“Still amazing”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Great Western, Australia
“Still amazing”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was my fourth stay at Qunci, having had my wedding there a year ago. It is absolutely amazing. The staff are so friendly and genuinely happy in their work, especially Nova, Wiwit and Viki. The only thing I noticed that was different this time was the French chef. It was disappointing that Chef Bryce had moved on as he was really friendly and very visible. I didn't see the chef in the whole week I stayed. The menu was also very French which I found did given it's in Indonesia and the vast majority of guests are Australian. I would also like to see the breakfast menu changed up a little as it gets quite boring after a week. However, minor details as Qunci surpasses any other hotel I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Either choose a pool villa or an upstairs ocean view room. Ocean view rooms can be a bit public if t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Wtp247,

4th Visit..now that is a vote of confidence in Qunci Villas! Thanks!

Next time ask to see Frederic, our Chef. He is usually around the kitchen throughout the day and you can give him some suggestions for the breakfast menu.

And visit Bryce as well. He has his own B&B on Gili T now.

See you next trip!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I would advise anyone to come to this hotel !! Serious the hotel is excellent the food excellent ; the staff excellent ( nova is always ready to help u and give u the rite directions and the best beaches to go ) u can rent a scouter for around 10£ a day and get to know the island .. I really love this hotel and the all islands ... Just great

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nuno N
Dear Nuno N,

Thanks for your advice! (*I would advise anyone to come to this hotel !! *)

See you on your next visit!
jakarta
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

i only need 5 mnts to check in, everything are so easy and practical; a cold wet towel and welcome drink open their greeting, the rooms are designed privately, in two floors, the space fr one to another villa are convenient for our privacy, room has king bed with one sofa that can be used as a day bed for children.
i enjoy the ambience of this hotel, the garden, the room is spacey and beautiful designed, 3 restaurant in front of the each serve delicious coffee with yummy dessert, pool water temperature is just convenient, at night we could have dinner on their deck facing directly to their illuminate beach- beautiful!

however, this hotel is not for the one who is a 'TV Addict' because there is no TV in the room.

Stayed January 2014
Dear upiafifuddin,

Glad you really enjoyed your stay at Qunci and next time you are back, if the mood hits you and you need to feed your TV addiction, just ask at the front desk. We have tvs available with satellite hook-up.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Quinci is a lovely medium size resort. Generally more of an adult atmosphere..so, few screaming children. Very good food at reasonable prices and low corkage fee. Rooms are
clean and pretty (I wish the pillows weren't so thick). Bathroom is pretty but outside, so that can be a plus or a minus! Its great to shower in the sunshine not so great if its pouring down. Didn't have a problem with mosquitos, but you might see a couple. Since its outside, its obviously not AC'd, I had no problem with that, but something to think about if your an AC junkie. Spa is quite nice. Lovely sunsets during happy hour. 3 pools including one adult pool. We keep coming back, so would def. recommend it. :)

Room Tip: If you like a thatched roof take a room on the 2nd floor, but if your allergic make sure to ask for...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Crankywoman,

*We keep coming back, so would def. recommend it. :) * ….Thanks!

And the next time you're back, ask for an inside/more covered shower if that is your preference (we have them although not air conditioned) and as well ask for thinner pillows. Each bed should have 4 pillows: 2 thick and 2 not. But I'll check up on this if this was not the case with your room.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Both myself, and many friends from Australia, have stayed at Qunci on numerous occasions - both in the pool villas and the largest of their private villas on the hill. The villa was the most breathtaking I've stayed in, in both Lombok and Bali. It has to be seen to be believed. The garden view and pool view rooms are gorgeous, the food is great, and the service hard to beat in Lombok. I've just noticed a recent review canning the place - this guy has no idea - or must be confusing it with somewhere else more likely. Look further peoples and you'll see nothing to compare with Qunci in Lombok - and the reviews reflect this. There's a reason why it's so hard to get in on some occasions.

Room Tip: All rooms have lovely outlooks, but if you can get an ocean view it's even better - upstairs roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LovesIndonesia,

Thank you for the *perspective * on another recently posted review. And what you say is true: *Look further peoples and you'll see nothing to compare with Qunci in Lombok - and the reviews reflect this. * …. smile

Yes, with over 1,000 reviews we are bound to get a differing views on Qunci Villas. Gratefully, 95% of them over the past 10 years are all really, really good. Not perfect, and there is always room for improvement. But we are quite happy that over the past 10 years most of our guests have really enjoyed their time with us and many do, in fact, return.

Thanks again and Happy Travels!
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Last week, I stayed in Qunci Villas, room number 34. We happened to stay there because of my niece's wedding party was located in Kusia Villa (im sorry i dont really remember...).

I reserved 2 rooms, 18 Jan2014. I stayed in room 34, my mom and her friend stayed in room 40.

For the first day, my opinion for this hotel vwas really really good.

But on 19 Jan2014, my friend suddenly decided to sleep over in our room (34), because it take a while from Kusia Villa to Qunci. I thought it was okay, because we will have a wedding in Kusia Villa, and as far as i know it was a private villa with 'no extra person charge'.

I do understand about about 'extra person charge' policies, but the way your front office talked to us was so insulting, they forced us to pay 45USD, even i already told them that it was only for a night, and they happened to call me twice, untill i called my niece and she told me that in Kusia Villa "there's no limitation" about how many people can stay there.

Then I called ur front desk officer and explained to them that we're Melly invitation/familly, who were going to marry in your villa (which i believed they already know), and my friend at first was stayed in Kusia Villa. Finally they stop calling my room, what a relieved...

