“Superlative”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 July 2012

A stunning location, with very good amenities.
Pleasant group of guests. Excellent food and drink.
Forest walks enchanting, but like any tropical forest, look where you put your hands and feet
If spiders and snakes give you paranoia, don't come here. You respect them. They avoid you. Don't be paranoid about mosquitos. The bats eat them, and malaria etc is an eastern coast issue, not an Osa one.
Probably the very best place to see equitorial forest.
Do take the guided walks, particularly the one at night

Room Tip: Simple and very adequate rooms. Don't expect washing to dry quickly, as there is no air con, and...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank veritasOxford

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Spectacular location on the Southern tip of the Osa Peninsula. Excellent, personal, friendly service. Enjoyed the guided and unguided hikes, and hanging out at the lodge with the staff and other guests. The flight from San José to Puerto Jiménez is scenic. The road from there to BdC is a bit bumpy - ideally, stay at least three nights to really relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank AlumniDog84
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Reading some of the reviews before mine, one thing stood out: so many repeat visitors. This was also true on meeting some of the guests during my stay as well. I think it's indicative of the continuing quality and service of Bosque del Cabo that so many people return to it time and time again.

Myself, this was my 12th visit, and just as enjoyable as any of the others preceding it. I stayed 2 nights in the Pizote cabina, which has an outstanding large deck overlooking the ocean, 2 beds downstairs and 2 single beds up in the loft. There are no guarantees with wildlife but as with a previous stay in this cabina, spider monkeys almost without fail made the trip up the ridge early in the morning (around 6am) and down the ridge in the afternoon (around 4pm) - making for fantastic views & photos as this all takes place right next to the cabina. I also stayed in the new apartment-style cabina named Aracari. This lovely 2 bedroom space is fully screened in, with a deck overlooking trees and ocean beyond. Although I was solo, I think it'd be perfect for a family with kids or 2 couples, as the bathroom that separates the 2 bedrooms can be closed off. It doesn't have an outside shower as other cabinas do, just to note. Many coatis and agoutis always by the front entry, as well as a surprised (for both of us) run in with some armadillos.

The staff here is a huge draw, it's a pleasure to see so many of the same people year after year. Heilyn, Daniel, Mikhol, Grevin, Jorge, Cindy.....I could go on, but they are truly interested in you and making your trip special. The food as always was filling and delicious, no matter how much I hike each day, I always seem to come home a couple pounds heavier! A new, nice touch is a glass bottle of water delivered to the cabinas in late afternoon; as well as always having hot coffee available for early risers like myself at 5am.

Another big benefit of staying at the lodge is having a top notch biologist on site. Philip has been at the lodge for 12 years and therefore is quite familiar with all of the birds, mammals, reptiles, butterflies, insects et al that inhabit the area. He gives 2 tours a day which are so informative and interesting - the 4 hour Primary tour, which gives an in-depth view into the workings of the rain forest and the 1 hour Sunset hike, which is an easy hike around the grounds finding frogs, bats, toads, snakes and anything else interesting that happens to be in the area. I would highly recommend taking both these tours, you will learn and see so much to complement your stay on the Osa.

The wildlife on the grounds of the lodge are unparalleled. In just a single hike it's quite easy to spot troops of Caphuchin, Spider, Howler and Squirrel monkeys. Throw in constant run-ins with hawks, agoutis, coatis, currosows, toucans & macaws; not to mention, if you're lucky, tayras, tamanduas, peccaries. If you're really lucky you may spot the couple of pumas who frequent the area; I have not had luck on my side as of yet, which means I must return for a 13th visit!

I've stayed at many lodges on the Osa. Bosque del Cabo is truly the only one where I am often planning my next visit while I am there.

Room Tip: All of the cabinas are great. I have my faves but wouldn't hesitate to stay in any of them
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank midori
Reviewed 20 June 2012

After our 4th trip to Bosque del Cabo I can honestly say that you should stop reading the reviews and just contact them to book your stay. You will not regret it. All of the reviews are true. If you like nature and wildlife there is no better place. On top of it all the staff is excellent and the food is tremendous.

So, stop researching other places to stay, you have found your paradise in the rainforest.

With that said, after 4 trips we did see a lot of the same wildlife this trip. But, we also really learned to recognize the sounds of the rainforest and see unique animal behaviors this trip. After talking with Philip one day we learned that the agouti will stamp it's foot loudly if a snake is nearby. The next day we heard a pounding sound and traced it to an agouti that was stamping it's foot in the forest. We couldn't find the snake but just experiencing the behavior was great.

