“Overpriced resort on small plot, on average beach in average area”

Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Singapore, Singapore
“Overpriced resort on small plot, on average beach in average area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We spent 3 nights at this resort with a family of 2 adults and 2 older children. We got one of their 7 villas with private pool, but although the accommodation was good, the overall stay was average.
The pros :
1) pool villa : spacious, well laid out and airy room with bathroom partly on the outside and quite a reasonably sized pool. Kids could sleep on sofa bed and on one of the pool loungers without any extra charges.
2) restaurant staff : they went out of their way to make our lives as pleasant as possiblle. Iwan and Rudi were especially helpful
The cons :
1) the location : Mangsit beach is definitely one up from Senggigi beach but is still an average beach in Lombok. The sand is mixed black and white and the beach hardly walkable. Some people were swimming in the sea but it was neither a calm nor an inviting sea. Senggigi and surroundings is not a great area in Lombok. For good beaches go to the south and for exclusivity go to Sire beach further north
2) Hotel grounds : very small for the build density. We really felt squeezed in this resort despite having a pool villa. The beach frontage is very narrow (compared to the Qunci next door) and the front has been badly designed. A large part of the already narrow front is taken up by a library and a massage room, blocking the sea view (what was the architect thinking?)
3) Food : overpriced and unrefined. The breakfast is a la carte but the execution is poor. Fresh fruit selection is limited, juices small, French toast average, etc...I tried the pasta live buffet in the evening and again was totally underwhelmed with the quality of the food. Food is really expensive for what you get. If you are in the area, have dinner next door in the Qunci or go to the Jeeva Klui a little bit further up the road.
4) front desk : never had change for the drivers and quite clueless sometimes
If you spend close to 500 US$ per night, I recommend you spend them elsewhere. The Jeeva Klui in the area looks much better on beautiful grounds or go up north to the Tugu Hotel which has fabulous service.

Room Tip: Ask for room with sea view or get a pool villa
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Poessing
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Poessing,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Very much appreciated on your feedback toward the property and its surrounding. I am very glad to know Iwan and Rudi went an extra mile to extend their best to serve you during your stay with us and I shared your good comment with them.

I was very concern to read your feedback about the hotel lay out, the ground , beaches and other points mentioned and please accept my apologize for the inconvenience.

I have shared the points concern with our team for improvement especially concerning the food quality and the product knowledge of our drivers. Otherwise, I do hope that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and these are very useful for us to improve our performance both product and the services.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bandung, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I picked this hotel for our first family trip to Lombok based on review that i read. Im very picky on picking place to stay during our holiday because i like to stay in nice place and my husband is very big with service. So after researching about Lombok's hotels in different website, my choice fall to Sudamala. Our family definitely not disappointed. The resort are so beautifully awesome. Right on the beautiful beach. We stated at the sunset room and it was overlooking the ocean. So nice. The room are big with the most amazing bathroom than any other hotel i ever stayed at and i stayed in a lot of nice hotels before. They have outdoor shower and also a big bathtub with a rain shower on the top. Their pool is also nice. My daughter cant get enough of it. They also had different activities in the hotel. On the first night they have clay making. My daughter made some animals clay and bowl. She had a blast. They also have happy hour for cocktail from 5-7pm. It was great and perfect time cause we can watch the sunset from our hotel with some yummy cocktail. The bartender are also great... My husband has specific drinks that he requested for and they always did it awesomely. We also had dinner there sitting overlooking the beach. The food was delicious. We had the trio seafood platter, rendang (spicy beef), and chicken satay. All great and for dessert i ordered the chocolate lava cake and it was yummy too. Breakfast was great also. We had selection of menu to pick from. My husband again very specific with his food has to eat 10 eggs white for his breakfast and Sudamala can fulfill that... I ordered egg Benedict and it was very good. The breakfast came with pastries which are croissants and i have to mention that they have the best croissant in indonesia. Crispy and soft. Cant get enough of it... Their pastry just awesome. The best thing about Sudamala is their service. People there are so nice and always cater of our need without we asking for it. When we about to leave for our tour, they give us a bag of towel because they know we are going to see the waterfall and might swim there. They also give us a bag of waters for us on the road. So thoughtful. We also order transport to the airport from the hotel and the car and the driver was nice and they send us with a bag of sandwiches, banana and water. Very thoughtful. We had such a great time there. Wish we can stay more than two nights. Definitely will come back there... Thank you Sudamala for making our trip to Lombok much greater...