I do understand there's a room policies, but i hope your Front Officer could be more understanding..

To me, its a bit annoying consider that our familly would have a wedding party in your villas.

2. Breakfast

Qunci's breakfast was okay but not excellent due to the services. On the last day 20Jan2014, we're having a breakfast near room 34, i didnt remember the name...

we ordered with devi/evi.. (if you need the name i'll ask my friend, because she wrote the staff name down in her notes. )

Her services not so welcome, but ill try to understand it because we arrived around 10.25, and they seem bussy cleaning than welcoming us. So, maybe it's because our late order..

We ordered an orange juice & english breakfast tea...

While we were waiting there's a trainee offering us a cup of tea or coffe.

I thought it was free, untill suddenly that staff (evi/devi) cleaned our table out of nowhere and talked to that trainee in a bad way that we didnt ordered that coffe/tea...so you didnt need to do this!

What a terrible attitude,

YES we didnt ordered it.. and we didnt know that we do need to pay for this or not..

The worst thing was she didnt say anything and just went away like we were not there.

I felt sorry for the trainee, because she probably didnt know what exactly her mistakes, neither do i.

Beside those unpleasant experince...

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elysia T
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Elysia T,

As you thankfully point out twice in your review:

For the first day, my opinion for this hotel was really really good. *

and

*this hotel trully has a fantastic view,great food and a verry very good spa treatment... *

But that your experience with the front office regarding the extra person in your room left you with an *unpleasant experince *

First, let me say that I am sorry that your experience at Qunci wasn't 100% the best. You were there for a wedding and we want all of our guests to leave happy after such a special celebration.

But although we do our best to accommodate the needs and requests of guests, we also ask our guests to respect the regulations and agreements entered into when making reservations at our hotel. Your family and friends were arriving from around Indonesia for the wedding...from Java, Makassar, Bali and other islands … staying at various hotels along the beach. And many family and friends were happy to bundle up in rooms ….. whilst this meant not adhering to hotel policies that were agreed upon and upon which special room discounts were made.

Let's look at what my Front Office staff did to accommodate your changing needs for rooms at Qunci Villas during your stay and what we (didnt) charge:

You had booked two rooms for arrival on Jan 18th. However, upon arrival, you wanted to stay in one room instead of 2 because your mom didn’t want to sleep alone. So we arranged to put you in one room with extra adult charge of $45++, which was agreed by you.

Note: We did not charge you a cancellation charge for first night as per hotel policy for the room you cancelled. You were able to save some money that night even as we were unable to rent out your mom's room. (Qunci was full that night minus the 1 room.)

And as per your review, this was your first day and the day that you thought our hotel was *really good *.

On your second day, you said one more guest would be checking in for a total of four guests for two rooms. We arranged for 2 rooms for you side by side with an extra bed put in one of the rooms for total of 4 persons.

However, later in the day two guests showed up (as opposed to the 1 you mentioned), and they informed our front desk staff that they were going to room #34. We escorted them and asked how many guests would be staying in the room as now we had five guests for two rooms, all adults. (The extra guest was initially staying up the road at the Holiday Resort, a 5 minute walk from Qunci, but cancelled their reservation there to move to stay in your room.)

We mentioned the extra person charge, which you were familiar with when your mom cancelled her room, but this time you took exception. We said if it were a small child we could make an exception and use the existing bed but you wanted an extra bed (which also comes with free breakfast). You said that you would inform us later and you went off to have lunch.

You later called us and explained that you were in the wedding party and that on that basis could we help you out. We said, *Sure * we could help out, that your extra friend could stay at our luxury Villa Qusia with the wedding party (where we can easily accommodate 6 persons) and that there would be NO extra charge.

As for the coffee, it is free. You shouldnt have been charged and I believe that you were NOT charged. Evi is a sweet girl from the nearby village but probably better at the cashier which is where she will will be moved to following your complaint (and, honestly, a complaint from a couple of other guests as well)

So in summary, you had 2 *Close calls * (smile) on 2 charges that you were NOT charged for (extra person; coffee). Qunci needs to do a better job explaining its policies but we also ask our guests to understand the hotel policies in regards to how many people we can accommodate in a room.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in a one bedroom villa with a private pool and then returned again for 2 more nights in an Ocean View villa after a trip to the Gili's. This place is amazing. The staff bent over backwards for us, and did everything possible to make sure our stay was pleasant and memorable. The food was spectacular. There are 3 restaurants to choose from. Each morning we had the choice of breakfast to be served at our villa or eat at the restaurant. The pools were great and nice to lay about during the day relaxing. The beauty spa offers some fantastic massage and pamper services which we indulged in! We even did the cooking class they have on offer here which was also just brilliant (thanks to Frederick and the Indonesian chef who showed us how to cook up an Asian feast!). Overall we had a wonderful honeymoon and we recommend Qunci to anyone wanting some time out from the world, relaxing, pampering or a romantic time away!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jana N
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Jana N,

Happy Honeymoon and we're all glad that you had a great time with us.

Frederic and the team should be sending you by email the recipes that you were taught in the classes, and feel free to write a review here on TA regarding those experiences that you had at our restaurants.

(Quali and Quah are both listed in the restaurant sections here on TA for Lombok).

Happy Travels and Eating!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
The Oberoi, Lombok
The Oberoi, Lombok
#2 of 3 in Tanjung
The Chandi Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Qunci Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!