is quite a haul and there is no market in Cabo Matapalo.

If you require a blow drier and pool-side bottle service, this place may not be for you. But if you want wonderfully maintained, well-run lodge in one of the most pristine settings on earth, this is your destination. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

we stayed here on the recommendation of a good friend, so we knew what to expect, but our friend's description didn't begin to scratch the surface of how great van's place is. while showering (if you're tall enough) you can watch the hummingbirds zipping from flower to flower as you wash your hair, then move down to the deck near van's house and watch who visits the bird feeder. you won't miss any of this awesomeness because the howler monkeys wake you up in time to watch the sun rise over punta banca on the other side of the golfo dulce, prime time for bird watching.
the whole property is spotless and perfectly manicured and your accommodation is equally spotless. if you're the type of traveler that needs a lot of gadgets then you should give south osa a miss as there is no electricity. all the electric at toucan terra is solar and only comes in 12v cigarette lighter style. if you want to see amazing animals from your porch, find your own poison dart frogs while hiking to a beautiful waterfall, surf some awesome waves then toucan terra with van is your best choice. if you need a spa, tv, paved roads and frozen tourist drinks then head to disney world.

Room Tip: be sure to stop in jimenez and stock up on EVERYTHING, especially if you are self catering. i didn't check out the bottom floor, but the top floor is amazing.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Great place, great host. Like a high class Robinson Caruso. Sitting in the shade and feeling the breeze, hearing the waves, waking to the monkeys. I thought no ac would make for grumpy bride and sleepless nights, I was wrong! Breeze at night kept us fine. I'd stay again. negs- could use better pillows, and minimal romantic privacy with close & open proximity to unit above

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I can say this place stinks so I can keep it to myself but I must share my incredible experience at this place. I have stayed here many times and this is a definite comeback place for me. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The kitchenette has all the basic things you would need to make meals because the nearest store is over an hour away. Although it is a beach rental, you can ask your host, Van, to surprise you with a fancy meal. He is a gourmet chef. Who would have thought that I've had the best pizza in the jungles of Matapalo! He can entertain you with countless stories and give you helpful tips to make your stay enjoyable. You can just hang out here all day long and watch the toucans, monkeys, macaws, sloths, bats, etc pass by. And to cool off, the beach is just steps away. Tucanterra provides me with a place of healing and laughter.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We have visited Tucan Terra in the rainy season, the dry season, under the full moon and the darkness of the new moon. It is always an incredible experience. This year our daughter joined us. She said "I know you tried to explain this place to me, but there really isn't any way to adequately describe it." You too will be amazed by the warmth, the wonders, and your host. Van is a warm and wonderful human being. His knowledge and experience will serve you well during your visit. In addition to helping you plan the activities that will enhance and maximize your Osa adventure, he will cook for you too. Treat yourself and request a meal or two. Van's cooking is delicious and memorable. Prepare to have the wildest most civilized jungle experience possible.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family