“Island Gem”

Hotel Manapany Cottages & Spa
New York City, New York
“Island Gem”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Hotel Manapany was truly a gem in St Barth, It is super discreet, private, relaxing and cozy. The room was very clean and comfortable, you can hear the waves from every corner! The amenities are fully equipped with one of the best SPAs on the island. The beach is exclusive and usually it is empty, you feel you almost own it! The staff were extremely friendly and attentive, even the owners were kind and helpful. The food was also surprisingly good as it is quite hard to find on the island. Overall it was a wonderful time and I was so happy that I got to enjoy every moment there while escaping the cold from NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank MyInspireProject

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a painful but necessary review. We arrived at Manapany on April 18, 2014 and stayed for two nights in Room 116. We paid $439.85 per night.

Pros
• Nice and very service oriented staff.
• Recently renovated bathroom.
• Continental breakfast included (croissants, fruits, yogurt, etc.)
• Nice ocean view from the room balcony, pool and restaurant.

Cons
• 1 large, very alive, cockroach in the bathroom entrance.
• No internet service at the room, pool area or restaurant.
• Subpar room accommodations for the price. It smelled of Clorox and another unidentifiable weird smell.
• Motel atmosphere, bed mattress and linens.
• When they serviced the room they did not pick up trash from the bathroom.
• Run down facilities with the exception of the pool.
• Beach suitable for surfers not bathers, entrance full of rocks and rough sea.
• Humid (moldy) lobby with several non-working light bulbs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank GRM155
Houston Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

In January, my wife & I managed to brave the storms of the US Northeast and escaped Texas (oddly cold this winter, even in Houston) to get to the Netherlands Antilles on a week visit to St. Martin. We had planned to conclude our week with an overnight on St Barthelemy (St. Barth's), to check it out for ourselves as we'd heard and read many wonderful and enticing things about St. Barths from "virtually" travelling there over and over again via the internet.

We booked our stay using Booking.com's tool for listing availability and cross-referencing with Trip Advisor's reviews to select our place to stay. We decided upon Hotel Manapany, Anse des Cayes, very near to the airport at/in Gustavia. Be Warned! St. Barth's is EXpensive, witht he initial two capitals to indicate Extra. For example, our nightly tag to stay on St. Martin ranged by day in the mid $200s, averaging about $265/mnight, and Hotel Manapany was ~$850 for our night. Keep in mind, that's relatively low end in price for the island of St. Barth's, it's that pricey. Fun, though! Granted, we got a special through our San Francisco Exchange membership. It was not a timeshare exchange for our stay on St. Martin, but just a special rate. I think full price for staying where we were staying (Grand Case Beach Club) was approximately 400 per night. Take that for what it's worth.

We "were" going to be on St. Martin for five nights, then take the short-hop flight (described below) over to St. Barth's at the end of our week's stay. As events had it, we were delayed 4 days in just getting off the North American continent, and ended up flying into St. Martin, and the next day was our stayover on St. Barth's. So, a bit hectic, but again, worht the doing nonetheless.

Our hop to St. Barth's was extremely easy, as we left the airport at Grand Case on St. Martin, flying over on St. Bart's commuter airline (10-passenger, single pilot plane, total flight time less than 20 minutes including take-off/landing). From St. Maarten our departure airport was the Grand Case airport, (that airport code being SFG), and you land at the St. Bart's airport (code SBH). Let me diverge for a moment on why we took the short hop flight rather than traveling by charter boat, or by ferry. There are multiple fairies that run between St. Martin and St. Bart's each day. Review them for yourself here on Trip Advisor. There are two kinds, the foil kind multiple hulls, and the single hull kind. The foil type multiple hull ferries seem to be just as expensive as flying almost, and the single hull fees are between 40€ and €45 per person, one way. Compare that with the cost for flying (65 €, about $105 USD per passenger), taking into account the apparent high probability of needing to use what they call
on the ferry is the"vomit bucket" and you will see why I took my wife, who tends a bit towards motion sickness, on a plane. Besides, she got some fantastic pictures during the airport flight and airport transitions. A couple of the good ones are good enough to be attached, except I'm trying to give the Hotel Manapany its own due -- so no. All right, returned to review from this diversion… As to chartering a boat, if it's in your budget, Go For It, totally. Problem is, for a group of 4 or six, might be worth it to spend a grand to have a private speed boat run you across, but... $500 each for a couple? nah...

