“We Love Bosque, it gets better every visit!”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ohio
“We Love Bosque, it gets better every visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had quite the trip earlier this month to Bosque. We have been fortunate enough to have traveled there several times before. The various accommodations are wonderful. This trip our entire family joined us. We had Casa Blanca and Casa Mariposa, both spotless as usual, extremely comfortable and those killer views! It's hard to improve perfection, but somehow Bosque does. Since our last stay, Casa Blanca has been completely renovated, updated and more. As I said, perfection is the name of the game at Bosque. The grounds are so beautiful and lush, there is always something to see here.
On previous visits, we have always enjoyed the communal dinners at night with the other guests, but our family was a group of 8, so our socialization with the other guests was limited. The other guests are always delightful to talk to and meet. We were joined this trip by both of our daughters, son -in -laws and two grandchildren. One daughter and her family had not been to Bosque before, they were amazed and loved every minute. At Bosque the food is so very good, always a wonderful meal ! This year we were pleased to see various menus at breakfast and lunch, something different daily. Our grandson is a true Tico, he devoured daily the black beans and rice. Sweet Heylin and Rosie did not even ask what he wanted, they knew just to bring the usual to him. Dayana went out of her way to make just the right smoothies for them especially our granddaughter. before dinner, we would go up to the lodge and have happy hour , Dayana kept all of us in drinks and snacks.
We had great birding and monkey sightings. We saw all 4 monkeys, Mono Titi, Spider, Capuchins and Howlers. I truly love hearing the howlers early in the AM. The monkeys are everywhere, they were in the mango trees by the lodge every day. We saw sloths, a Tayra, we were very excited to see the peccaries. Scarlet macaws in our front yard, toucans and more! We did hike every trail, some more than once. Always a critter sighting along the way. We loved the new overlook on the point off of the Creek Trail , our daughter and son in law at Casa Mariposa walked over before dawn a few times and sat and watched the jungle come alive as the sun came up. As I said, they somehow improve perfection.
We had the usual excellent night hike with Phillip. He can tell you anything about the trees, animals on the grounds, he is truly so knowledgeable , ask away, he will know the answer. The g-kids loved it, bats, frogs, snakes, what more would a kid want? Four of us zip lined and tree rappelled with Philipp. What made it interesting, is that he gives you a very educational talk as you hike to the site, about trees, growth of the forest , and more. I zip lined with both g-kids (11 & 7) and son in law. Phillip and Anibale went out of their way to make sure that we all understood and that we were safe at all times. It was fun, but once was enough for me, the other three did it several times. We had our usual massage by Jutta, she does have magic fingers! Under the trees watching monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans etc. Perfection!
We did an early morning birding hike with Carlos, he is so good in seeing and hearing birds we would never have seen. We also did the Golfo Dulce, Rio Esquinas boat trip to the Animal Sanctuary with Carlos. It was like a private tour, no one else but us on the boat, we were surrounded by dolphins, the day was beautiful! What more could one ask for? Carlos and the boat captain went out of their way for us. The lodge had packed lunch, we spent it on a deserted beach , then played in the water!
A once in a lifetime event for us was being in CR during the World Cup. The country was alive with World Cup Fever. Owners Phil and Kim arranged for the staff to take the afternoon off to go down the road to a small local bar to watch them play Netherlands. ( No TV at BdC) They said any of us that wanted to go , be at the lodge at 1PM. Most of the guests did go, we packed in trucks and the Range Rover and off we went. What a day it was, small hot open bar with 2 TV's, packed with loud and excited locals and tourists. Thanks Phil and Kim for taking all of us. In spite of the loss it was an amazing day.
One thing about Bosque is the staff, we missed seeing some of the staff that had been working at BdC on our previous trips. Phil told us where some had gone, marriage, family duties etc. Well the new group is just as special. Each one as nice as the next. Being greeted every morning by Heylin is a wonderful way to start the day. And Rosie and Dayana are wonderful! Carlos, Phillip and Jutta make BdC even better.
We had a few rainy nights, one afternoon of rain and other than that the weather was hot and sunny every day. We are usually at Bosque in May, so we weren't sure what to expect. But it was beautiful. Almost always had the pool to ourselves when we were not on the trails. The family had Happy Hour nightly on Casa Blanca's deck, watching the spectacular sunsets. We spent a week and it could have been longer! I'm already wondering how soon we can go back!

