Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
El Remanso Lodge(Osa Peninsula)
  • Breakfast included
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
  • Breakfast included
Casa Bambu Resort(Cabo Matapalo)
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
View Hotel
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)
  • Breakfast included
Oro Verde Hostel(Puerto Jimenez)
View Hotel
All reviewspacific trailsuspension bridgebreakfast and lunchresident biologistdeluxe cabinaother guestsscarlet macawshiking trailscosta ricatide poolsprimary forest tourtropical gardenanimal sanctuarymaintained trailssunset tourowners phil and kimtree climbing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2008

WOW! What a trip to beautiful Bosque del Cabo. We stayed there in Casa Blanca, a home just perfect for couples or whole families. It is located above the ocean and just perfect to sit on the porch and watch the Pacific Ocean.
The whole area, the 750 acres, is so safe to be at. Its on the south-west tip of the Osa Peninsula so only the us visitors are there and everything we need is there also. The food fantastic, nice pool, great guided tours, wonderful rainforest trails and more. Plus the friendly macaws, toucans, monkeys and birds love to visit on the trees. They love Bosque del Cabo too! The whole area is a pristine wilderness filled with flora and fauna.
I am going back again its PARADISE!!!!

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank MaryAnnGuzenski
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Well, I can't say very much that hasn't been said about BDC. I think that the last reviewer hit the nail on the head. I will try and comment on the items that stood out.

Location:
Great location. Stunning grounds. The trees and other plants are all enormous. Think Jurassic Park (but replace dinosaurs with monkeys).

Food:
The food was quite good. I found the breakfast a little repetitive and found myself eating pancakes a few too many times. Lunch was good, but it also was a little repetitive. There are a few breakfast and lunch menus, but they contain many of the same items. By the end of our 5 night stay, we was ready to eat at a different place. Dinners would change every night, and there was a bunch of different items to select from. Overall, we were quite content with the food, and we always found something that we were happy to eat.

Wildlife:
Not much can be said that hasn't been said. We did see 2 PUMAS though!! Tiki trail in the morning. Highlight of BDC.

Beaches:
Wow. Spectacular. The golfo dulce beaches are quite incredible. They are a good hike, but worth it. If you are older/not in the best of shape, you may want to arrange for a ride back. BRING LOTS OF WATER. (we didn't;). The pacific side is much more accessible, and not swimable. You can lounge in the tide pools.

Staff:
Fantastic.

Tours:
Very wise to do at least a couple of tours at the beginning to get a feel for the place, and now what to look for.

What else can I say? Go.... enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank cash_traveler
Reviewed 17 June 2008

All the reviews of this place were so great that my only worry was that it wouldn't live up to my expectations - I'm pleased to report that it more than lived up to its reputation.

As long as you know what you're getting into - a cabina in the rainforest, you'll be fine. That means if you go during rainy season might be wet a good share of the time, you'll be muddy if you go exploring, you might find some interesting critters in your cabina, your clothes will stink and if you want to visit the beach you'll be descending some steep trails to get there (and ascending them on the way back). But if you have a sense of adventure and can roll with it - do not miss this place.

The property is beautiful and our deluxe cabina was clean, spacious, with rockers and a hammock overlooking the ocean, and had hot water in the garden shower. The trails on the property and down to the beaches are all well-marked and well-maintained. The beaches are clean and uncrowded. The food was fresh, local, and awesome - breakfast and lunch off a short, but diverse menu, and a great dinner buffet to refuel at night. The property is so large it never seems crowded, and we found a lot of adventurous, like-minded, cool people to dine with at the main lodge.

Best of all is the staff that Phil and Kim have assembled. Every one of them is dedicated to making sure you have a great experience. Try out some of your Spanish with them - they seem to appreciate it and are willing to help you out.

