“Fabulous, Once Again”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 March 2009

This was our second trip to Bosque del Cabo, and it was just as wonderful the second time as it was two years ago. Bosque has a fantastic location - it is beautiful, remote, peaceful, pristine, and full of wildlife. We had monkeys hanging around the trees right outside our cabina.

The walking trails are extensive, and there is something interesting to see no matter which one you take. Two of the trails lead down to almost deserted beaches where you can cool off in the water.

The staff at Bosque are so kind and attentive. It is hard to say goodbye to them when you leave. The food is excellent - try the banana pancakes for breakfast, the tuna melt sandwich, the curry chicken papaya sandwich, and the avocado sandwich for lunch. The drinks at the bar are always good - plenty strong and reasonably priced.

We love the fact that at Bosque, you spend so much time outdoors. The dining area is open-air, the private showers are outside, and you can sleep with your cabina doors wide open if you like. It is like luxury camping.

I cannot wait to return!

2  Thank gandmik

Long review of Bosque del Cabo

We just returned from our first trip to Costa Rica, which included a 4 night stay at Bosque del Cabo. WOW! What can I say that other reviewers haven’t already said???! This place is truly “paradise found” as they state in the brochure.

I will try to summarize our reactions/experiences/suggestions here (with some of my favorite photos of our stay there attached):

We stayed in Mariposa. Others have posted photos of the cabina itself so I won’t do that here. It was incredible. It’s the last one in the “row” and is adjacent to the forest… and maybe for that reason, we were treated to a troop of spider monkeys (probably at least 30 of them) that did a flying trapeze act for us, coming down from the jungle late in the day, one by one, and jumping from tree to tree down into a tree below Mariposa, where they evidently slept. It was spectacular. Had a great time photographing them (one photo attached).

For what it’s worth, we talked to many other guests, and everyone who had one of the ocean view cabinas was thrilled (and each one seemed to have different wildlife viewing opportunities). Note: the cabins out in the tropical garden area, as opposed to the ocean view ones, are really quite a little walk to get to, especially after dinner, on a lighted path through the jungle, up and down hills and across a steel bridge, etc. To be fair, Phil and Kim do note that in the resort info—but if you reserve one of the garden cabinas, be prepared for this.

Cabina:
Exceptionally clean and nice. I don’t know how they do it, given their location. I have to admit that I wondered before we arrived what kind of critters we might find attached to our mosquito netting that covered our bed each night…. But we hardly had a single bug (except maybe one or two very small ants on the floor) in the entire cabina. The windows of Mariposa have screens, but the doors are really just louvered shutters that slide open….and yet, no bugs whatsoever. We even left the doors open in the afternoons, and enjoyed the wonderful breeze from the ocean. Speaking of the breeze, they do have a small fan in the room (which was nice for us, since we like “white noise” to sleep by)… but we really didn’t even need it, as the sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep every night (and the breeze was very nice and cool).

Trails:
Outstanding. The maintenance guys are hard at work all the time, making sure the trails are groomed. We did every trail except the Zapateros trail during our 4 ½ day stay there (including our favorite, the Titi trail, about 4 times). Other than the Titi trail, we especially enjoyed the Golfo Dulce trail. That area of the rainforest is so beautiful, with all the enormous trees, and we saw and heard lots of wildlife. Note: there is an option of walking down the trail to the beaches, and then getting picked up at the beach for a ride back up…. Next time we go, we will do this. We decided to walk back up instead, and it was kind of brutal with the mid-morning heat, at least for us (and we’re not in bad shape). We did see a mama and baby spider monkey (photo attached) about 200 feet up in a tree on the way back though… so it was definitely worth our effort.

Wildlife:
Although this was our first trip to C.R., I can’t imagine another area of the country that is better for seeing wildlife. In my opinion, the Osa Peninsula is a MUST for any wildlife lover who travels to Costa Rica. We opted to do every hike without a guide (another great feature of BdC) and saw lots of wildlife on every hike. And these animals are truly wild, unlike other more touristy areas of Costa Rica, where animals hang out and beg for food, etc. We learned from some of the staff that a puma had been spotted around the grounds, each night for 3 of the 4 nights we were there. We never saw it (despite a small group of us going out to “find” it one evening after dinner—and a couple of drinks ;-) but it was an exciting reaffirmation that we were really in the jungle.

Food:
WOW! I don’t know how they do it. The food was the best we had anywhere in Costa Rica. I wasn’t sure how we would like the buffet/large group dinner theme that they do there, since we generally keep to ourselves. But it was actually really nice to chat with other folks during the dinner hour and share stories of the day’s activities. Service was exceptional for every meal too.

Other notes:
Berni, the wonderful bartender, was more than happy to let me buy a bottle of wine (naturally), and then he would keep it in their fridge with my name on it, so that if I didn’t finish it in one night I could do so the next evening (my husband is not a big wine drinker). We kind of got into a habit of going down to the bar late each afternoon, to retrieve my wine bottle (which Berni would put in an ice cooler for me) along with a couple of beers, and take them back to our deck, where we would watch the monkey show before dinner. It was really amazing.

Bosque del Cabo is a really special place. Natural beauty, laid back, friendly atmosphere, a real commitment to preserving the forest, and truly sustainable practices. If you can fit it in your budget, I would highly recommend it. We will definitely be going back to Costa Rica again and again to explore different areas… but our return trips will always include a stay at Bosque del Cabo.