A very convenient way to obtain transportation on St. Bart's is to arrange for a car rental before you get there. They have plenty of services available to you, and a partner program with the St. Bart's Commuter Airline is TOPLOC, whose website you can access to rent one of the various number of types of vehicles directly from the St. Bart's Commuter Airline website. That website is easy to find, just type in that name on a Google search. I "think" you have to click on car rentals in order for it to take you to the TOPLOC site. Just as with anything else on St. Bart's, renting your car is going to be very expensive compared to pretty much anywhere else in the world. For example we rented a Suzuki Jimmy, at 35 €/day to 58€/day in high season (and… Of course since we were there in early January, high season it was for us!). Not that we knew it, or could tell by how many people were staying at, or rather were not staying at, Hotel Manapany. But, that's for later in the review.

Picking up our rented Jimmy, we left the airport looking for Hotel Manapany. Now we get interesting. If one is a moderately-accomplished driver-navigator, one is used to seeing road signs indicating the way. The signs change color and shape depending on what country you are in, but they are always there in most western nations, right? Well, not so much in the islands so be prepared for that and give yourself a bit of extra time to backtrack, turnabout, etc. Often the signs only indicate a street/road when one is coming from one direction and not the other -- making me think that the island has an invisible one-way round marking or something that the natives are taught in school and which they giggle about when they see a lost tourist! Ha! Anyway, that's one secret. If you think you should be near your turn, you probably are, just turn around and go bback the way you came and look for a sign you "missed" coming the other direction. The street sign that indicates the way to Hotel Manapany is like that.
Visible driving TOWARDS the airport, invisible driving FROM the airport. But, we found it after turning around only twice and one actual wrong turn. Also, be warned, lots and lots of steep inclines. Our Jimmy was a standard/stick shift model. Most of the rental cars available are, so be prepared for that. Remember how much fun it was, or rather wasn't, to pull up to a four way stop heading uphill with a stick shift? Lots of exhilarating exciting fun that is! Especially when you don't know where you're going. Lots and lots of nervous laughter, let me tell you!

Pulling into the drive and park area (smallish) at Manapany was picturesque in and of itself. Down the side of the hill one can see the beachfront, with the sailboats and yachts cruising around out there (I conservatively estimated a quarter-Billion dollars worth of boats within view), and one can also see into the Hotel's grounds, where the tennis court and pool areas lie.

Entering, we were a bit early to chehck in, but Sade (pronounced like the singer, but with a long E at the end instead of a long A...) greeted us warmly, and asked if we needed assistance. My wife & Sade chatted about us being early for our reservation, and Sade offered to watch our bag behind the desk while we went out exploring (we went to Gouverneur Beach as it happens, review already in place it was that cool). We returned about 4:00 in the afternoon, sun-blasted and relaxed, and took possession of one of Hotel Manapany's suites (I think that most of their rooms are set up that way, all custom, but perhaps all in a suite arrangement, with bedroom & living room (separated if desired by pull-drawn divider/French Door set-up thing, large, almost massive bathroom facilities, and a kitchenette. Not quite as spacish as a 1 bedroom apartment, but nearly so.