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Atshaali
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Atshaali,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Pleased to learn that the family and yourself had an enjoyable stay with us and I do hope that you bring fond of memories back home.

Highly appreciated on your excellent and detailed comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to hear that you were enjoyed your stay in the Sunset Suite and your daughter enjoyed making clay creativity as one of our guest activity program, the foods, the personalize touches, the evening cocktails by the pool and by beach front deck, as well as an excellent customer service and the friendliness service with can do attitude are being extended to you and your family by our team during your stay with us.

I have shared your excellent comment with our team and they are very excited to hear such a nice comment from valuable customer.

Once again thank you for your loyal support and we look forward to welcoming you back again in not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Sudamala, Senggigi for 2 nights recently on our holiday in Lombok and really enjoyed the relaxed setting, food, extensive cocktail menu, entertainment, service, assistance from staff and made the most of the day spa on premises - what a treat! Stayed in a garden view room which was lovely and quiet, very clean, modern amenities and absolutely all you need. We have no hesitation recommending it! A perfect location to spend a few days or longer to relax. I wish I was back there instead of at work...

1 Thank Jacinta D
Dear Jacinta D,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I do hope that you bring fond of memories back home.

Highly appreciated on your excellent comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to hear that you were enjoyed your stay in the Garden Suite, the SPA treatment, the evening cocktails by the pool and by beach front deck, the food , as well as an excellent customer service and the friendliness service are being extended to you by our team during your stay with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We found everything at the Sudamala to be AMAZING! The food, service, setting, staff, facilities, rooms (We stayed in the Pool Villa) cocktail hour by the water, just everything! We especially loved the little touches that they provide e.g providing us with a packed lunch for our trip to the airport and the turn down service at night. I recommend having the romantic dinner for two-it's a MUST!!

Room Tip: The Pool Villa epitomizes romance :)
Dear Cruttidge,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Highly appreciated on your excellent comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to hear that you were enjoyed your stay in the Villa, the special romantic dinner, the evening cocktails by the pool & the beach front, the personalize touches as well as an excellent customer service & the friendliness service are being extended to you by our team during your stay with us.

Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at Sudamala for 2 nights at pool villa. The pool villa was clean, quite with privacy & comfy. Private pool is simply awesome. The staffs are very friendly, good service & attentive. We had a romantic dinner at the restaurant with sea view. We throuhgly enjoyed every moment at Sudamala, I will definitely recommend to all my friends. Keep your good work Sudamala!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear KennyKo,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Highly appreciated on your excellent comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to know that you were enjoyed your stay in the Villa, the special romantic dinner as well as an excellent customer service and the friendliness service are being extended to you by our team during your stay with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We spent two nights recently, and was made to feel extremely welcome. All the staff referred to us by our first names after one afternoon!.
The Manager Lily arranged us a romantic dinner for two for our anniversary on the beach as a surprise, nothing seems to be too much trouble.
The villa was large, romantic and clean. Cocktails beachside with gorgeous sunsets was the icing on the cake.

Dear Richard B,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Highly appreciated on your excellent comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to hear that you were enjoyed your stay in the Villa, the special romantic dinner as well as an excellent customer service and the friendliness service are being extended to you by Lyly and and team during your stay with us.

I have shared your excellent comment with Lyly and the rest of our team and they are very excited to hear such a nice comment from valuable customer.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I just came back from 5 days 4 nights staying at Sudamala Suites & Villas in Senggigi. The resort was new, clean, great service and the food was fantastic. The pool and beach combination being probably 25 meters apart meant swimming was easy in either the sea or pool depending on your preference. Had a great time and will definitely be heading back.

Room Tip: I stayed in a sea view villa upstairs. Fantastic view of the ocean although the sound of the waves c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AussieGuyInKL
Dear AussieGuyInKL,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok.

Highly appreciated on your good comment on the property and its surrounding. I am also very happy to hear that you were enjoyed, the food , the facilities as well as the excellent customer service extended to you by our team during your stay.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
The Lombok Lodge
The Lombok Lodge
#1 of 3 in Tanjung
The Chandi Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi? Share your experiences!