“Another amazing stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Another amazing stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My bf and I came to BdC for the Fodor's get-together at the end of June/early July 2013. This was my second visit, and it was even more amazing than my first time. There's just something very special about the Osa Peninsula and BdC, in particular. And the stay was made even more special because of the other guests and the always attentive but unobtrusive staff.

We stayed in Congo for the first two nights. Our toilet became clogged due to tree roots, and though the lodge was able to fix the problem in less than a couple of hours, they offered us a move to La Palma. We took them up on the offer mostly to try out another cabin. Though I have a very soft spot in my heart for Congo (it was where I stayed my first visit), I ended up loving La Palma even more. The trees in the front of the cabin were full of capuchin monkeys when we moved in, and it seemed to be the perfect welcoming committee.

The wildlife on the grounds and on the trails was exceptional. Highlights included a herd of peccaries on the Titi trail, a sloth moving to another tree on the main grounds, and more monkey sightings than can be counted.

Another highlight was the horseback riding tour offered by local Miguel Sanchez. Really amazing and highly recommended.

All in all the perfect rainforest get away -- thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank plumboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My 13th trip to Bosque del Cabo didn't result in a puma sighting - always next time! - but it was lucky. Bosque was gracious enough to welcome our group (18 people) with all the warmth and professionalism that they have always had, whether I was solo or with a group. We stayed a week, with only one day that was rainy enough to keep us off the trails; the rest of the days we had beautiful weather.

As always, the highlights at Bosque del Cabo are the wildlife sightings, the staff and the accommodations. As a group, we all saw a wide spectrum of wildlife, including all 4 types of monkeys, peccaries, a tayra, tamadua, countless birds, coati's, agouti's and reptiles. I think one of the great things at the lodge is that you can see so much wildlife while hiking the trails or just right from your deck. Some of were out hiking the Titi trail only to find later that a sloth had put in an appearance right in front of the restaurant.

The staff really makes this place and it's meaningful to see the same people over many, many years, says a lot of the owners and the staff itself. The lodge is so well maintained, which in that environment is a must. All of our meals were great and filling, probably too filling! But it's hard to pass up such fresh & tasty dishes. I would suggest showing up early at happy hour to have some tapas so you have time before dinner starts and more food arrives. Carlos who does the birding tour and Philip the in-house biologist are both very knowledgeable, having such an extensive resource of information is a bonus that you can't put a price on.

Our accommodations were the house Miramar and then I also spent a few days alone in Gecko cabina. Both are excellent choices depending on what your needs are and amount of people traveling with you. Miramar can hold up to 10 people but we had only 6, split between the 3 bedrooms. The view from the large deck is hard to tear yourself away from and it's great to have a private plunge pool. The house is open, so you sometimes may find a spider or frog in the house, but most of the time they stayed in their place and we in ours. The cabina I stayed in was a new one for me and I loved it. Lot's of seating inside, plus on the patio (covered) and on the deck as well. Good reading lights by the bed to read, plus a small fan to turn on if you get warm (I thought it was very pleasant, most nights had a low of 74 or so). The outdoor shower is always fun and the water was very warm. I really enjoyed both places I stayed and it was nice to have a little variety.

Of course, I will need to go back to Bosque del Cabo to get that puma sighting (one day), but with a place like this, that is no hardship and I will do it gladly. Thanks again to the staff and Owners for the wonderful time that we all had.

Room Tip: It's really impossible to go wrong, all the cabinas I have either stayed in or looked at I would...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank midori
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Although my last visit was in January 2012, TripAdvisor will not let me select a date that far back. We will be returning in January 2014...
Having visited many eco-resort type places, all that I can say is that Bosque is something special. So special in fact that it is the first spot that my family has ever decided to make a return trip. Usually we like to explore something new each time, but we all agreed that this place is too special not to visit again.
It is true that it is not a beach resort. It sit high above the ocean and the walks to and from the beach can be both long and/or difficult. However, the beaches are beautiful.
The forest trails offer some of the best wildlife viewing that I have ever experienced. Better than some of the national parks in CR. The staff biologists lead great interpretive tours. I highly recommend the night time tour of the grounds and the base level tour of the trails with Phillip. Birding is great too.
The staff seem to be longterm employees which always speaks well for a place, and the dining room happily accommodated my need for gluten free food.
If you are interested in surfing lessons, don't miss out on Pollo's Surf School. The resort can reserve lesson times and will give you a ride to the beach. We were all beginners and everyone had fun!