I forget the room number, possibly 212 - but I remember it is called the Topaz Suite. The pictures I've posted with the review can describe the room's amenities quicker than I can. We found the bathroom facilities very opulent, but oddly arranged. Toilet & bidet in one separate room, tub in another, and shower stall in another, with double sinks in yet another, all accessed by a single door from the "apartment." The bed was a lazily-draped 4-poster canopied king, and very comfortable. The furniture in the living area was plushly-upholstered rattan frame, fully-ppadded cushions in soft cotton. Very well decorated. No shelf in the shower stall though, to hold a bar of soap or sshampoo and I felt a bit odd not being able to put down the soap unless I put it on the floor. Why would there not be a small shelf in the shower? I mean, you need a place to put your bar of soap when you're in the shower. Why would you want to put it down where your feet are, and all the dirty water that's rinsing off of you? It doesn't make sense to me. The tub has a shelf for the shower, not just the edge of the tub… But in actual small shelf built into the wall. A conundrum.

As stated above, there is a tennis court available, and one can both rent the court itself, as well as request an opponent to provide either lessons or a match ($25 up to $100/hour, I think I overheard). The pool is gorgeous, with a sight line going out over the ocean and beach, and another going up the side of the "mountain" behind the Hotel. The tennis court is enclosed, but not covered, so sunshine fills the area. It's enclosed with the standard tennis court chain fence to hold the balls in, but the sightlines down and up the mountain are outstanding. The flowering growth around the grounds that surround the tennis court might be a bit distracting to the players. It is that pretty. The pool area is very attractive, kept neat and quite posh. The bar is literally right next to the swimming pool area, so lazily spending your day in the sun with a drink in hand is very much in the design concept. There is a small walk out not quite bridge but a walkway that goes right through one section of the pool more like a bridge could you can pass underneath while in the water out to a small island if you will, place therefore sunbathing on display in front of everyone if that is your thing.

Everything is lushly growing, flowering and/or green. It is all well kept and almost manicured yet without looking artificial as can happen.

Nearly everything driving around is on an incline, the entire island being set on a hill, so to speak, so be aware of that too. The entry park is leveled, but the drive to the rooms area can be a bit daunting as it can be up to a 20-degree grade, possibly more in short spans and/or switchbacks. Driving is... entertaining.

That evening, faced with a daunting list of four-star restaurants in Gustavia and St. Jean (I think that is the other town's name) we decided to eat at the Hotel itself as it was listed in one of the guides we had read online, and this proved to be a great plan. I ate simply, enjoying a plate of spaghetti & meatballs (odd choice I know, but it was wonderful and freshly made) and my wife had a mahi mahi "steak" (it looked as big as a steak) which she told me was the best she's ever had. She asked our server (the only guy working in the restaurant, as we were literally the only people eating at 7:00 pm) and he reported that it had been caught that morning, and had been brought by the fisherman to the Hotel for preparation that night. If it's possible to go gooey eyed over a piece of fish, she did. Our server doubled as our bartender, and we sat both before and after dinner and enjoyed a conversation with him about living on the island, the culture differences between the Island and the continent (he was from France) and his visits to the US and Texas (he considered them separate places, which we thought amusing, though not entirely incorrect). It was an enchanting evening.

The next day, we were going to be leaving the island at about 5:00 pm, so again Sade told us to leave our bags with her as we went exploring Gustavia. We went down to the yachting harbor, gawked liked the tourists we were at the sheer behemoth size of the private yachts sitting at anchor, and ended up eating lunch at a small place called La Repair - Fantastic! (review to follow). Our drive down to "town" took less than 4 minutes, and the largest delay was to find a place to park the Jimmy so we could stroll and shop (wife's idea). Still, it was a good time, if you remember the hills. Necessary to do some steps and climbing of grades.

Met both "owners," if you will, the twin brothers whose father actually owns the Manapany. Very nice guys, both - twins, actually. One was sort of in charge of operations, the other finances, and they seemed to flourish as they worked together to provide a wonderful place to stay on St. Barth's. They inquired about our stay there, our days activities, how we were treated in town (very well) and at the Hotel (even better), and gnerally were excellent hosts.

