“Waste of money”
Review of Mount Guest House

Mount Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Audenshaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2014

When we arrived the staff were very welcoming, as soon as we entered however the smell was awful we were put in a family room that was freezing cold dirty and smelly. There was hair in the bed, dust inside the wardrobe. The beds were uncomfortable, I felt sick sleeping In this bed as I felt so dirty. We were using a shared bathroom which was far below standard, hairs on the toilet and mild in the shower, just not acceptable when your charging £50 per night. Worst £50 I have ever spent and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Pufferfish155

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Would highly recommend this Place. Brilliant value for money. Clean, warm, nice rooms, nice powerful shower, WiFi always working & free. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again! I stayed for a few days and have not got a bad thing to say about the place.

Room Tip: I was in an en-suite room with beautiful views to allotments at the back. Room 12
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Anthony P
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I arrived on a Thursday evening by public transport - it is a bit difficult to reach by bus/tram/foot - but was warmly welcomed and granted an upgrade to an en-suite room. The room was spacious, clean, modern and comfortable. The comfortable bed was queen-size with new sheets and duvet and the radiator was working fine. The bathroom was a decent size and the shower large with sliding glass doors in a half-moon shape, while the water pressure was strong and the water warm. There is a desk and closet, nightstand and flat-screen tv - although they were having problems with the signal at the time of my stay. There is tea and coffee making kit, and the hotel provides towels and soap.

The location may not be for everybody - it is in a suburban area around 15-minute walk to the train or bus 219, plan on an hour by bus and about 2.5 quid one-way. There are plenty of pubs within walking distance, and the Queens Arms does a nice carvery Mon-Sat for 5 quid. There are also a few carryout places within a 10-minute walk.

Best of all is the quiet - outside of the infrequent creaking of floors and the morning rooster crow, you can really catch up on your sleep here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 30 January 2014

lovely quiet place, may not be to everyones taste but i like it, clean , warm. breakkie not bad, bed comfy, excellent wifi Sid is a cracking bloke with a great sense of humour. no evening meals done but hey it's a guest house not a hotel. 2nd time here and soon another.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 764steves
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Arriving late on friday evening we had a very warm welcome from Sid, who greeted us with the news that he had upgraded our bedroom, which we were very thankful for!! Checking in was smooth and efficient. We went up to go to our room which was lovely and warm. Very modern with a TV and a modern bathroom, the floor was squeaky but thats all that was wrong! We got provided with clean towels each morning. We were attending an engagement party on the Saturday afternoon, and after having a morning rush at the trafford centre we needed an iron!! The staff were so helpful and found us an iron and ironing board within 5 minutes. Great Service. Breakfast was really good also, cooked just how you like it. Would return here without a doubt.

Room Tip: En Suite is a good option!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerri-Anne P
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed here the night before and after the Robbie Williams gig at the Etihad.
The place is very clean and well run by helpful and amicable staff with a good local knowledge.

Breakfast didn't look big but was quite tasty and enough to see me through the day as it turned out with extra coffee or orange juice available on request.

I only mentioned that I was going to the Etihad and before I new it I was presented with a printed map and instructions on bus services and a list of taxi numbers.

A big tip is that if you use the shower next to that room it seems to have a 'pressure/sticking non return valve issue' [yes I am a plumber!] By lowering the head of the shower to foot level the sticky valve opens and you can get a fairly decent shower out of it by keeping it low until you put the head back onto the rail. Sid the proprietor did mention this problem when I checked in btw suggesting that I walk round the corner to the other bathroom. This minor gripe is the only thing I could find wrong with the place and going by the working noises I could hear just before I left I dare say it is on their agenda to deal with it.

All in all I was very happy with my stay and would use the place again should the need occur.

Getting about from here:-

It cost just under £13 for a taxi to the Etihad at about 6pm using Denton links [01613362020]. The driver advised us to walk to the Derby Arms on the corner of Bank St for the return by Radio cabs [01613302090] They have a text service telling you the registration number of the vehicle that has been sent to pick you up and a tracking app which I couldn't use because I my phone is not on android or ios. This fare metered £9 at 11.35pm on this occasion due to less traffic.

Room Tip: I was in room 6 which was very quiet on this occasion.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Slugbabydotcom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I had to go up to Manchester just for one night. I didn't choose this accommodation but when I arrived (the advance party of 5) I was pleasantly surprised. Plenty of parking was a good start.
I received a warm welcome and the proprietor carried my case up for me as the lift was out of order.
I used the free WiFi which was hassle free and much appreciated. We had booked a twin and got a large room with a double and a single bed, bedding nice and clean.
There were a few things which contribute to my 'average' rating, no full length mirror, no chair - people obviously sat on the bed as the edge sloped down and I nearly fell out in the middle of the night. The bathroom could have done with a shelf...only 2 coat hangers. the furniture wasn't really my style but functional never the less. We had to leave the visors lounge at 9pm, not sure what that was about...I think the owner goes home so be aware check in would stop at 9pm unless you had a prior arrangement. Nothing earth shattering and to be fair the room rate was very reasonable just niggles.
Breakfast was fine, plenty to eat, usual B&B fare but the lady that served us was super friendly. I must comment on the view from the bedroom window - well, I wish I had taken binoculars so I could have done a bit of bird watching. It overlooked allotments and mighty fine allotments they were too. You could see out to the distant countryside and the hills. A real treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the allotments, very quiet with lovely views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sparkiedoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Audenshaw
Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

Been to Mount Guest House? Share your experiences!