“Lapa Rios in September”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mukilteo, Washington
“Lapa Rios in September”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Between the beautiful views from the room, the educational tours and the crazy evening thunderstorms, we had a fantastic time during our 5 day stay at Lapa Rios.

By far our biggest highlight was interacting with the staff. They were not only helpful in answering all our questions about the local culture, environment and sustainability on the property, but we enjoyed learning from them and they were engaging to be around. Of all the properties we have visited on our trip to Costa Rica, the service at Lapa Rios stood out the most, providing us an experience we will never forget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed staying at Lapa Rios!! This was my first trip to Costa Rica (and first out of the country vacation) and my first time staying in a "5 Leaf" hotel!! My sister and mother have been to CR twice before this trip, and I used to give them a hard time about always going to CR. I now know why they keep going back! And I cant wait to return!! I have to tell you how great of a time I (as well as my Mom and sister) had!! The views are spectacular!! The wildlife was amazing to see!! Nothing like that in the U.S!! The staff was more than great! I cant tell you how much I enjoyed every single person that works at Lapa Rios! Everyone was so friendly and accommidating! They made sure we had a great time everyday! We only stayed 3 nights but it just felt very comfortable and I was sad to leave everyone. It was a very intimate atmosphere and to me it felt like being back at camp when I was younger and how you make quick friends and being very close knit with the staff and guests! The tours were awesome! Being able to walk around the primary rainforest and see the wildlife and waterfalls and streams was just beyond what I thought it would be. The food was also very tasty, every meal was just great! I also loved the pigs and twigs tour! It was great to see how sustainable your hotel is and makes me want to do more where I live and incorporate some of the things I learned at Lapa Rios in my everyday life. Thank you again for such a wonderful experience!! And I cant wait to have a return trip to Lapa Rios!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were amazing! They all had amazing views and were very into nature. Cannot beat the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jackie M
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Beautiful trip from start to finish - well worth the extra effort to get to as it gives you the best secluded jungle experience with the luxury of all inclusive.
Greeted at the airport with fresh drinks, comfortable (although very bumpy) ride to the lodge where the driver was happy to point out animals and stop for us to take pictures along the way. More welcome drinks at the lodge and arrived just in time for lunch! Staff were very friendly the whole of our stay - they couldn't do enough to help including being a translator and negotiator when talking to local artists. Every night the main lodge had different local people selling produce - nice touch to make you feel a bit more integrated into the area and I'm a firm believer in money going back into local community which Lapa Rios seems to do very well.
We stayed in the bungalow the furthest away from the main lodge (over 200 steps but plenty of viewing/breathing spots along the way!) but beautiful and so peaceful and private. Just sat in the hammock on the deck area you hear and see so much wildlife its almost a shame to leave.
We couldn't have asked for a better end to our honeymoon - they even arranged for us to have breakfast in our room on our last morning after our private poolside dinner.
Food was amazing - huge portion sizes and good range and happy to provide snacks whenever (although after 3 big meals a day not sure how anyone has room for snacks!) On site tours were great with really informative guides and happy to arrange other tours for you - we did the waterfall repelling with a hotel up the road which was amazing.
Definitely recommending this to anyone and everyone who will listen - can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Rooms 13 and 14 are the furthest away - 200 hundred steps, so if you don't like a hike for your...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
philadelphia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We travelled to the Osa Peninsula, and Lapa Rios in particular, for the remoteness, as many do. It was spectacular, as many others have recounted- we agree with all of the rave reviews on this site. What we did not expect, however, was the wonderful way in which they helped us through a difficult turn of events that happened within just a few hours of arrival to this remote paradise.

In short, there was an unexpected death of Chris's mother in the US soon after we arrived. The family called the main number to the ecolodge (which was not actually on the premises) and the message was quickly radioed to the resort, and a manager promptly found us in our bungalow to inform us. They then proceeded to allow Chris to set up a communications center in their little office to Skype (on one of the manger's cell phones) back to the US. While it was quite a chaotic time, everyone at Lapas Rios did everything they could to make things proceed smoothly and help Chris and I feel as comfortable and soothed as possible. In the next days, they made the complete travel arrangement changes to facilitate the early return to the States. They were all amazing. Sympathetic, professional, friendly, thoughtful- they thought of every detail, and made sure everything was attended to.

Biggest kudos to EVERYONE at Lapa Rios. I do not know how to properly express my thanks for how they handled this horrible situation, but I hope they know how much their care, concern, and helpful actions were appreciated.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank kmorg1234
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

A must see for anyone who wants to experience a truly secluded lodge in the lush jungles of Costa Rica. It was an amazing experience from the delicious meals, scenic views from the rooms, attentive staff and various excursions offered daily. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Reedsme
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had a great time at Lapa Rios. Our view was spectacular, the food was great, and the staff was attentive and helpful. We liked the artisans who came to the dining room each evening and enjoyed the hikes, especially led by Valerie. The howler monkeys and other wildlife were wonderful and it was nice that they had a few of the trees labeled. I was surprised that the options for hiking in small family groups were so limited, that is an easy fix.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank coastliveoak
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2013

If you want to be in nature where you can look into a monkeys eyes, watch a young mother carry her young on her back, gaze at the macaws and search for many beautiful birds who are in there natural habitat or relax by the beautiful pool with a gorgeous view or hang out in the reception or on the observation deck reading or touring the magnificent home that was created by John and Karen Lewis and now in the capable hands of a beautiful team who will ensure this vision is grown and sustainable....then this is the place for you.

The team is from Puerto Jimenez and they are so proud to call Lapa Rios their home. They are eager to serve beautiful home made creations with a smile and kindness.
Or something fresh from the bar..you will not go thirsty.

I have been to this beautiful remote place in the very early years and I am so happy to see the vision that was put in place many years ago will be sustained....actually truly saving the people, their families and the rainforest. Many people talk about this work but I have never seen someone put it to the test and actually make many dreams come true.

I loved my time with such special people both from the past and present and I send them all my love from the bottom of my heart.

Room Tip: The views are amazing from every room. It is a place to hike and enjoy so 14 is at the very bottom a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 5 in Cabo Matapalo
Cabinas Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
#2 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula? Share your experiences!