On a note regarding how children will do at Bosque. Our grandchildren loved Bosque, hiking the trails with no problem. They became quite adept at seeing the various birds and monkeys, they truly loved it. There was no fear walking the trails, our g-son , 11yrs, walked to Casa Mariposa alone to see his aunt and uncle. Our g-daughter who is 7, would walk across the drive to see her favorite monkeys, the capuchins. They felt very comfortable with the staff . Someone is always waving to you or stopping to say a few words. There were times that the kitchen would prepare them something special; pasta, omelets , whatever they wanted. The staff went out of their way to be sure the kids were happy. I can't say enough how much we love Bosque! Hope to be there sooner than later!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank parrmt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

What words do you use to describe paradise? Peaceful. Serene. Relaxing. Reflective. Fulfilling. Amazing. Awesome. Unimaginable . Those are just a few of the words that describe our stay at the Bosque del Cabo ecolodge in July.

We arrived as part of the Nature Conservancy organized tour group and from the time we checked in to the time we sadly drove away, we were treated like royalty. The accommodations were clean, comfortable and situated in the midst of the howler monkeys, scarlet macaws, and coatimundi. Some of the best photographs taken by our group were from the patios of the cabins. One early evening while walking to the restaurant for dinner, we counted 34 coatimundi parading across our path. Yes, it is an ecolodge!

From breakfast in the morning to dinner after dark, every meal was fantastic. There was no lack of variety and one evening the chef prepared a special birthday cake for one of our tour members. By the second breakfast, the wait staff knew us by our first names. They were attentive and highly efficient, to say the least. Take for example, the bartender who went that extra step when I ordered a guava margarita. After taking my order, she disappeared only to reappear with two guavas moments later. She simply walked outside, picked them from one of the nearby trees, and made my drink. Now that is what I call fresh!

The hiking trails and beaches at Bosque del Cabo provide every level of hiking and adventure you could want. Some of the hiking trails are nearly level, many others are not. Even well-conditioned hikers can find a challenging trail. All the trails display an incredible variety of flowers, trees, insects, birds and of course, monkeys. Monkeys are everywhere. We sighted all four varieties of Costa Rican monkeys within a mile radius of the compound. The grounds are truly a naturalist’s dream come true.

We spent four days in paradise. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer. Next time we will!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gary H
Lockport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I've recently returned from the incredible Bosque del Cabo rain forest lodge. The Osa peninsula is the most unspoiled and pristine area of Costa Rica. I've been visiting the Osa for many years and have stayed in a number of facilities throughout the region. Bosque del Cabo is without a doubt the crown jewel of them all. The cabinas are clean, beautifully designed and overlook the Pacific. The food is first-rate and abundant. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.Numerous activities await the adventurous traveler or one can simply relax in a jungle paradise. Wildlife sightings are so numerous, easily accessible and diverse that it's almost unbelievable. If you're looking for a unique and unforgettable vacation experience, Bosque del Cabo will not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rudy E
Holyoke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent a glorious week at BDC and loved every minute. I felt exhausted when I arrived, and was met with a ginger lemonade. I prepared myself for the check-in process, but instead was asked if I would like to have lunch first. The superb staff met my every need. BDC serves 3 marvelous, tasty, fresh and healthy meals daily. I looked forward to each one. I have never felt so well taken care of in my life! I chose this lodge for its excursions and never felt disappointed. The guides far surpassed my expectations. I went waterfall rappelling, tree climbing inside a strangler fig, and horseback riding. BDC also offered several birding tours, as well as other tours to help one acclimate to the rain forest. The hikes were always exciting, offering stunning views and a private beach! It felt as though I were a guest in the animals' kingdom, as monkeys swung through the trees, macaws flew by several times daily, outside my cabina. The agoutis and coatis also made their appearance. In addition, BDC is a model for sustainability. The big name hotels could learn many lessons from these folks. The lodge runs on solar power, so leave the blow dryer at home! Not for the feint of heart, but if you're ready for a great adventure, BDC delivers.

