“CPAP Machines Work Here”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saratoga, CA
“CPAP Machines Work Here”
Reviewed 28 December 2007

It's difficult not to be redundant. Bosque has an unbelievably loyal and enthusiastic fan club. After spending 6 days [12/15-21/07] there, I understand why. Bosque does everything right, from meeting us at our cruise ship dock in Puerto Caldera, delivering us to San Jose airport, meeting us at the PJ airport, etc. etc. etc. Logistics, food, accommodations, privacy, setting, service, Spanish lessons, wildlife, absence of mosquitos, ... no reason to go on and on. Just keep reading more reviews should you need more convincing. Remember to bring flashlights and sturdy trail shoes that can handle slippery, muddy surfaces. No need for the knee boots you used in the Amazon, though.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank bnaysrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
San Diego
Reviewed 17 December 2007

We returned to Bosque after a great stay last year. It didn't disappoint. The cabin was comfortable, albeit small (we like the small cabins in the garden area), the food excellent and the trails wonderful. Great wildlife sighting. Great proximity to the beaches. It is a hikers and photographer's paradise. Moreover, the staff is excellent. Their masseuse, Jutta, is special....really special. Their guide Carlos is excellent; knowledgeable and personable. We would not qualify our recommendation of this property.

• Stayed November 2007
Hope, AR
Reviewed 4 December 2007

We have visited Costa Rica at least annually since 1993; we have covered the country and without a doubt Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge is the best of the best. In '93 Bosque del Cabo consisted of 3 cabinas; there was no electricity and no hot water, but it was totally comfortable with wonderful beds, linens, food and a friendly staff who couldn't do enough to make our trip memorable. The wildlife there was like no other place (monkeys in the trees, squawking scarlett macaws in the air and a jaguar in the forest). We have been privaledged to watch this resort "grow up", but in the best of ways, never change. It still has friendly staff and a home like atmosphere in the amazing open air restaurant and bar. The food was outstanding on our last stay and even frozen drinks are now readily available in the bar. More cabins, deluxe cabins & houses are options; all are solar powered and have hot water. The views from all cabins are spectacular (all except the garden have ocean views). A swimming pool provides a great place to cool off after hikes in the forrest. Actually you don't have to venture into the forrest; we saw howler, white face and spider monkeys, a 3 toed sloth, agoutis, pizotes, scarlett macaws and toucans all from our cabin's deck, or on the lawn of the lodge. On the driveway we saw a Puma and a black jaguarundi. Nearby our animal sitings included a collared anteater and squirrel monkeys. If you love nature and want to experience Costa Rica to the fullest, Bosque del Cabo is the place to go! It matters not whether you are the ultimate adventure traveler or a "older" bird watcher. This resort can provide thrilling adventure (such as repeling down an amazing waterfall, tree climbing, zip-line, world class surfing) as well as guided birding and wildlife viewing on relatively level, well maintained trails. If you can only go one place, this should be it!
Stan and Delia James
Hope, AR., USA

