“paradise...”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Cologne, Germany
“paradise...”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is probably the nicest beachhotel i have been to in my life.
pickup at the airport worked well, the transfer is now almost 90 minutes, with the new airport in the south of lombok. On arrival we had the bad news, that the reservations had not been able since june to limit the moves between rooms ( i guess they simply forgot - so : send them reminders if this occurs to you) . The good news - this stayed the only flaw, and gave us the chance to see three categories: oceanview, sideview, private villa)

Rooms:
All rooms visited were modern, clean, beautifully furnished, with nice peaces of art. Size differences are marginal, the openair bathrooms were bigger when groundfloor). Aircondition blew onto the bed - so we put it off ( no problem for us, for others might be). The villa had some extras bathrobes, coffeemachine etc. Disadvantage of the villa is, that they are very near to the street, so you hear that much more than in the other rooms.

Pool/Beach:
3 infinity pools, on a guessed 2o m long on a coast with white sands and situated with a view of a sunset in front of balis coast... beautiful. pool services excellent, water and fruit skewers provided , towels nicely setup with flowers,

Premises : beautiful. decorated wirh artworks, constant pickup of leaves etc. as said ... flawless. There is constant attention of the many staff , constantly around. All very very friendly, which like so often in Indonesia easily compensates the sometimes not so high level of professionality. That said - here was a good level of education.

This is a phantastic hotel, go there if you have the chance. you will not regret this

Room Tip: i would recommend first floor rooms - ocean view have the advantage, that you can indeed wake up wit...
1 Thank mini2006
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear mini2006,

*This is probably the nicest beachhotel i have been to IN MY LIFE * [caps mine]

Wow, thank you very much for your accolade!!

And sorry about the room moves. When you made your original reservation we didnt have a single room left during that time so to accommodate you, we had to book the different category rooms to get you space in the hotel. But glad it all worked out!

Happy Travels....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just back from an idillic four days at Quinci Villas, we didn't want to leave. Everything was perfect, from the moment we arrived we felt relaxed. The setting is amazing, perfect for watching the sunset over Bali while sipping a happy hour cocktail. Hotel is immaculate and with three infinity pools there's always a free sun lounger and space to relax. A highlight was the food, we did the cooking class with head chef of Quali restaurant and can't wait to try out the recipe for a perfect beef rendang at home. Service is first class, staff are friendly and always happy to help.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Debbie C,

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and good luck on the Rendang recipe....one of my favorites!!

Happy Travels
Zurich
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This must be one of the most amazing and stunning hotel my friend and I have stayed in! The location of the hotel is just magical! The sunset, the view on the volcano in Bali, the amazing infinity pool, the staff, bungalows with outdoor shower...wauw! For us, this was one week of being in paradise! I would highly recommend this place to anyone! I can not wait for going back! Also Lombok itself is a beautiful place and day trips can easily be arranged to the Gili islands, to the waterfalls near the volcano and so on...I just loved the hotel and Lombok! Thanks to Qunci Villas and their amazing staff for making our holidays an absolute highlight.

Room Tip: We have chosen a garden view bungalow which is absolutely fine and price -quality is just perfect. A...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear sunshines78,

*must be one of the most amazing and stunning hotel my friend and I have stayed in! *

Thanks!..and glad we were able to make yours an amazing stay in Lombok!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Spent our last 2 nights here and arrived from gilli t around 10am so had the morning around the pool until our room was ready. We were given the ground floor beachfront room right opposite the massage hut which was lovely although the privacy during the day is limited with the massage ladies in front and the long lines of deck chairs only a few metres to your right.By day 2 we were used to this and claimed a couple of the deck chairs closest as ours and thought that the proximity to the ocean and views more than made up for the lack of privacy especially in the evening and early morning. The room above would have been perfect. Lovely pools, lovely food, lovely beach- good for a swim and a walk. .A great warung up the beach to the right run by a family.( We didnt get to walk left.) The spa is one of my all time favourites, beautiful decor and excellent treatments. Not cheap but soo nice. The morning specials are a good deal or the massage hut ladies are right there. Quite a big property, very well maintained with excellent staff and so pretty at night with candles and lighting although during the day the long lines of deck chairs create to me a more- am i here or in Phuket feel.Also, my husband likes talking to people and went off to look for a bar( which i think is really a small restaurant area.) We had happy hour there on our last night and chatted to an american couple who were looking for a social place also - would be great if this area was more recognizeable as a bar or a social area. Overall we loved it here , i wish we could have stayed longer and will definately come back hopefully in june if not sooner.

