“Make sure this is the right trip for you”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is truly a lovely place but was just not the right vacation for us. We went with our son and his girlfriend who wanted an eco-lodge. The first night we arrived there was a 6 inch scorpion next to his bed. He killed it and the hotel was great about calming them down. Scoprions are give a nasty bite but are not lethal. The next morning the girlfriend woke up with ants all over her toothbrush and ants in her toiletry bags. She lost it! It was not the right fit for them and therefore made it more difficult for my husband and I.
I was fine, you just have to be happy with living in harmony with the bugs in your room. The top of the delux cabins is open and has a reed roof, there are screens on the front of the cabin that slide to cut down on the insects but do not close off. There will be ants, cockroaches, geckos, scorpions and such in your room and you have to feel comfortable with that.
While the bugs did not bother me the heat did. We picked a very hot and still week in March and the heat and humidity in the room at night was oppressive. There was a fan in the room but it was so loud we were unable to use it and were from noisy New York City. The water in the faucets is not safe for drinking so be sure and bring down extra water to your room as the one bottle they leave per day goes quickly if you are using it for both drinking and tooth brushing.
The high point of this hotel is the wildlife. We took a plane into the Corcovado Reserve and saw almost as many animals at Bosque as we did in the park. Do be advised that everything here is charged as an extra. Rides to the beach, group nature walks with the hotel guide and any special activities such as zip lining or tree climbing but it is well worth it.
Meals were tasty and the staff was lovely. Meals are served in a communal style were everyone sits at big tables all together then gets in line and gets their food. Lunch is only served at 12 and dinner at 7pm. Breakfast is only served from 7-9am so no letting the teenagers sleep in.
I think this is a great trip just be sure that your family is comfortable with the bugs and heat in exchange for a change to view great wildlife.

Room Tip: If you would prefer to cut down on the bugs ask for the newer room which closes off and has newer fa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jej9001

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed in "lapa 'cabin for 3 nights. It has a great view and I think it is more private than some of the others. However if you want to see a sunset this is not the best cabin in march . As many people have already said the food is amazing and so is the service. Wild life is abundant and the hiking trails are great. Diana the bartender makes excellent passion fruit martinis.
The not so good, the beds are too firm for my liking, If you don't do the hikes there is not much else to do out there on your own. Some guest with children made if difficult to relax around the pool. Marco Polo thing. Overall I would recommend bosque for anyone visiting the OSA.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Travelldog
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I cannot wait to visit Bosque Del Cabo again! Had the best time ever last November when I visited with a couple of friends. I normally don't like to write reviews but I felt the need to share this perfect vacation spot with others.
This place is beautiful just like the pictures show but more impressive to me is the high level of customer service that is given to each guest. I have never met any staff like the ones at Bosque who made sure you are well taken care of. Phil and Kim (the owners) please don't change a thing you guys have figured how to do it right! If there is anyone who is second guessing if this is the place for them please don't because I almost missed out reading the reviews and thinking this is too good to be true. I am sure glad to decided to visit and looking forward to visiting for many years to come.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Courtney B
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to Costa Rica in May of 2013 and stayed at Bosque del Cabo for 3 nights towards the end of a 10 day trip. It is definitely a bit of a splurge financially, but worth every penny. Neither of us had ever spent so much on a hotel, but it is really incredible what it gets you. All of the meals are delicious and included and I was thrilled with all of the healthy food (with great vegetarian options). It was served family style which was a nice way to get to know some of the other people staying at the small resort. The grounds are comparable to most national parks and maintained really well. There are so many trails to explore it would take months to see them all, but the few we hiked were beautiful and decently challenging. It really does feel like the middle of the jungle and the bio-diversity is incredible. Spider monkeys and capuchin monkeys were abundant and we saw them every time we ventured out. Brightly colored poison dart frogs of various varieties, huge trees, tucans, and scarlet macaws squawking as they fly were all visible from the balcony of our little cabina. It was amazing to walk out every morning and see a different tropical animal, what a treat!

I'll echo what others said about Phil's hikes; they are informative and well worth the time and money. I can't remember the last time I learned so much in an interactive fashion in only 4 hours. We also paid a bit extra for surf lessons taught by the "Chicken man" (he wouldn't tell me his real name) and those were also 100% worth the value.

The staff as a whole was hugely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable, and I really enjoyed getting to know some of them. The Osa peninsula is a beautiful and interesting place to live and they've got some great stories to tell. I highly highly highly recommend flying down there and staying at Bosque, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellericious
Reviewed 9 March 2014

All of the staff were polite and helpful, our regular servers even remembered our names which was nice and made for a comfortable stay. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept.

We stayed 5 nights - 2 in "Lapa" and 3 in "Tucan". The deck of Lapa had trees close all around and one morning we had capuchin monkeys swinging all around us (crazy!) Tucan had a wider ocean view and was cooler inside, it is also one of the few cabinas with an outdoor bathtub.

Our favourite hike was the Golfo Dulce trail that leads down to 3 beaches - Backwash beach is the sandiest and was best for swimming, though not as much shade as the other beaches.

The food was amazing! We weren't sure how it was going to work before we arrived, we only knew our meals were included. Breakfast and lunch are offered from a menu at a private table and dinner was served buffet style with different themes each night i.e. Italian, and we were seated at long tables with other guests. We weren't sure about dining with other people, but it turned out great because then we had people on the property to share our adventures with and get their opinion of the trails and activities.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I am coming back. Especially because I wanted to cry as we left. Only 4 nights felt like I had moved in with the the white faced, howler and spider monkeys. This property is glorious, unique, wondrous and delightful. The staff is sweet, helpful, friendly and so easy you feel like home. Arrival after a pick up and Costa Rican massage ride includes a quick orientation then off to your Cabina. Which overlooks the pacifico. Meals included are very good with an eye to fresh local ingredients. Plenty. The bar before dinner which is actually open 10 to 10 is great. All drinks Diana and Bernie made were delicious and as many as you want go on your Cabina. Take the four hour walk 8-12 with the on site biologist Phil Davison and learn more about what you do and don't see that will then see. Then trail walk your butt off and see it all. Agoutis, iguanas, the aforementioned monkeys by the 100s, flocks of very species of birds with the requisite scarlet macaws screaming by and incredible toucans, and on and on. Climb down the pacific trail to the phenomenal tidal pools and walk on down and up the creek to the waterfall. You can leave Bosque and horseback ride, kayak, zip line whatever. But just being there for the 6-7 night walk and realizing that the red bat was right above your head in the dinner pavilion the whole time is just plain amazing. So I cannot say enough. Prepare to have rigorous walks. Not for the feeble. Owners Phil and Kim Spier have created out of what could have been a biodiverse disaster a biodiversity Eden. To Learn about the organism that is the leaf cutter ant colony is to understand how important is not to cut down the rain forest. One TA reviewer said that her had never met so many like minded people on vacation. Ditto here. And as always in the jungle look up. But remember to always look down first.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

already decided to return next year. awesome adventure - felt like i was living in a zoo (with no cages) for 9 days. enjoyed the family style seating for dinners - was fun! booked a yoga class that was really good. trails were well maintained & extensive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!