“Too beautiful for words!”

Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 June 2009

I read the reviews about Bosque AFTER my return home because I did not want to be too repititous about this incredible place. My family and I had never traveled to Costa Rica before, and you must make the Osa peninsula a part of your trip. This eco lodge is truly special, from the breathtaking views to the unbelievable hiking trails, we were captivated by our surroundings. We stayed at the Toucan cabina. It had a loft upstairs with two double beds for our ten and thirteen year old children. The rainforest gets dark at 5:30, but the hotel will give you solar flashlights if you need them (We had our own.) Since you are living in a rainforest, expect to see all kinds of insects everywhere. After the first evening, we were not bothered by the occasional ant/spider in the cabin (The first night my kids were suprised to see a caine frog in the bathroom-harmless. It is hot however at night without air conditioning, so if you need to sleep in a cooler environment, I would not recommend this place in June.
Philip gave us an incredible night tour and since he is a biologist who lives on the property, he is extremely knowledgeable and informative. Kim and Philip, the owners of Bosque, are gracious hosts. (Philip even helped me get in a fishing boat while I was trying to swim to it in the ocean!) Miguel is chef extraordinaire who was very kind to my ten year old daughter when I told him she liked to create deserts. The food at the lodge was the best we had eaten in Costa Rica-beautifully prepared. Miguel prepared a wonderful serviche from the fish my husband caught that evening and the guests enjoyed it too. It was nice speaking to other families from around the country each evening. But, there were two couples on their honeymoon who preferred to dine alone and everyone respected their privacy. It is a very romantic place.
We hope to return someday!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank teachpeach

Reviewed 10 June 2009

This is a wonderful resort to stay at. My wife and I went down there to see wildlife and relax. We ended up seeing everything we hoped to as far as wildlife goes. Our cabina, Congo, had the most amazing view one could hope for. Sitting on our deck overlooking the ocean with monkeys and scarlet macaws right there was awesome. We also went fishing on this vacation, which was pricey, but great. We caught sailfish, mahi-mahi, tuna, snapper and jacks. The cooks cooked up our catch for everyone to share that night. The food there is wonderful. We stayed there 7 nights and loved every meal. The service was generally great. We found Kevin to be an excellent driver/tour guide. He gave us wonderful info and seemed to genuinely care. I think he deserves a raise and a promotion!! Also, EVERYONE that stays here should take the primary forest walk with their excellent guide Phil. Phil is extremely knowledgeable and you won't be disappointed.

The only thing I can think of that might be unsettling for some would be the closeness to nature. But, you are in the middle of the rain forest, so expect to see a few bugs or spiders in your room. It may be a little unnerving the first, but we got over it quickly.

My wife and I found this vacation to be a wonderful adventure and it was exactly what we were looking for. Anyone staying in this area would do well to stay at this resort!!!

3  Thank Wiscos
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My wife and I came to the same conclusions, it was an excellent trip and we enjoyed every moments at the Lodge.
The environment is exceptionnal and the wildlife amazing.

Make sure you get a massage in the jungle, very nice and so relaxing

No T.V., no phone, no computer and no radio....The perfect set up to focus on the essence of life and enjoy the surrounding nature.

Not only did we enjoy our stay but we learn so much thanks to Philip and the guided tours.
Food was excellent, even managed to add a few kilos.

The walking trails are userfriendly and the indications are good. We managed to hike at least 1 trail a day.

The staff is very friendly and dedicated.

Diner is always interesting since you meet other guests and can get to know people from different places. Everyone we met were friendly and very nice.

Like someone mentionned in an other post, it is a tropical lodge so do expect to see insects, animals....It is the point of being there so be open minded!!!.

We will most certainly go back to Bosque, many thanks again to everyone.

4  Thank Mermoz66
Reviewed 1 June 2009

What can I say? You have probably read it all. Philip was an incredible knowledgeable tour guide. The food is incredible. The wildflife phenomenal. We had a great time hiking. I recommend timing the Pacific trail far enough from high tide that you can make it to the waterfal. It is beautiful, but the tide does come in quick and you can't make it back to the trail at high tide. Staff is so friendly and knowledgeable. I will never forget this vacation.

My one criticism is that while there are screens on the windows, all of the doors on our cabina had wooden slots, so that critters could easily crawl or fly right in. As fabulous as our stay was, it did force me to confront my fear of insects (which I expected). But if a visit from a large spider, or a scorpion, or other things that crawl will destroy your vacation, then this isn't the place for you. But if you are willing to push past your fear, it is well worth it.

4  Thank Aniek
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We (me, wife and 13 year old daughter) spent 10 days in Costa Rica and 6 of them at Bosque del Cabo. I won't repeat what others have said--it's all true. A wonderful--and in our experience, unique--place to spend a week.

I want to note that we almost passed it over because the web site does not begin to do it justice. More than anything, it was the reviews here that led to the booking.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank jonathan443322
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Wildlife all around you, great food, fantastic scenery, informed and helpful staff and chance to meet friendly folks from around the world - what more could you ask for ?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank eosruss
Reviewed 9 May 2009

i really wasn't sure what to expect with this lodge - the reviews were all great but the website didn't really convey the luxury of this place well so we took a chance. my husband and i really enjoyed our stay at this little eden. the lodge has been developed with love and passion and the cabinas and restaurant areas are beautifully presented, comfortable, clean and sit sympathetically into the surroundings. there's lots to do but our favourite activity was lying on the hammock on our veranda staring out at the ocean views and watching all the wildlife (we saw macaws, toucans, monkeys, humming birds, agouti, coati and more just from here). would highly recommend for a get away from it all escape (there's no way of communicating with the outside world from here!). Food is wonderful too and we really enjoyed the 'communal' dinners where you get to chat with the other guests - everyone we met was lovely.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!