Room Tip: if you like privacy dont get the room we had, we didnt mind and soon got used to the lack of and tho...
Dear molly_p62,

Gald you enjoyed your time with us, and we hope to see you back very soon – in June!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Everything we requested in our booking request was met without exception, from our collection at the airport by their friendly driver, to the room we requested. Qunci is elegant in its simplicity of design, both inside and out. The biggest Qunci asset is their staff ...they are amazing. I have to admit I am totally hopeless at names, but even if I could remember them, in this instance it would make no difference as all staff were excellent and I could not single out even a couple of them. It didn't matter whether their work was on the front desk, in a restaurant, groundstaff, maintenance or at the spa ..., they all went out of their way to smile and assist you with nothing but friendly professionalism. We stayed in a ground floor ocean view room, loved the verandah and the view. Will admit that my very first impression of room was that it was more simple than expected and couldn't help feeling that maybe it was very open to all at the pool or nearby restaurant, that feeling however lasted about 10 minutes! I quickly realised the location to be perfect, and in walking around the resort, I really don't think you could choose a bad room type. The infinity pools are beautifully clean and great temp, the restaurants (favourite being Quah) are affordable with great food and drink prices compared to a lot of Bali resorts, you really dont have to dine out if you dont wish. The friendly beach ware sellers and massage ladies are great to talk to and fun people, none of whom are pushy, they know when you might be interested and when you are not, they too are professionals ! If you want a Tv in your room, if you want to make your own tea and coffee in room or anything else ...just ask. Other stuff: We booked a trip to Gilli Islands through the resort, listened to their advice on how best to undertake this and didn't regret it all. Snorkelling at Gilli Meno is awesome. Happy two hours also great. Thank you Qunci, you gave us a beautiful holiday to remember.

Room Tip: Great ocean view rooms, you don't need private pool if you go for one of these as only few steps...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear HolidayHobbiests,

Love it: *The biggest Qunci asset is their staff ...they are amazing. *

Thanks, the staff really appreciate it when their efforts are noticed by our guests.

Glad you had such a beautiful holiday and we hope to see you back in Lombok again soon!
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi,

We have not long returned from honeymoon.4 days in Bali and 9 in Lombok.Thgis hotel is absolutely stunning.Brilliant location directly on the beach,3 infinity pools and excelltent service.
The hotel is immaculate,the staff work so hard to keep it clean and al were very friendly.
We did not have one bad meal,all was lovely presented and tasted gorgeous.
The hotel is as stunning as on the website.It was the personal touches which I valued.When they turned down your bed at night there was always fresh fowers scattered.You would get fresh fruit wrapped in banana leaves,small things like that went a long way.
The only thing I will say is Lombok apparently is a high risk of malaria so make sure you get your tablets.Neither of us got bit but we did take precautions.They do a 'fogging' at the hotel every Monday to kill the mosquitos.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone on homeymoon,i would say its definitely a adult hotel,children very welcome but the setting is more suited to adults I think.

Room Tip: definitely pay the extra for a sea view,i think it worked out another 40 pound,wasn't much in it...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear kim g

Thank you for such a great review and we are all glad that your trip was perfect all the way around.

We hope to see you back in Lombok again soon.

London
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Qunci… was just fabulous!

My boyfriend and I stayed for 8 nights at the Qunci in early October and it was just wonderful. A lot of people seem to spend only a few nights here going between Bali and Gilis but we could have happily stayed longer than 8 nights!

Just a little about getting to Qunci from Bali: We pre-booked a ferry from Bali with Blue Water Express. They collected us from our hotel in Seminyak and dropped us off at the port, Serangan. They contacted our hotel the night before leaving to reconfirm our booking and they arrived on time to collect us in the morning. The boat stopped off at Padang Bai where I believe people staying around Ubud got on. All in all it took around 2.30 hours to get to Teluk Kode in Lombok (and then it goes onto Gili T). We sat on the top of the boat – we got a little wet but the dolphin watching and scenery was worthwhile! They do not organise transfers in Lombok, but on the return leg they dropped us back off at our Bali hotel which is part of the overall cost. When booking with Blue Water Express, they initially raised the invoice in US$, I asked them to re-invoice in Euro which worked out far more cost effective for us (iro £70 per person return). When we got to Lombok it was approx. 20/25 in a cab to Qunci (a taxi should cost 65k / 100k IR versus the 250k IR the guy was insisting we paid).

So back to Qunci… on arrival we were greeted with a lovey drink and cold towel and we checked in by Nova, who was uber helpful (throughout our entire stay) and has excellent English. Our room wasn’t ready and so we headed to the pool / beach area – after a few hectic days in Seminyak, Lombok felt a million miles away, so chilled and serene. Nova came and found us when our room was ready opposed to us badgering for our room.