Room Tip: Mariposa cabina has an outdoor bathtub, big enough for two to fit comfortably! Screened windows and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am a professional wildlife, nature and landscape photographer and recently returned from an eight day stay at Bosque del Cabo. Perched atop the cliffs of the Osa Peninsula overlooking the Pacific Ocean and situated on almost 800 acres of lush rain forest, Bosque is a perfect destination for naturalists, photographers and those seeking the absolute beauty of Costa Rica. Four different species of monkeys are swinging through the trees feeding and playing daily. Birds such as macaws, toucans and parrots are always flying above. I had a rare sighting of a three-toed sloth and, although I did not see it, there was also a puma roaming one of the trails that I was on. There are hundreds of species of trees, reptiles and insects. The cabinas are large, comfortable and luxurious. All of your senses are stimulated by the constant sights, sounds and smells of the rain forest. The owners, Kim and Phil, have done an incredible job in preserving the natural beauty of the rain forest while offering an eco-lodge that is first rate in location, comfort, food, service and ambiance. I intend to return to Bosque and am also considering offering a photo workshop there sometime in the future. I highly recommend Bosque del Cabo for anyone wanting the ultimate eco-lodge rain forest experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew L
North Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I traveled to the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica this past May for a ten-day getaway to celebrate our one year anniversary. While the majority of the trip would consist of lots of hiking and rainforest trekking, we wanted to be sure to plan something more relaxing and romantic for our actual anniversary day and night. On the high recommendations of several family members who have stayed at Bosque over the years, we decided to book one night (that turned into two on the basis of what follows).

The service provided by the warm Bosque staff left nothing to be desired. They offered to pick us up from our uncle's property, a few estates away from Bosque. Pick-up was punctual and friendly. Within ten minutes we were delivered to the beautiful grounds of Bosque. Upon arrival we were greeted with refreshing ginger lime sparklers, and then soon shown to our reserved private cabina.

We stayed in The Mariposa, a lovely deluxe cabina tucked away on the far end of the other private cabinas. A king-sized 4-poster bed was beautifully decorated with lush, vibrant tropical flowers to spell out "Happy Honey Moon." While it was not our honeymoon, it sure felt like it! In addition to the flower art, an overflowing grand bouquet awaited me in our cabina. After we perused our lovely quarters, we explored our private patio overlooking the ocean with two chairs and footrests. It was absolutely magical. The perfect perch for us to chat, doze off, bird watch, monkey watch, or simply enjoy the mesmerizing waves below. In short, we loved our accommodations!

Now on to all the other myriad things we loved about our experience at Bosque. First off, the food was magnificent. Breakfast, lunch, nor dinner disappointed. Favorites at lunch were the tuna sandwich with avocados and jalapenos (and freshly made whole wheat bread). Dinner was also delightful with the superbly grilled fresh fish. Meals were also made special with family-style dining at dinner, such that conversation could be enjoyed with other guests staying at Bosque. During our stay in May, there were 2-3 other couples, which made for a nice, intimate dinner.

Fortunately for us, there were loads of ways to burn some calories after enjoying all the great food: Bosque has countless well-marked trails to explore solo, or to explore on organized hikes. My husband and I did a bit of both. One memorable jaunt was when we hiked down to the beach and swam in the tide pools. Steep hike down (and up), but well worth it! One favorite organized hike was the Primary Rainforest hike with Philip. He was quite knowledgeable, personable, and clearly passionate about nature, the rainforest, and Costa Rica.

In short, Bosque was wonderful, and it was quite difficult to leave after one day and night. So, we decided to stay for a second. I'm fairly certain it would have turned into a third and fourth had we not already had plans to hike out to Corcovado! We cannot wait to return to the Osa Peninsula, in large part in order to return to Bosque once again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QadiraH
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Recently returned from 5 unforgettable nights at Bosque. From the moment we arrived, we could tell it was a special place. We woke up the first morning to the sound of howler monkeys overhead. A black and green poison dart frog was hopping around our outdoor shower and a pair of macaws was perched in a tree above our deck chairs. That’s the thing about the place – you’re not in a hotel near a rainforest, you’re in a beautiful cabin right in the middle of the rainforest and it’s alive all around you. We did a ton of hiking while we were there, but often the best wildlife sightings were just feet from our cabin. While there, we saw 4 species of monkeys, coatis, agoutis, snakes, frogs, lizards, toucans, and macaws. On a boat trip in the bay and up a river, we saw alligators, dolphins, a sea turtle, and more.
The staff were all warm and welcoming. Guided hikes were informative. The food was uniformly fantastic, as were the cocktails! Bosque attracts a great group of guests – interesting folks, willing to make the trip to this relatively remote location. Getting to know our fellow guests was a highlight.
The owners, Kim and Phil, have created a truly special place. It’s relaxing in a way I have not experienced on other vacations. So many people on Trip Advisor seem to have returned to Bosque for multiple visits. I totally understand why. We’ll be back.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong, but we stayed in Mariposa and loved it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Cativo Lodge
Playa Cativo Lodge
#1 of 12 in Golfito

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!