• Liked — rustic luxury appropriate for the setting
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dadooley
Ontario
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Where do I start? Bosque Del Cabos is like stepping into another time and place. The location is at the edge of the Osa peninsula, 500 feet above the crashing Pacific ocean and lovely Dolce bay. The towering rainforest trees and lush lawns studded with incredible flowers and bushes were enough to bowl over this colour deprived Canadian, who's home and native land is at this time of year just going to sleep in shades of grey and brown. The smells and sounds of the rainforest woke up all of our senses and the abundance of wildlife from hummingbirds that flew through our room to the white-faced monkeys that swung from the palms and trees by our cabins was enough to make one feel soooo alive. It was my husband and my very first visit to gorgeous Costa Rica. Our first days at Bosque were spent on the edge of the cliff overlooking the Pacific in a lovely deluxe cabina. It was great to just relax and to let the sounds of the ocean..and the breeze move the stresses that we carried with us. I borrowed a yoga mat and was doing my routine on the lovely deck overlooking the ocean when I suddenly felt as if I was being watched. When I looked up....I noticed 2 very curious white-faced monkeys watching and moving closer and closer. I ignored them....but as I went down to do the floor part of my routine....the two little monkeys moved to a tree bow directly over my head to get a closer look at my strange routine. I started laughing so hard.....that I had to give up my yoga...as the two scampered away!!!!!
For the second part of our trip we stayed in the Tropical Garden in LaPaz. It;s an incredible cabin with open sides on 3 sides. The primary rainforest begins just behind this lovely cabin...and just below in the valley...not one but two incredible waterfalls tumble over rocks echoeing up to the cabin above. By the end of the week....we sat in our hammock....watching a sloth just behind our cabin and as mentioned before, watched with glee and delight as hummingbirds would fly right through the cabin!!
The food was simple but so healthy and fresh.
The other guests were in the same head space - mostly professionals and thinkers and naturalists. Even the children that came with their parents were delightful and fun to watch as they explored with wonder the next surprise that appeared around the corner...or trail.
We can hardly wait to go back.....between the staff...and the lovely philosophy that all the staff seems to share.
It truly was like going to another world....where we could find ourselves again!!!!

• Liked — The natural setting.
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank OntarioNaturegirl27
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I just returned from a 3-4 day stay at Bosque del Cabo. The property was amazing! You will see wildlife around the property and generally in this area (Osa Pennisula) that you will not easily see anywhere else in Costa Rica. On a walk up the driveway, I watched all four types of monkeys found in Costa Rica swing in the trees overhead. The atmosphere is very laid back, with options to hike alone or with a guide. The staff were the most pleasant and happy that I have ever encountered (and I have traveled a good deal). The food was absolutely fantastic, very simple and healthy, with a good selection of choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of note, I did meet several return guests, who offered that they continue to explore new areas of Costa Rica but always try to return to Bosque del Cabo.

• Liked — Wildlife and Food
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank algneb
Kansas City
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I just recently completed a seven day stay at Bosque Del Cabo on the Osa Penisula in Costra Rica. If you are looking for a "back to nature" experience with many of the amenities of civilized life, this place is for you.

Bosque is about as laid back as you can get. Your day is your own. While the nearby town of Puerto Jimenez (45 minutes by car) offers various excurisions, my wife and I never could get ourselves to leave the grounds at Bosque. Mornings start early (as do the evenings since you're so close to the equator). By 5:30 a.m. each morning we were up searching for wildlife to photograph. It didn't take long. After a quick cup of outstanding coffee, we strolled around the grounds of the main buildings where capuchin monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, roadside hawks and growler monkeys began to stir.

Then it was back for breakfast (delicious, as was all the meals at Bosque!). It's there where we decided which rainforest trail we'd walk, or maybe we just took the Pacific Coast trail down to the the stunning beach 500 feet below Bosque. Check the board in the lobby for low/high tides, as you definitely want to go to the beach at low tide. Get ready for a good workout coming back up as you climb all 425 steps (yes, I counted them to take my mind off how sore my legs were getting.) Once on the beach, go right, walk about 20 minutes to a large creek coming out of the jungle. Follow the creek about five minutes to a stunning 75-foot waterfall. So awesome! Despite the hike back up the trail, it's definitely worth it.

Now it's lunch time. My wife was fond of the Curry Chicken and Papya sandwich. Melt's in your mouth. Speaking of melt, try the "fresh" tuna melt sandwich with an Imperili (the local cervaza- Muy Bueno!).

After lunch it was either time for some reading in Bosque's quiet library or in our "cabina" - Mariposa, where stunning views and tranquil sounds of the Pacific down below made it hard to keep my eyes on my book.

Then another afternoon jungle walk, pausing every 30 feet or so to look up, look down and all around. You just never know what you may see.