There are lots of tours and extras to choose from, but there is absolutely no pressure from them to sign you up. Instead I think they just seat you together at dinner and word of mouth from the other guests easily sells them. A couple of "can't miss" tours are the rainforest hike and the sunset tour with Phillip, the resident biologist. The rainforest is amazing, but you'll appreciate it even more with the information he has. Listen carefully or you might miss one of the jokes he's been known to slip in. We also did the mangrove and gulf kayak tour - highly recommend. The surf lessons were fun, but it's a lot of work and you can get beat up a bit. Nothing that a massage from Jutta couldn't fix. I recommend this at the end of your stay - she'll send you home completely relaxed and with a good vibe - not to mention the experience of watching monkeys and macaws during the massage.

Well worth it!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trvin
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We spent 2 nights in Casa Blanca at Bosque del Cabo.My parents my
mother in law (73 years old),my husband, and my sons 7, 16, years old.

We originally booked this cabin for whole week. First impression of the house was dirty and shabby everywhere you look. Toilet seats were not changed for long time and it was bubbly and color was peeling off. Both showers were the same and if you try to take the shower water was sprinkling everywhere, even from the pipe linked to the shower, so the counter got wet from the leaking pipe. Doors for the bedrooms and living room was not possible to fully closed so all insect could easily fly inside.

When we came to our bedroom, 2 roaches were on the pillows. We sprayed the roaches, turn the pillow over and went sleep. At night when I woke up, roaches were crawling on my arms. Next morning my mother was trying to make coffee She empty the coffee kettle and
pour out roach, I am glad we did not cook in it the coffee. At that point my mother in law decided to spent another night in the car. We all decided that we will leave tomorrow. (Luckily we had the
car)

My husband and me talk to receptionist to inform her, that we are leaving tommorrow. She said that we need to talk to the owner. Over the phone my husband talk to her about all problems. We already paid for half of our stay, which supposes to be 1 week, and we will be
spending only 2 nites. We thought that it is fair. But She told my husband, that We should pay for 1 more night, which we disagree and told her, that we will not pay and we will be leaving tomorrow. She also suggested that she would provide discount for all food for rest of the week for all of us if we stay. (We did not have the meal plan,) She said that she is sorry that we are unhappy and that this is never happened before. She also said, that if We will report something on the Internet she would fight it.

We left next day early morning and spent rest of the week at Manuel
Antonio at very beautiful condominium at www.tropicalsunvillas.com. When we arrived to this condominium, We unpack our luggage and roaches were coming out. My son had one at toothpaste bag, my mom at her purse and rest of us just had a few between our clothing. When we settle down at the condominium it was our best day inCosta Rica.

At Bosque del Cabo you can see all wildlife you can imagine, trails are nicely maintained, staff was very helpful and nice. It is very quiet. But we felt that price for which is Bosque advertised, was way below our standard.

The Casa Blanca definitely needs face lift, starting with the door which need to be exchanged, so you can close the door, toilet seats needs to be exchanged, which I do not think is that expensive, shower and plumbing need to be replaced and blinds in the bathrooms needs to be restored..

We stayed in another 3 locations in Costa Rica, and We think that that this one was the only dissapoimtnent. I promised not to post any neg. review,but after chasing roaches in our luggage 2 days later I just simply changed my mind. My advice is arrive on the weels instead of fly.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank jilkovina
Reviewed 31 May 2008

If you're looking for overwhelming wildlife, dramatic views, friendly caring staff that go above & beyond, luxe rooms, an honest commitment to sustainability and great food - look no further than Bosque del Cabo. I've tried over the years to find other places that could come close and have stayed a very nice places but still none can compare which keeps me returning to Bosque del Cabo year after year.