4  Thank GeorgiaShutterbug
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We have been to Costa Rica 5 times. This lodge is very much like so many others but at a premium price. Almost everything said in the other reviews are correct...but you can get the same elsewhere for far less colones. All guided trips are extra, and as an example a one station zip line for about 120 ft located about 200 yds from the lodge..$45. Even a 1/2 hour tour of the immediate grounds cost!
1st lodge in Costa Rica that I have seen that dedicates over 1 page in the welcome book to tipping. Taking their advice really puts the cost of stay over the top. Meals are included but ice tea and coffee are your only beverages.
One other strange thing...1st place I have seen anywhere where the guide is not native. Here they have a Brit. Nice guy but I would prefer a Tico talking about his own country.

11  Thank timaq
Reviewed 27 March 2009

My partner and I were here for three nights in mid-March 2009. I don't really know what else to add that hasn't already been said over and over again, except that it was a truly wonderful place to be. The term 'heaven on earth' seems to fit pretty well.

Though the area was experiencing an unusually dry period (apparently no rain since the beginning of December), it was still beautiful with many wildlife sightings. The life around the ponds was a little scant, but other sightings more than made up for it (tucans; scarlet macaws; hummingbirds; spider and howler monkeys [didn't see capuchin or titi monkeys this time, though others did]; an armadillo; huge grasshoppers and a cucaracha; agoutis; pizotes; bats, snakes and spiders!) -- the list goes on.

We were a bit worried we'd be uncomfortable at night in the heat, but it cooled down a lot at night, there was an awesome ocean breeze, and the dryness contributed to a relatively low humidity -- so we were as comfortable as two peas in a pod at night (actually found myself pulling up the sheets at night). This was a welcome surprise.

Stayed in the Congo cabina. I'm hesitant to talk about it because I don't want to create too much competition for it the next time I make reservations! But, the view was out of this world -- incredibly surreal. The view made it difficult to get out on to the many trails, and probably contributed to our being a bit asocial on this trip -- but once you've seen it, you can't blame us. The deck was an amazing place to greet the day each morning, stretch, do some meditation. Just beautiful. But, for the record, I believe all of the cabinas in the main area have great ocean views and tons of wildlife around -- I'd be happy in any of them.

Everyone who works there is personable and easy to talk with -- definitely a high level of service (though I *think* we're pretty self sufficient once we get acclimated).

This would be a great place to travel alone to -- many opportunities to socialize. At the same time, there's no pressure (except maybe a little at the communal tables at dinner -- but it ended up being nice). Just a perfect place to unplug, unwind, get away from news and technology. Even if all you do is sit on the deck and watch the macaws and tucans fly by and the monkeys move through the trees, it's worth the cost and the notorious bumpy ride!

It will forever be where I turn to when I need a total retreat from day-to-day life. I feel very lucky to have stumbled onto it -- thanks to my fellow travel forum posters for revealing the secret!

3  Thank plumboy
Reviewed 22 March 2009

This lodge is extremely well maintained. They put a lot of effort into maintain the grounds, the trails, the facilities and the rooms. The house (Casa Teca) was very clean and maintained. The views of the garden were decent. The area probably had all four-monkey types, I only saw the white faced and spider and heard the Howler. They had Macaws and Toucans viewing was good but to high for pictures. The guide (Phillip) was very good he does a bird walk, forest welcoming, canopy tours and night walks and all are fantastic. He is definitely a one man asset to the lodge. The lodge was quite pricey and everything you do is an extra charge so it was fairly expensive but overall a great place. This lodge has many trails to walk and could keep you busy for a few days if you did them all. Getting to the beach was a little difficult as it required at least an hour walk/hike. - Not a good place for children.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie E
Reviewed 22 March 2009

It's hard to remember how many times we've been to BDC..I think this was either #8 or # 9. As has always been the case it was a glorious time. The weather was perfect for animal sightings and we saw plenty. This trip was my first sighting of a sloth and an anteater. Both were amazing. I also found a Little Hermit hummingbird nest and sat and was able to see the mother feeding the tiny babies. Fortunately I had the camera ready and "got it" on film. Then there was a hawk spreading it's feathers on the roof of the restaurant to dry them - another amazing sight. And the Great Curassow was very interesting to see.

One night we were fortunate enough to get to listen to a "big cat" conservationist talking about how they are trying to expand the territory of the big cats. She was very knowledgeable and makes you understand how everything in the rainforests affect us all.

We went horseback riding one day and that was fun..Another day we went down the Pacific Trail to the waterfall. We had been before to the waterfall...but never IN it. What a great way to cool off...It was a cold massage!!! Felt really good and then we were ready to head back UP the trail. We didn't get to the tidal pools this trip...saving that for next time (hopefully in August)

Each time we go to Costa Rica we travel to other spots, but we always come back to Bosque del Cabo...The people are so friendly and helpful, the food delicious and plentiful and the wildlife is always everywhere...I would advise you to take a hike with one of the guides. Philip is an excellent guide and knows ALL about the rainforest. He never misses a thing and makes sure you see it too...and Carlos is an excellent birder. I'll never understand how he can spot a tiny bird way up in the tree and then find it in the telescope!!! Amazing!!

Thanks to Kim and Phil (and everyone working there) for truly making BDC unforgettable. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bellrush
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We spent 4 nights in Bosque earlier this month and discovered paradise! it truly was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica and we can understand why so many guests return. Our cabin was private and set beautifully, overlooking the ocean, very romantic. We spent hours relaxing in our front porch, observing macaus, monkeys, coaties... The trails surrounding the resort are very well maintained, you can wander around on your own or take part in guided tours if you like. The food was amazing, organic, plentiful, best coffee ever (available all day long, with afternoon cookies...) and best Pina Colada! the staff are excellent, very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything is done for you to relax and forget everything. We loved the wildlife, the forest & the beach. Yes it is pricey but this truly was Pura Vida!

3  Thank LondonLola
#4 of 5 in Cabo Matapalo
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!