A nice, relaxing shower (hot water readily available) in our cabina's outdoor shower (very neat experience), then off to dinner. It gets dark at 5:30 so don't forget your flashlight or a "miner's light", that fits around your head. A couple cocktails to relax, then off to the buffet style dinner (outstanding!!) where the tables are pushed together and you have great conversations with other guests (a total of 16 others while we were there). We met terrific people from Holland, Germany, Canada and the States.

Post a reply to this if you have questions but it was just one incredible trip. 458 pictures later, I plan to post some as soon as I get through them all.

Regards,

KCBadger

6 Thank KCbadger
London
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Have just returned from 4 nights at Bosque del Cabo (should have been 5 nights but the airport at San Jose closed due to bad weather). I agree with all the previous reports about it being a wonderful place. I stayed in a deluxe bungalow with outdoor shower and bath, verandah with hammock and chairs and an observation platform. I am not very mobile (in particular with a lot of steps or steep climbs/descents) so was only able to do the beginnings of the trails (I knew this before I booked), however the gardens are wonderful and there is a nice walk along the drive. I just wanted some peace and quiet to chill out so was also happy sitting reading on my verandah. The food is fresh and interesting (eg Mahe fish with caper sauce, beef fajitas) and the three meals a day are ALL large. The staff are all very helpful and more like a family than staff.

I cannot praise Bosque del Cabo enough, however there were some downsides (which relate to the whole area, not the lodge) which I must mention. Now, I know it was the rainy season but I did not expect it to rain almost all the time (especially as this is the very tail end of the rainy season). It also got chilly enough a couple of evenings to have to put a jumper on. I didn't mind the rain and had gone prepared, but there was not the abundance of wildlife that I expected. Yes, I did see some monkeys, coati, mackaws and a few other birds (in the odd couple of hours each day when it didn't rain) but I was disappointed I did not see more. Also pictures posted by previous reviewers give the impression that there are 'tame' animals on site - this is not true and I think any photos of someone holding an animal , were actually taken at the animal sanctuary (you just HAVE to visit the animal sanctuary!). Other guests who went on the trails did not see much either.

Yes, my clothes got wet and even my quick-dry trousers took three days to dry - but the clothes I had hung up also got damp! I also took some lightweight plastic ponchos (made out of that very thin polythene sheeting you put down when decorating) which come in a very small pack - I found one of these really useful, better than any sort of jacket because you don't get hot in them and you can leave them behind when you leave (I think I paid about £6 for a pack of 10 - via the Internet in England).

Wary of the warnings to take a good flashlight, I took a large powerful one, which was excellent but the batteries made it very heavy (thinking about the weight restrictions for luggage). They do have flashlights you can borrow that, although they are not that powerful, are perfectly adequate for getting to/from to the deluxe bungalows, so you don't need to take a heavy one with you. I did not get to see the accommodation in the tropical gardens, but I suspect you might need your own, more powerful flashlight as I understand the walk to them is through the rain forest (you might like to check this out with the hotel).

Finally, a comment about the luggage restrictions on the internal flight to Puerto Jimenez of 30lbs and only one piece. I totally forgot about this restriction and actually had about 50lbs and two suitcases - I was worried I might have to leave a case behind in San Jose. However, they don't refuse excess luggage but they did charge me $25 on the flight to PJ (nothing on the return trip) -
I also had to pay another $25 and $20 on two further internal flights. However, I would have found it impossible to take only 30lbs and I think the extra $70 was worth it. I did discover that Air Nature will store luggage for you for 15 days (I cannot remember the cost, but it is not much), so if I went again I would pack into two cases, one of which I would store with Air Nature and then swap them before the next internal flight (most, although not all, flights start in San Jose) .

I would definitely visit again if I could, but not in the rainy season!

• Liked — The verandah overlooking the rainforest; large room; outdoor shower; comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
Agua Dulce Beach Resort
Agua Dulce Beach Resort
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!