“Fantastic week with nature”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North Carolina
“Fantastic week with nature”
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My spouse and I spent last week at Bosque del Cabo in Costa Rica and found it to be a fantastic experience with nature, experiencing the raw beauty of the Osa rain forest. Stayed in their Casa Blanca unit; it was clean, comfortable and relaxing.
We found the staff to be exceptional, consistently helpful and refreshingly friendly. The naturalists were very informative and provided insight that enhanced our stay with a new appreciation for the diversity of the rain forest. Took several side trips off premises and the staff's recommendations were exactly what we found.
The food was equally exceptional and a great deal of care both in preparation and quality was evident. Particularly liked the evening meals that were prepared by their Costa Rican chef, however all of the meals were very good and plentiful.
The 30 minute drive along the "unimproved road" from Puerto Jimenez was the only thing we would improve on.
We focus our travel on nature oriented trips and have been on several excursions in Alaska, Canada and the US, however this was by far the best experience we have ever had, both in accommodation and opportunity to experience the natural world minimally impacted by man.

• Liked — proximity to nature and the rainforest, followed by competent, helpful staff
  • Disliked — road to facility from airport
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LaiNC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
New York
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We heard about how great the Osa peninsula was before we found Bosque, but then read such positive reviews in guidebooks and tripadvisor we booked 3 days there. Every review was true- the property is beautiful and filled with wildlife. We were literally woken up by monkeys both mornings! Definitely take Phillip's night walk. We loved the waterfall repelling trip. The food is also terrific!! The staff took care of everything we asked-packing boxed lunch, planning our trips, and even tried to change our flight to a later time (we didn't want to leave!) We hope to be lucky enough to go back!!!

• Liked — wildlife!!
  • Disliked — No nightlife- but that's what we were looking for!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelcat77
San Jose, Ca
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We started our third family trip to Costa Rica at Bosque del Cabo. After all of the great reviews, we thought no way could it live up to our expectations, but it did! We stayed in the Tucan cabina with our family of four and it was perfect. My daughters (ages 5 and 7) each got their own bed up in the sleeping loft and my husband and I enjoyed the king bed down below. We could bird watch from our beds in the morning! There was so much to see there we didn't even need to leave the grounds and we still saw all four kinds of monkeys, scarlet macaws and toucans and so much more. One morning we took a birding tour with Carlos and saw the tail end of a tree frog mating in their watering hole. The photo won a contest but just seeing them was award enough. The food was also wonderful and I highly recommend this place!

• Liked — Surrounded by nature
  • Disliked — Everything was wonderful - no issues at all
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank monicarichards
Whitmore Lake, MI
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Bosque del Cabo was even better the second time around, and our first visit was perfect!

Our first visit was end of March/first week of April '08 with our then 17 & 13 year-old-daughters. We have taken many wonderful vacations, but this was one place we had to get back to.

I attended a photography workshop at Bosque this past December with my non-photographer husband. This time around I have photos that may do the Osa Peninsula and Bosque some justice.

The trails are wonderful, the wildlife is plentiful (white collared peccaries; howler monkeys; capuchin and spider monkeys; agoutis; coatis; tons of birds; and a lot more. The staff is very friendly and always helpful. The meals ... lets just say you will miss them when you leave (the kitchen staff is phenomenal).

Make sure one of the first things you do is the Rainforest walk with Philip. It is a crash course in Rainforest biology and you won't regret it. You'll have a greater understanding when you do the trails throughout your trip.

The surf lessons were great. My 13-year-old was standing up and rolling in on her first try. The trip to the animal sanctuary was well worth it (snorkling, too!). The masseuse on staff works wonders (according to my husband).

Upon leaving this time my husband kept telling the staff "un ano mas" along with his thank-you's. We've got to go back again so our daughters can experience King Louie (the 50-meter waterfall in the middle of paradise).

Thank you Phil & Kim for creating a spectacular oasis and resort experience with all your hard efforts. We will be seeing you again next year ...

• Liked — In the middle of heaven.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Kazmos
Calgary AB
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I spent two days at Bosque del Cabo this December and was swept off my feet. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life.

I arrived on the colectivo (a bus) from Puerto Jimenez and was met by a truck that took me and my luggage the 1.5 km to the reception and restaurant area. It is very charming, the whole thing is made out of beautiful, natural looking bamboo and wood and palm leaves.

After being met by a welcome drink, the receptionist, Gerly, showed me to my room (the first night, I stayed in Pizote). We walked through beautifully sculpted gardens on little stone pathways to the cabina, which was set up high on a bluff overlooking the ocean. It was gorgeous. There were two double beds inside with white linens accented with beautiful tropical flowers. Both beds had mosquito nets. There were windows all around the cabina that could be opened so the sun would shine right through. Beautiful!!

The bathroom was great as well, with a huge outdoor shower that you could see the ocean from.

I hiked a trail down to the beach called the Pacific trail which was really nice and not that hard of a walk.. well worth it though, at the bottom there are shallow tide pools when the tide is out and it´s awesome to just lie in them and relax a little bit though I recommend you bring your sandals because the rock does hurt your feet if you´re walking barefoot!

The food was great, lots of options for vegetarians and people who don´t eat certain things, the staff was very mindful of that. The pool area is also great, close to the bar and although not very big, it´s a very nice pool.

The second night I stayed in Almendra in the tropical garden.. a bit of a walk from the main camp but also very beautiful. You get to walk across a huge suspension bridge when you´re going from the main area to the tropical garden. Almendra is an open cabina (no screens) with a hammock and one double bed, again with a mosquito net. It also has an outdoor shower. It faces into the rainforest, again, very beautiful. I would however, recommend a good flashlight because my flashlight conked out partway through the walk from the restaurant to my cabin one night and I was a little scared walking through the darkness as it´s quite a ways and it´s a path right through the rainforest!!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank adrianacarmela
aspen
Reviewed 22 December 2008

I think the Osa is the best part of Costa Rica and I have traveled the country extensively.

When in the Osa I always stay at Bosque Del Cabo as I have found that year after year that it is unpretentious, exceptionally friendly,clean, fun, with attention to detail and lots of personal attention to the guests. The food is wonderful, varied and plentiful . There are more activities available than you can do and the lodge has the most abundant wildlife, beautiful flowers, and remarkable birds in the area.
But most of all I believe Bosque Del Cabo has captured the warmth and abundance and true spirit of the area.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bsgordon
Aspen, CO
Reviewed 20 December 2008

One of the most magical places I have ever stayed. The scenery, food, staff and wildlife were all exceptional. Romantic private cabinas with outside bathrooms and spectacular views of the ocean or jungle, with wildlife and birdlife in abundance everywhere you looked. Food and service are both superb.
Tours and trails could not be better. This is a place that is equally perfect for outdoor active enthusiasts and for quiet vacationers looking to relax. You can lay slothlike at the pool and view sloths, monkeys and scarlet macaws overhead or you can hike through primary rainforest, zipline or surf the breaks on the gulf side. Kim and Phil are the perfect hosts and work hard to run an extremely sustainable lodge and to restore forest and wildlife corridors in the Osa.
Thank you for the beautiful memories. We hope to be back to visit soon!

Stayed November 2008
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Cativo Lodge
Playa Cativo Lodge
#1 of 11 in Golfito

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!