We had paid for a garden room and expected to be on the ground floor but actually had a room on the first floor with a slight view of the sea and mountains. We spent most of the day by the pool and staring at the beach view, so an upgrade wasn’t really necessary for us (worth it is you like being in your room during the day or staying for a special occasion). The room was great, the super king bed was heavenly and I loved the semi outside shower. There is a fridge (which we stocked up from the local mini marts and there seemed to be a little shop opp the hotel too) and a safe. I felt as though Qunci wants to be the best possible 4* hotel opposed to an average 5*resort, hence the lack of dressing gown and slippers, bose docking system that you may associate with 5*etc… and those add-ons aren’t necessary here… it is great just the way it is! Our room was cleaned every day and they have a turned down service each night and sprayed our room for mosquitos (we didn’t have any problems with mossies at all whilst in Lombok).

A few people mention the praying/chanting from the local mosque in the early hours of the morning... I sleep with ear plugs and did stir on a couple of occasions but on the whole it was fine.

I am a foodie and Qunci’s two main restaurants were fabulous. We had breakfast on the beach each morning, lunch at either restaurants (they have the same lunch menu) and then varied between both restaurants as well as dining on the beach. We also went into town (Square / Quake) and ate on the beach (Warang Pardiso which is two minutes along the beach front - was ok food) to break it up. The food at Qunci was excellent and the portion sizes were good (sometimes large enough to share) and everything was fresh. For my first lunch I ordered the tuna salad – in some resorts you could end up with tinned tuna and canned veg, but this was seared tuna steak, olives, anchovies, quails eggs, capers, green beans etc… fresh and tasty. We enjoyed all our meals at Qunci and the staff added to this, they are friendly chatty and helpful, they fall over themselves to help you. We loved breakfast, starting with the fruit and fresh juices and we also order more than one dish each and they are happy to divert away from the menu too – just ask. The have themed nights and we did go to the BBQ night and had amazing fresh tuna, but I am not sure it was worth the money and sticking to their current a la carte was better value. Ayu, was our favourite waitress, she was uber friendly and on our first night told us that if you order a bottle of wine you can keep it in their fridge so you don’t have to order by glass (they pour small glasses.. ), so we did that quite a few times and enjoyed it during sun downers / other dinners etc.

The view of the beach was stunning and we didn’t tire looking at it (or talking 100 photos of the view and sunset each night), however, the sea was too rocky for us to get into so it is worth taking jelly-type shoes. This was a real shame but we made do with the two 30ml pools. The pool area (actually the whole resort especially the gardens) is well looked after and they provide fresh towels. They bring you ice water and fruit on stick which is a lovely gesture. On a few occasions I went to get more water but I was always ushered back to my sun lounger as they wanted to bring it back to me (I partly felt bad as I was capable of carrying my own drinks but the staff see it as their job remit so you don’t actually want to offend – it is quite nice to be waited on). Everyone staying at Qunci is there to relax / have a nice time and so there is a common respect for each other – no one hogged the sun loungers, took over the pool with floats or were ridiculously loud etc – it was very pleasant and safe environment.

As for the hawkers, we ate mango/pineapple, bought bowls/sarongs, had a couple of massages… so although it seems annoying to have people pester you we actually took up what they were offering (albeit not every day). If you don’t want to engage just smile and say no thank you. They will not come on to the grounds so you can happily ignore them if you choose. There is a little market in town (£1 in a cab) and they sell the same things as the hawkers – bowls, Bingtang t shirts etc so they have more choice but still you will need to haggle. I didn’t use the spa facility but had two massages on the beach, which I believe is actually part of Qunci and for 60 minute body massage it was £5… perfect!

When we arrived we were told we could book a Gilis tour the night before we wanted to go – they apparently use the fishing boats that are on the beach front (so you could probably negotiate a better deal directly with the boat men). However, when we wanted to go we were told it was not possible as the sea was too rough, which was hugely disappointing and something we hadn’t really considered bearing in mind how close by the Gilis are. However, Nova came to the rescue with a Plan B and we ended up going on a day trip to Gili Nanngu which is South West of Lombok and very quiet and undiscovered compared to Gili T/Air/Meno.

All in all Lombok and Qunci was fabulous… we were apprehensive about going in October as some forums say it is the start of the rainy season. The weather was amazing especially as there was a slight breeze which meant sitting out in 30+ was still very pleasant. Just as we were leaving the first part of the rainy season kicked in and there was heavy rain for one afternoon but the next day was exceptionally hot. So I would still recommend early October as a time to go.

The Qunci was incredible value for money, great food, relaxing with wonderful staff…sad to be home!

3 Thank Clairebearuk
Dear Clairebearuk,

8 nights. In fact, a lot of people want to stay longer after visiting Lombok but then find that our hotel is full and so move on as per their original schedule to Bali. Glad you got to spend so much time with us!

And thanks for helping us to spread the right perspective on Qunci : *I felt as though Qunci wants to be the best possible 4* hotel opposed to an average 5*resort *

Happy Travels and we look forward to seeing you back in Lombok again in the near future...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
#7 of 7 in Mangsit
Novotel Lombok
Novotel Lombok
#2 of 11 in Kuta

Been to Qunci Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!