Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
US$271
US$260
  • Breakfast included
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge(Cabo Matapalo)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsthe main lodgehowler monkeyscosta ricanight walkoutdoor showerwaterfall hikeosa peninsulacoconut waterobservation decksustainability tourlocal schoolthe general managerour honeymoonginger cookiesdolphin tourpuerto jimenezprivate deck
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The level of customer service, quality of the food, employee's willingness to help make our stay nothing short of amazing, and the bungalows at Lapa Rios made our stay an absolute 'Night in Nature's Paradise.' The stars at night, the view of the ocean by day, and the wildlife made our stay an amazing and unforgettable one. We also loved the bungalows/accommodations with the beautiful landscaping, outdoor shower, open concept room, and quality of the room was superb.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Between the beautiful views from the room, the educational tours and the crazy evening thunderstorms, we had a fantastic time during our 5 day stay at Lapa Rios.

By far our biggest highlight was interacting with the staff. They were not only helpful in answering all our questions about the local culture, environment and sustainability on the property, but we enjoyed learning from them and they were engaging to be around. Of all the properties we have visited on our trip to Costa Rica, the service at Lapa Rios stood out the most, providing us an experience we will never forget.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed staying at Lapa Rios!! This was my first trip to Costa Rica (and first out of the country vacation) and my first time staying in a "5 Leaf" hotel!! My sister and mother have been to CR twice before this trip, and I used to give them a hard time about always going to CR. I now know why they keep going back! And I cant wait to return!! I have to tell you how great of a time I (as well as my Mom and sister) had!! The views are spectacular!! The wildlife was amazing to see!! Nothing like that in the U.S!! The staff was more than great! I cant tell you how much I enjoyed every single person that works at Lapa Rios! Everyone was so friendly and accommidating! They made sure we had a great time everyday! We only stayed 3 nights but it just felt very comfortable and I was sad to leave everyone. It was a very intimate atmosphere and to me it felt like being back at camp when I was younger and how you make quick friends and being very close knit with the staff and guests! The tours were awesome! Being able to walk around the primary rainforest and see the wildlife and waterfalls and streams was just beyond what I thought it would be. The food was also very tasty, every meal was just great! I also loved the pigs and twigs tour! It was great to see how sustainable your hotel is and makes me want to do more where I live and incorporate some of the things I learned at Lapa Rios in my everyday life. Thank you again for such a wonderful experience!! And I cant wait to have a return trip to Lapa Rios!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were amazing! They all had amazing views and were very into nature. Cannot beat the views anywhere! They all have their own private porch and the rooms are screen covered, no windows which makes it feel like you are sleeping with nature, waking up to the beautiful sunrises and monkeys is unbeatable...Just make sure you are in decent shape...there are stairs and inclines to walk to/from room and you need to be in decent shape to do hikes as well.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Beautiful trip from start to finish - well worth the extra effort to get to as it gives you the best secluded jungle experience with the luxury of all inclusive.
Greeted at the airport with fresh drinks, comfortable (although very bumpy) ride to the lodge where the driver was happy to point out animals and stop for us to take pictures along the way. More welcome drinks at the lodge and arrived just in time for lunch! Staff were very friendly the whole of our stay - they couldn't do enough to help including being a translator and negotiator when talking to local artists. Every night the main lodge had different local people selling produce - nice touch to make you feel a bit more integrated into the area and I'm a firm believer in money going back into local community which Lapa Rios seems to do very well.
We stayed in the bungalow the furthest away from the main lodge (over 200 steps but plenty of viewing/breathing spots along the way!) but beautiful and so peaceful and private. Just sat in the hammock on the deck area you hear and see so much wildlife its almost a shame to leave.
We couldn't have asked for a better end to our honeymoon - they even arranged for us to have breakfast in our room on our last morning after our private poolside dinner.
Food was amazing - huge portion sizes and good range and happy to provide snacks whenever (although after 3 big meals a day not sure how anyone has room for snacks!) On site tours were great with really informative guides and happy to arrange other tours for you - we did the waterfall repelling with a hotel up the road which was amazing.
Definitely recommending this to anyone and everyone who will listen - can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Rooms 13 and 14 are the furthest away - 200 hundred steps, so if you don't like a hike for your dinner this ones not for you!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We travelled to the Osa Peninsula, and Lapa Rios in particular, for the remoteness, as many do. It was spectacular, as many others have recounted- we agree with all of the rave reviews on this site. What we did not expect, however, was the wonderful way in which they helped us through a difficult turn of events that happened within just a few hours of arrival to this remote paradise.

In short, there was an unexpected death of Chris's mother in the US soon after we arrived. The family called the main number to the ecolodge (which was not actually on the premises) and the message was quickly radioed to the resort, and a manager promptly found us in our bungalow to inform us. They then proceeded to allow Chris to set up a communications center in their little office to Skype (on one of the manger's cell phones) back to the US. While it was quite a chaotic time, everyone at Lapas Rios did everything they could to make things proceed smoothly and help Chris and I feel as comfortable and soothed as possible. In the next days, they made the complete travel arrangement changes to facilitate the early return to the States. They were all amazing. Sympathetic, professional, friendly, thoughtful- they thought of every detail, and made sure everything was attended to.

Biggest kudos to EVERYONE at Lapa Rios. I do not know how to properly express my thanks for how they handled this horrible situation, but I hope they know how much their care, concern, and helpful actions were appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family