Not only did we see all 4 monkey species in one day on multiple occasions (something we call "going card") but we also saw all 4 monkey babies in one day which was a first. Couple that with a close up encounter with a Tamandua, our first ever Tayra sighting and 7 snakes in 7 days and you have the makings of another outstanding trip.

When you go, do take advantage of the activities offered by the lodge. Both Philip and Carlos are a wealth of knowledge and their love of the area flora and fauna is contagious.

Photographers out there should know that you can get really close to the wildlife so all you need is 300mm. No need to pack really big lenses but a tripod is essential for sharp pictures. Trip pictures and trip reports can be viewed here: http://www.focusedonnature.com/

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EDH_Traveler
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We just got back from a few days at Bosque -- it is my fifth time visiting that property over the past 15 years. So clearly, we are big fans. I've stayed at a number of the ecolodges in Osa and Bosque ranks as my favorite, with Nicuesa my close second. The staff, the trails, the accommodations and the food are all wonderful at Bosque. The place is a gem.

As to the "disaster" talked about by BostonDenver, we had the same thing happen to us last week. Costa Rica doesn't have any poisonous insects or human-eating predators but it does have a few poisonous snakes (I think only Hawaii doesn't). I see them on every trip I take there but they don't want anything to do with people. Snake bites are usually due to humans being distracted or sloppy. When we found the Fer-de-Lance, Bosque's naturalist safely and humanely moved the snake back to the jungle where the snake (and guests) were much happier.

I agree with BostonDenver that Bosque may not be suitable for small children (under 4), although we have met a lot of families at Bosque and kids have a great time. But young ones will need supervision, just as they would in any remote area. If you are in the Osa, you really should check out Bosque.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IDOUCAN
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is a difficult review for me - I really loved going to Bosque except for one thing.

All the amazing stuff in the reviews is true - a special one of a kind place surrounded by wildlife, nice cabins, good food, nice people, views, hiking...

But on the last night of our trip, we found a Fer-de-Lance snake on the walkway right next to our cabin -- we could have very easily stepped on it. A bite from this snake doesn't just hurt - it is seriously dangerous. I couldn't sleep that night and I still sometimes have nightmares about it.

So if you go, and especially if you go with your kids, remember this is not Disneyland. You need to watch where you're walking, look around when you enter a room, check under your pillow, stay on the trails, hike with a guide, etc.. Many people have taken their kids and had a wonderful time, but I personally have decided not to take my kids here because even though it's a very small risk I don't think it's a risk I want to take.

Room Tip: We stayed in Mariposa and like it very much, a deluxe cabina on the end. It was very private and ha...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BostonDenver
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Five friends stayed in Casa Blanca in early May and had one of the best trips ever! Casa Blanca has been recently renovated and it is absolutely stunning. The addition of the outdoor tubs and showers to both bathrooms was great and the wraparound covered porch leading out to the 40' deck overlooking the Pacific is where we spent the majority of our time. The two bedrooms have wide louvered doors that open to the porch/deck and we kept them open at all times. There were lots of chairs and tables on the deck and hammocks at each end. The fully stocked kitchen was nice for Happy Hour supplies and snacks, but we took all of our meals at the lodge.

The wildlife on the grounds is wonderful - four species of monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, agoutis, frogs, snakes, hummingbirds, honeycreepers and manakins, to name just a few. The lush landscaping near the cabins and restaurant is beautiful along with views of the Pacific. We loved sitting on our deck watching the scarlet macaws and pelicans fly past. Every day the white-faced capuchins and spider monkeys were feeding in the fruit trees by the deck. The howler monkeys started roaring around 4 am and we always got up to start our wildlife watching at that point.

The food was delicious from banana pancakes to tuna melt sandwiches to mahi mahi at dinner. It was amazing that we didn't gain weight, but all the hiking kept it off! We enjoyed the communal dinners and sharing wildlife viewing tips with others.

There are numerous trails to hike, but my favorite was the Titi Trail where I was able to see a large troupe of squirrel monkeys for the first time. We also visited the pond by the road every evening after dinner to check out the frogs and snakes. The Creek and Vista trails had loads of black/green poison dart frogs hopping around each morning.

The staff members were a delight to get to know. Although the owners were out of the country the lodge operated flawlessly.

I have visited Costa Rica on five previous trips and have to admit that this is the best place that I've ever stayed - it's true paradise!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!