“Can't wait to go back”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, NY
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Recently returned from 5 unforgettable nights at Bosque. From the moment we arrived, we could tell it was a special place. We woke up the first morning to the sound of howler monkeys overhead. A black and green poison dart frog was hopping around our outdoor shower and a pair of macaws was perched in a tree above our deck chairs. That’s the thing about the place – you’re not in a hotel near a rainforest, you’re in a beautiful cabin right in the middle of the rainforest and it’s alive all around you. We did a ton of hiking while we were there, but often the best wildlife sightings were just feet from our cabin. While there, we saw 4 species of monkeys, coatis, agoutis, snakes, frogs, lizards, toucans, and macaws. On a boat trip in the bay and up a river, we saw alligators, dolphins, a sea turtle, and more.
The staff were all warm and welcoming. Guided hikes were informative. The food was uniformly fantastic, as were the cocktails! Bosque attracts a great group of guests – interesting folks, willing to make the trip to this relatively remote location. Getting to know our fellow guests was a highlight.
The owners, Kim and Phil, have created a truly special place. It’s relaxing in a way I have not experienced on other vacations. So many people on Trip Advisor seem to have returned to Bosque for multiple visits. I totally understand why. We’ll be back.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong, but we stayed in Mariposa and loved it.
2 Thank JBC747

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our third visit to Bosque and it was our best trip yet!! The hike to the waterfall was easier than in the past. It made for an easier excursion, with grandparents in tow. We saw more monkeys and dolphins than on previous trips, and we have always seen A LOT!! The food is always exceptional. My new favorite drink is lemonade with ginger. My children are 11 and 14 and can't get enough of the pool at Bosque. This year we went kayaking on the Gulfo Dulce and LOVED it!! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our stay here was absolutely incredible. If you're looking for acres of neon, you won't find that here - you'll find 750 acres of rainforest and animals. I can' say enough positive things about this place - it's just incredible. The staff were always there with a smile, the owners mingled about offering tips and ideas, telling stories. The communal meals were fantastic - I loved getting to know the other visitors and the food was delicious - among the best meals we had in Costa Rica. The Osa Peninsula is a bit off the beaten path but well worth the journey. We hope to be back again some day!

1 Thank Mike H
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am not the type to revisit even if it is a great place because I love exploring new places. Bosque del Cabo actually makes me want to come back! I loved seeing the animals go by, and you can tell that they aren't there because people feed them (like the ones in Monteverde), but they are just passing by. I loved the ambiance, the accommodations, the service, the 750 acres of land. I would be HAPPY just hanging out at the hotel in different areas. I really miss that place, and I've never said that about a hotel! Phil and Kim are wonderful owners! I plan on coming back with my future kids.