I can't really compare Hotel Manapany to a place anywhere else, as the cost always needs to be brought into the accounting (pun intended). However, for St. Bart's ... it seems to be priced very reasonably. Just compare prices for an equal length of stay at Eden Rock. Perhaps shinier, but not quite as socially comfortable, if you catch my meaning. Manapany is like that favorite cashmere sweater or old leather longcoat. Possibly a bit dated, yet expensive and attractive, but very comfortable to wear and that's why it's your favorite.

We've already started to figure out how to do the trip all over again, like we did it the last time -- but without the 4 day delay. This time, we'll bring friends with us to enjoy Manapany.

Room Tip: We had the Topaz Suite, and it was wonderful, I "think" the room number was 212?
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AttorneyJohn
Pointe Claire, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I went with my parents, they were both in their 80's but still getting on quite well, my usual worries are: easy walking surfaces, parking at your rooms, solid handrail , tastefully well lit at night. Super housekeeping, new fridge , comfortable beds, our suite was easy for my parents to get around, as was the full bathroom. Very quiet at night, couldn't hear the bar folks having a great time meeting others that were staying on the grounds. I was one of those after they'd gone to bed! the morning breakfast... oh...that breakfast! I love great coffee, fruits that I now cannot afford in Montreal as much as you want, the dinners we had were A1, but my parents liked to go to different places. I forget if it's Tuesdays or Wednesdays that's the night for moules and frys! I would certainly go back! with a tear in my eye as my parents are no longer with me.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Senneville2014
Bequia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We arrived to St Baarth without a reservation, rented a jeep and took of to look for a small and decently priced hotel.

After a few stops we ended up at Manapany, the entrance was not particulary exciting but the person on duty in the reception took very good care of us, showed us a few rooms and we decided to stay. As we had no idea what kind of amenities the resort offered and we were hungry we asked if they served lunch. Sure he said and walked us around the building to an open and very cozy pool area. Perfect place to spend the day around the pool, sipping on drinks and have lunch and listen to cool music by the inhouse DJ. The restaurant manager was very ambitious and service minded and took great care of us during our stay. On Sunday they had a brunch with a guest DJ from Ibiza, the food was great and so was the ambience.
This is not a perfect 5 star resort but a very good 4 star resort and a beautiful spa and the owners and managers takes very good care of you. My wife forgot one of her dresses when we left, she did not realize this until 3 days later when we arrived home. We contacted the hotel and a few days later a FedEx package arrived home and my wife was happy again.
If you want to experience St Baarths without paying a fortune for accommodation this is a great place to stay.

Mr Lars

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrlars
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Its my Favorite Spot in St Barths.. Great Service and Very Local!! Meaning if you want to hang with the Locals is one of the Few Place... Having lunch by the Pool, Specially for Brunch.. Restaurant has one of the Best Wine Menu in the whole Island.. .and Food Superb.. Room are spacious and the Beach Front Location make it a Great Location... A Massage at the Spa, like nothing.. they have the most experience Crew in the Island..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

(+) Amazing spot, on a quiet beach with some surfers coming in late afternoon.
(+) Our suite was on the beach. It looks more like a small beach house with private terasse than a hotel room. Decoration is simple but very nice. Room was very clean. Bathroom was recent, big and luxury decorated.
(+) The hotel is big enough to offer the choice of intimacy or meet with other people around the bar and the big pool.
(+) The restaurant La voile rouge is quite good as well as the breakfast (buffet). Permanent DJ is clearly a plus in terms of atmosphere. Cocktails / bar tender are really good.
(+) The service is very nice

Some minor drawbacks:
(-) The mini bar could offer more items
(-) The gym really needs some investments in new equipments

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Villa Marie Saint-Barth
Villa Marie Saint-Barth
#2 of 2 in Colombier

Been to Hotel Manapany Cottages & Spa? Share your experiences!