Unlike previous solo trips, I visited this year with my father, who loved it just as much as I have come to. We stayed in a deluxe cabina, Tucan, which was perfect for us as it has a loft (with 2 beds) and a downstairs bed. The loft was easily accessible for my dad with stairs and was well ventilated. The cabina has a good-sized porch with plenty of chairs and a hammock, plus an additional uncovered patio area with a large wooden chair and chaise that looks out to the water. As with other cabinas on the property, much of our best wildlife spotting was right from the cabina - macaws, hawks, agoutis, tons of coatis & butterflies. Tucan has, like others, an outdoor shower (with hot water), and has a beautiful mosaic-type bathtub - a real treat to have a soak with the nature sounds all around you. The lodge is self-sustaining (there are no electric poles around!) and relies on hydro and solar for power, enough to run lights in your cabina, charge your camera batteries but not enough for power users like hair dryers. It is so relaxing to the mind & soul to have no light and sound pollution (past 6pm you will discover how dark it can get so always have a flashlight handy) and to sit and enjoy the stars & quiet after dinner.

The food as always was wonderful. Maureen the chef is always coming up with wonderful & tasty dishes, always including a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits that are great to discover. Breakfast and lunch are served during a time period and you can select from several choices on the menu - the tuna melt has always been a favourite. Everyone starts gathering at the bar around 5:30 or 6, to discuss the days adventures and nibble on appetizers; dinner, when the conch shell blows, is at 7pm, and can be sit down or buffet, always with plenty of choices to select from. You can go back to the bar for a night cap but usually by 9pm everyone is back at their cabins and off to sleep - the day starts early here with birds chirping & howler monkeys howling. Coffee is available very early (a big plus!) and it is a great time to take a quick walk around the grounds or on a trail to watch the wildlife start their morning as well.

The staff is top-notch and it is always a pleasure to see many of the same faces year after year. Everyone is friendly and eager to please, don't be surprised to be greeted my name around the lodge by your second day there. Cindy is doing a great job as Sustainability Coordinator, many things you see (and don't see) are making a huge effort in helping to preserve the area and keeping the ecological impact to a minimum. Philip, the biologist, has a great 4 hour Primary Tour that is a must - you may not remember all you learn but it is certainly eye-opening to learn so much about the rainforest and all of its inhabitants. My father enjoyed this walk immensely, it is long and hot but pretty easy hiking. The 45 minute drive from Puerto Jimenez and back is always an adventure and Frank or Kevin, the drivers, are constantly on the lookout for wildlife - just on our drive alone we saw squirrel monkeys, acaris, a sloth and had to pause to let a herd of cows go by.

The wildlife spotting on the grounds and on the trails is, I believe, second to none on the peninsula. There are over half a dozen trails to take, which you welcome to do as often and whenever you choose - one of the biggest pluses of the lodge imho. The trails are well maintained and frequently raked clean from start to finish. On our first hike on arriving, on the Titi trail, we saw all 4 species of monkeys, which isn't bad for an hour long hike. Also saw a pack of 10 peccaries on the Titi trail and a very lucky couple were privledged to see not one but two pumas and get fabulous photos which not only the guests but the whole staff were excited to see. Another great hike is the Golfo Dulce trail, most of the hike is gradually downhill and takes approx an hour to the beach access road, where you can meander about and visit all 3 beaches. The last beach, Pan Dulce, is the best one for swimming, there was only 5 other people on the huge beach when we were there and the water was great to cool down in. The lodge can pick you up at any time you wish nearby and take you back to the lodge; if you want to enjoy a lunch at the beach just mention it at breakfast.

We also took a side trip to the Animal Sanctuary which is across the Golfo Dulce. This is a wonderful trip where you will be greeted by monkeys that have been injured or were raised as pets so cannot be released in the wild; other monkeys & animals are being treated so that someday they may be released. I would take as little as possible on this trip and forego and jewelry or sunglasses, if you have monkeys crawling all over you like I did they are naturally curious and will try to relieve you of your belongings.

All in all, another perfect trip to Bosque del Cabo. The owners, Kim & Phil, have done an amazing job of creating this haven that provides the perfect mix of all the Costa Rica has to offer. They are constantly making small implementations that continue to raise the bar. I cannot recommend this lodge enough, although I try!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family