2 Thank daredevel7
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Let me start by saying I fell in love with Costa Rica 8 years ago and have returned once a year ever since. Because I love researching extensively I was lucky enough to discover this out of the way gem, Bosque del Cabo, on my first trip and even though there are several other places I love going back to this is the only lodge I’ve made sure to include every single time. There are really no words that can describe it well enough. It’s just magical. From the time you touch down on the landing strip by the cemetery, to the 40 minute drive on a bumpy road with stream crossings, to entering the driveway where you have your first “AAAAAH” moment, and everything thereafter…it’s simply bliss. I’ve been here solo, with my tween daughter and with friends. Each time was just as wonderful as the next and there is something there for everyone. This trip included 8 nights at BDC in Casa Blanca, but prior stays were in different cabinas and Casa Miramar. All are wonderfully unique with spectacular views. Besides the views you will find all the accommodations to be nicely appointed with tasteful décor, comfy furniture and bedding, nice cross breezes on the bluff, and awesome outdoor showers (some with huge outdoor stone tubs). I will admit that Casa Blanca is my favorite thus far with its gorgeous woodwork, outdoor decks with plenty of tables and lounge chairs and hammocks overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The kitchen is fully stocked with the necessary housewares, there is a spacious living room for indoor visiting, plus two bedrooms and two full baths. The baths have the partial height walls with no ceiling so you can shower or bath in the stone tubs while watching wildlife all around you. So awesome! This trip, we had monkeys in the trees directly next to Casa Blanca literally every day, usually at least twice a day. The grounds were full of Toucans, Macaws, Caracaras, Crested Guan and a large variety of other birds plus Spider monkeys, Capuchins, Howlers and Titis (I did not see the Titis this trip, but have several trips before and other guest saw them while I was there). We also saw a Tayra, lots and lots of agoutis, snakes, frogs and Coatis. There really is so much wildlife around you that every minute of every day is filled with new sightings and surprises. All over the grounds in the trees that have fruit, nuts or beans you can literally stop and watch for several minutes or more at a time. It’s really quite amazing! The “human food” is more than plentiful with numerous selections on the menu for breakfast and lunch, all fresh and delicious. Dinner is themed fare, served buffet style, loaded with various vegetables, starch and protein options, probably 10 or so dishes every night plus soup and dessert brought to your table. Dinner is top notch, and seating is family style which is a great way to meet people, share stories and discuss sharing tour costs. There are also snacks available after lunch and happy hour tapas before dinner. YOU WILL NEVER GO HUNGRY! We hiked every trail, some several times, except the Creek Trail which was flooded so we could only go so far. The two trails to the beaches are probably my favorite, but I love them all because they are spectacular in their own way and unique in the flora and fauna you will see, in addition to the length of the trail and intensity level. Again, there really is something for everyone. A typical day for me consists of waking up at 5:30am, lounging on the deck having coffee and watching wildlife, breakfast around 7:00am, hiking, lunch, pool, hike, dinner, lounge and bed by 9:00pm separated by probably 3 showers a day, seriously, and taking lots and lots of pictures. Last, but not least, the owners Kim and Phil are 100% hands on and show utmost concern for the happiness of their guests in order to make sure everyone has the best time possible. Their dedication to sustainability and preservation has been proven by successfully earning 5 Leaves for Sustainable Tourism, the highest award and accomplishment possible. In addition, many of the amazing staff have been there since my first trip. They are like friends and family to me now and another reason I feel so fortunate to have discovered this wonderful place. Pura vida. You really must just go…

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank storm_puravida
Boston, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband, two teenage boys (17 and 19) and I just spent a week here staying in "Casa Coco" and it was absolutely perfect. I was looking for somewhere that we could get away from screens and usual life, and have a bit of adventure without sacrificing all comfort, luxury or good food -- and Bosque del Cabo delivered! The house had amazing porches and comfortable chairs from which we could watch monkeys in the trees and all manner of other creatures, and look out to the ocean and hear the crashing waves. The beds were comfortable, the showers very acceptable, and the house beautifully decorated. When we wanted meals made for us we could go to the lodge where the drinks and food were delicious. There is more than enough to do: we climbed and repelled from a tree, surfed, took a night hike (scary toads, snakes and spiders) and bathed in a natural ocean jacuzzi along the edge of the Pacific. The staff is really helpful and friendly, and the guides are really knowledgeable and interesting. The vibe of the place creates a friendly atmosphere even between the guests -- you'll make new friends! Wish I could go back right away.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent. I have to laugh at the question about noise level, though -- you will...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy C
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a great time, again at Bosque del Cabo. After visiting another resort in the area multiple times, we tried Bosque Del Cabo last year when we visited the Osa peninsula. It was very nice last year, so we thought we would try it again. Wow, this place does not disappoint. Our room was very nice, the bathroom and shower was beautiful and we had a forest and ocean view. We love the food, breakfast, lunch and dinner and were able to maintain our healthy eating habits - due to their great choices. The grounds are perfect, we saw agoutis, cotimundis, curassows and scarlet macaws on the walk from our cabin to the main building ! Everyone we met at Bosque del Cabo was fully enjoying the amenities. People were surfing, hiking, running the trails, kids were playing in the ocean (a little hike to get there), taking the night hike with Phillip (the great guide) and enjoying the pool. The rain storms that blew through quickly were spectacular and added to the ambiance of living in the rain forest. We will return !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
#2 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!