Room Tip: Our family of five stayed in Casa Miramar. It is an open layout with large decks overlooking the Pac...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FrmWhrEvrIAm
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I went to Bosque del Cabo for our honeymoon in May 2013. The staff was truly exceptional. They were able to arrange multiple activities for us daily with no problems. They were very attentive to our needs. The rooms were very comfortable and romantic. We stayed in a deluxe cabina with ocean views and an outdoor tiled bathtub. The food was AMAZING. It was better than most food you would get at a nice restaurant in the US. They can work around any dietary restrictions you have.

Philip, the biologist who lives at the resort, took us on multiple tours and hikes over our stay. His primary forest tour and sunset tours aren't to be missed!
Bosque del Cabo is a slice of paradise and worth every penny. You will not see as much biological diversity anywhere else as you will here.

While at the bar one afternoon, I met an American ex-pat who works at a nearby resort. She comes to the bar at bosque del cabo on her days off, and she told me that it was truly the most beautiful resort in the area, and where she likes to spend her time.

The beginning of May is a great time to go. It is the beginning of the rainy season but hardly rained on us at all. There was only one other couple at the resort with us, so we basically had the place to ourselves.

If you want to have the best vacation of your life, go to bosque del cabo.

Room Tip: Mariposa suite is great for honeymooners!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine C
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

This was one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Luckily, every other room at the resort was taken, so we got a suite type room that was about a half mile away from everything else. You had to hike through the forest to get there. At first we thought it would be bad to be so far from everything, but we soon realized it was great because on your walk you would see monkeys and poison dart frogs moving around above and beneath you. There are also hundreds of acres of land with trails for hiking in the jungle, which were wondrous. The staff there are very nice, and the birdwatching tour guide is like a wizard with his knowledge of bird calls and ability to see what seems to be every bird in the forest. An unforgettable experience. If you are a light sleeper, you might be woken in the morning by the howler monkeys and the birds calling from every direction, but that's all part of the experience that makes the Bosque del Cabo unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wootbean
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Spent 5nights at Bosque del Cabo in "congo"' , views from our deck of howler monkeys, white faced capuchins ans squirrel monkeys. Countless birds and butterflies and the ocean at your doorstep. This counts as one of the must dos for anyone visiting that area, the lodge is kept very clean, which is a hard ask when you are in the jungle, staff are all very knowledgable and helpful.
Our trip to costa rica from the uk was arranged by wildlife and wilderness, who used local agent camino travel, they were fantastic, all transfers went to plan and we were very suprised to have the same driver throughout, he drove 5 hours from san jose to bosque del cabo to collect us and transfer to Uvita. Highly recommend both Bosque del Cabo and Camino Travel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thompsons_hols
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Bosque del Cabo was the perfect place to stay on the gorgeous Osa Peninsula. We stayed in 2 different beautiful cabinas, one with a high thatched roof, both with incredible ocean views. We hiked daily on both difficult and easy trails and saw a vast variety of birds, mammals, and frogs, none of which we had ever seen before. Some trails lead to the ocean and deserted beach. We watched 4 different species of monkeys swing from trees just by sitting on our chairs on our deck. We paddled with dolphins on our kayak trip.
The staff at Bosque del Cabo are wonderful. I have Never stayed in a place where across the board the staff were so warm and helpful. The guides are incredibly knowledgable and Phillip's Primary Rainforest hike is a must. The food is good and healthy. Ten days at Bosque del Cabo was not enough!

Room Tip: All cabinas are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Cativo Lodge
Playa Cativo Lodge
#1 of 12 in Golfito

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!